Gun maker Remington moving to Georgia from N.Y.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gun-maker-remington-moving-to-georgia-from-ny/ar-AAQsIhn?ocid=SL5GDHP&li=BBnb7Kz

Very sad news.  Has anyone heard from Governor Hochul or Senator Schumer or Senator Gillibrand what they are doing to keep Remington in New York State?  Or is it politicians like them who are driving business out of New York State?

New York is not open for business, its closing businesses.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter how much corporate welfare they throw at Remington... NY has made it impossible for them to do business here. Why would they stay in this climate.  Georgia is giving them tax breaks as well as utilities incentives to come.  NY could offer the same and more but it still makes sence for them to go someplace that supports there business and politics. 

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Doesn't matter how much corporate welfare they throw at Remington... NY has made it impossible for them to do business here. Why would they stay in this climate.  Georgia is giving them tax breaks as well as utilities incentives to come.  NY could offer the same and more but it still makes sence for them to go someplace that supports there business and politics. 

The cowards that run new York state would do very little for a fire arms mfg. It's a smart move for them to relocate.

Dont know about new owners for remington.  My company has been bought and sold at least 5 times in 23 years. Owners persay are investmen bankers . They could care less if we make a quality product anymore.. they care even less about the blue collar  workers that make the product. All they care about is the 22% or better return on their  investment. I hope the owners for Remington  make a difference.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Dont know about new owners for remington.  My company has been bought and sold at least 5 times in 23 years. Owners persay are investmen bankers . They could care less if we make a quality product anymore.. they care even less about the blue collar  workers that make the product. All they care about is the 22% or better return on their  investment. I hope the owners for Remington  make a difference.

This lately seems to be the new corporate mantra!!

Acquire, drain, make a profit and move on. :( 

3 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

This lately seems to be the new corporate mantra!!

Acquire, drain, make a profit and move on. :( 

I don't think that's a new mantra,sadly. 

I think it is pretty messed up that big companies shop around for the biggest tax breaks and other incentives for relocating.  It pits states against states and is a race to the bottom.

5 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I think it is pretty messed up that big companies shop around for the biggest tax breaks and other incentives for relocating.  It pits states against states and is a race to the bottom.

I see jt here on the local level ,Walmart's tax breaks run out in amherst ,they abandon the building and move 3 miles down the road and get another 10 years of tax breaks.

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

Who do you think is offering the tax breaks?  The good fairy?

If the states want to pit themselves against each other, it's not the corporations that are causing the problem.

Of course they're going to look at incentives to relocate.  Their stock holders would shoot them if they didn't.  It's the elected hacks that are destroying their states by offering tax breaks.  A state with a business friendly climate, skilled labor and low taxes doesn't need to offer anything to attract businesses.  And they will not only locate there, they will stay there.  States that offer breaks to relocate often try to screw the company as soon as the breaks end.

Corporations don't control this game, no matter how much the left wants to vilify them.  The elected hacks control it, but the left never attacks them for it.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Who do you think is offering the tax breaks?  The good fairy?

If the states want to pit themselves against each other, it's not the corporations that are causing the problem.

Of course they're going to look at incentives to relocate.  Their stock holders would shoot them if they didn't.  It's the elected hacks that are destroying their states by offering tax breaks.  A state with a business friendly climate, skilled labor and low taxes doesn't need to offer anything to attract businesses.  And they will not only locate there, they will stay there.  States that offer breaks to relocate often try to screw the company as soon as the breaks end.

Corporations don't control this game, no matter how much the left wants to vilify them.  The elected hacks control it, but the left never attacks them for it.

Who do you think asks for the tax breaks? nobody? they just get offered? 

If you think local politicians control that game you give them a lot more credit than they deserve.

I get that you believe in free market,but I think by now it is pretty clear that unregulated markets do not benefit many besides the board members. 

Trickle down effect is just that,a trickle.

3 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

I get that you believe in free market,but I think by now it is pretty clear that unregulated markets do not benefit many besides the board members. 

