Anyone hunt small 5 acre size spots

luberhill

I hunt my home property of 5 acres.  It’s surrounded by hundreds of acres of woods though.  Across the street a couple thousand.  My neighbors are a hundreds of feet away, and do not hunt.  The landowner behind me, has 80 acres, but she’s landlocked in, I know she routinely walks her land.  I used to hunt her land, but decided to stop a couple years ago.  I decided to stay out of the woods behind my house as much as possible.  I figured if shes walking routinely, maybe some of the older bucks(antler restriction zone) might utilize my property more, if I am staying out.  I also built an enclosed blind, to help encapsulate my scent.  I also created a mock scrape, and it paid off the first season with a nice 7 pointer.  I have seen more bucks these passed couple seasons than in my previous 8 seasons here.  It just seems to work for me in my situation here.  Zero ag, and old growth pine forests here, with big tracts of undeveloped land make this sort of a big woods scenario.  

Edited by Bionic

My cousin shot a monster on a 3 acre piece that he alone could hunt that butted up to a piece of state prison land . Shot it last minute of the late archery on last day . Hunted it only  when the wind was perfect  think he was in the stand 6 times from beginning of archery through gun and late season.

I have hunted two different pieces that were 5-6 acres.  As Bionic suggested, it matters what is around it.  One has woods and fields around it.  I usually see decent movement.  The other has 2 new houses next to it.  That one doesn't work anymore.  By making any habitat improvements that you can (food, cover, water etc) and hunting it carefully, 5 acres can produce year after year.  I have access to a few hundred acres, but I have taken 4 bucks off those two little properties over the years.

I owned a narrow chunk of land, that was just a bit larger than that, for about 5 years.  It was narrow but deep and about half open field and half mature hardwoods.  

It was about half way between our place and my parents, and it was nice having that extra spot to hunt.  The hunting was ok there for a few years, until the year after I killed two good sized bucks on it (one on opening day of bow and the other on opening day of gun).

That year, neighbors on either side put up stands within site of mine (I didn’t have enough woods there for more than one).   I don’t think I saw any deer there after that.  There was always someone in one of those when I hunted there.  I sold it the for about 2 times what I paid the following year.     

I guess it was worth it for the profit, a fair amount of meat, a couple of shoulder mounts, and the extra place to hunt, but I don’t miss the maintenance and taxes.  

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Biggest issue hunting (specially bow hunting) a small piece is retrieval of the deer. At least with a fire arm you can take a shoulder shot and anchor it there. 

Joe’s lane is a half mile long , and 250 yards wide , most stands are towards the center . There a neighbor who’s land mirrors Joe’s , but is maybe 60 yards wide, if it makes it past there , we can’t set foot on the next spot . The stand I use often is 200 yards of field till no mans land .

We used to "hunt" a 2 acre patch of brush immediately behind a house during the firearms season. We wouldn't go near the place during the first week or so while the main woods near there was hunted hard by us and others. The patch would fill up with deer. Since we were within 500 feet of a house on the West side and a trailer park on the North side, the drivers couldn't shoot. We would push it from the East towards the West with a blocker on the North side. Deer that exited the patch to the South ran square into a no win ambush on my in-laws property. Deer that exited West ran across a lawn and crossed the road to run hundreds of yards down a hedge row seeking a large woods. Stander was placed near the end of the hedge near the woods. Deer were usually walking by the time they got there. We stacked them up. One year we figured 27 deer came out of that little patch!

Edited by Bigfoot 327
  • Like 1

Thought of this thread recently. My property is only 3.75 acres. Although it's very small, in acreage, it has a lot going for it. It's a rectangle, only ~60 yards wide by ~375 yards long. One side is bordered by the neighbors thicket for bedding, but the front of the other side ~125 yards is bordered by an ag field, the back 250 cuts across a funnel (large thicket/bedding) that runs in between 2 big ag fields, and the backside is bordered by another ag field. I have a lot of cam activity on my little 3.75 acre property. I jokingly tell people that I don't know of many bowhunters that can shoot all the way across their property (60 yards wide)! LOL I have permission to hunt the 60 acre farm that borders mine also, but honestly, my property seems to get more activity for some reason. I had a buck chasing 2 does through my back yard last night! 
Pics are recent pics on my