Yes, it's pretty clear that we should just let the Gov't take over everything, as their track record is way better than capitalism !

NY state ran OTB into the ground.

Betting is as old as the red light district and NY managed to screw that up royally, so maybe we should put those board members in charge of the economy ? 

If it wasn't for big business's supporting and funding the country, we would be living in the stone age.

Their in the business of making money, not giving it away.

If it wasn't for the Gov't trying to suck big business teat dry, most companies would stay in their states, as big green was doing, but even they had enough of NY states BS.

The Gov't does nothing but tax the crap out of everything for no services given.

Those tax dollars seem to end up in the coffers of those politicians making the deals with corporations, rather than funding tax payer needs.

While the city is starting to come back to life, it's nowhere near what it was before, with a lot of workers doing their jobs remotely, which has a tremendous toll on the trickle down effect on all of the small businesses that supported them, including the money that has kept all of the city employees working.

Workers not using mass transit or paying tolls at the bridges & tunnels is going to have a very negative effect on the city filling it's coffers, which is the sole money maker for the state, as upstate is and has been a loss for a long time.

The trickle down effect of that is going to be a real mess in the next few years and the only way that's going to be counteracted, is with tax's paid by big businesses, as the tax payers will have no money left to pay their tax's.

Look at what AOC did with Amazon.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity.

You think that didn't effect NY city and state ?

That chess move she made will have ripple effects for years to come and businesses that were looking to move to NY, have located elsewhere because of that.

Many of the big tax paying businesses have leases that will expire in 2023.

When those leases end, so will their business's being located in NYC, which will lead to a trickle effect of devastation that may never be stopped.

Without deals being made, NYC and state will be finished.

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shoots100 said:

Yes, it's pretty clear that we should just let the Gov't take over everything, as their track record is way better than capitalism !

NY state ran OTB into the ground.

Betting is as old as the red light district and NY managed to screw that up royally, so maybe we should put those board members in charge of the economy ? 

If it wasn't for big business's supporting and funding the country, we would be living in the stone age.

Their in the business of making money, not giving it away.

If it wasn't for the Gov't trying to suck big business teat dry, most companies would stay in their states, as big green was doing, but even they had enough of NY states BS.

The Gov't does nothing but tax the crap out of everything for no services given.

Those tax dollars seem to end up in the coffers of those politicians making the deals with corporations, rather than funding tax payer needs.

While the city is starting to come back to life, it's nowhere near what it was before, with a lot of workers doing their jobs remotely, which has a tremendous toll on the trickle down effect on all of the small businesses that supported them, including the money that has kept all of the city employees working.

Workers not using mass transit or paying tolls at the bridges & tunnels is going to have a very negative effect on the city filling it's coffers, which is the sole money maker for the state, as upstate is and has been a loss for a long time.

The trickle down effect of that is going to be a real mess in the next few years and the only way that's going to be counteracted, is with tax's paid by big businesses, as the tax payers will have no money left to pay their tax's.

Look at what AOC did with Amazon.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity.

You think that didn't effect NY city and state ?

That chess move she made will have ripple effects for years to come and businesses that were looking to move to NY, have located elsewhere because of that.

Many of the big tax paying businesses have leases that will expire in 2023.

When those leases end, so will their business's being located in NYC, which will lead to a trickle effect of devastation that may never be stopped.

Without deals being made, NYC and state will be finished.

Ok,you are also firmly in the free market camp. Cool. 

The money politicians make from any of their dealings is peanuts compared to the money the big wigs make. 

I think the main job of politicians is to take the blame for shit the greedy ass super rich are doing.  But you keep on blaming the politicians,pffff.

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

The money politicians make from any of their dealings is peanuts compared to the money the big wigs make. 

I think the main job of politicians is to take the blame for shit the greedy ass super rich are doing.  But you keep on blaming the politicians,pffff.

The greedy rich do a better job of using that money then a bunch of politicians

I mean if that is  not right then why is north korea poor and backwards and south korea weathy and advance ? 

Amazon and tesla both run by those greedy rich guys  build rockets with like 1/4 the money it takes nasa to do it .

6 hours ago, phantom said:

The greedy rich do a better job of using that money then a bunch of politicians

I mean if that is  not right then why is north korea poor and backwards and south korea weathy and advance ? 

Amazon and tesla both run by those greedy rich guys  build rockets with like 1/4 the money it takes nasa to do it .

That's what we need,rockets. That will really.make our lives better.

12 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

At least I know where a CEO stands, not like a "bend which way the wind blows" politician.

I guess the $29 million dollar sea side estate Obama bought, was with his salary as President for eight years, speeches and book deals ? 

It's business as usual in DC.

Of course Big wigs make more money, as their being held accountable for their actions/decisions.

You don't see too many CEO's around that screw up, I wish it was the same way with politicians.

I'm down in the city almost every day.

Traffic is getting worse, but it's nowhere near the capacity it was before, with tourists afraid to visit because they fear for their safety and that also includes the workers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

At least I know where a CEO stands, not like a "bend which way the wind blows" politician.

I guess the $29 million dollar sea side estate Obama bought, was with his salary as President for eight years, speeches and book deals ? 

It's business as usual in DC.

Of course Big wigs make more money, as their being held accountable for their actions/decisions.

You don't see too many CEO's around that screw up, I wish it was the same way with politicians.

I'm down in the city almost every day.

Traffic is getting worse, but it's nowhere near the capacity it was before, with tourists afraid to visit because they fear for their safety and that also includes the workers.

You don't see ceo's screw up because they are not in the limelight,by design.  And if they do they get a nice severance package.  

A 29 million estate is also small change to what most ceo's are worth.

6 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

You don't see ceo's screw up because they are not in the limelight,by design.  And if they do they get a nice severance package.  

There's an old truism that is very apropos to today's economic reality.

If Democrats understood Economics, they wouldn't be Democrats. 

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

There's an old truism that is very apropos to today's economic reality.

If Democrats understood Economics, they wouldn't be Democrats. 

Well you got people on the far left even saying math is racist .  How can these folks ever run things like the economy  when they spend so much time being influenced by people with those crazy views .  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

CEO's get paid by corporations with money people have willfully given them in exchange for a product they obviously thought was worth the money.  Their "golden parachutes" don't cost taxpayers a dime either.  Politicians are getting rich on money they steal from taxpayers without their approval.  If you can't see the difference there, you will never understand the problem.

As far as private business going to space, NASA is completely funded by taxpayers and it is not held accountable for any of the billions it spends to pursue it's space exploits.  A private enterprise going to space doesn't cost taxpayers a dime and they do it at far less cost to the people who need to have a vehicle to put their products in space.  

The government hates competition, because competition exposes the waste, fraud and stupidity of government programs for all to see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

CEO's get paid by corporations with money people have willfully given them in exchange for a product they obviously thought was worth the money.  Their "golden parachutes" don't cost taxpayers a dime either.  Politicians are getting rich on money they steal from taxpayers without their approval.  If you can't see the difference there, you will never understand the problem.

As far as private business going to space, NASA is completely funded by taxpayers and it is not held accountable for any of the billions it spends to pursue it's space exploits.  A private enterprise going to space doesn't cost taxpayers a dime and they do it at far less cost to the people who need to have a vehicle to put their products in space.  

The government hates competition, because competition exposes the waste, fraud and stupidity of government programs for all to see.

Politicians don't steal much from taxpayers but from private businesses that want to grease the wheels.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Politicians don't steal much from taxpayers but from private businesses that want to grease the wheels.

????

So the bloated Gov't contracts (paid for by our Tax's, I/E Taxpayers) that they approve for their friends + family members and get a kick back on,  isn't stealing from the tax payers ?

The wheels don't need to be greased, when your in charge of the wheel greasing operation !

• Like 1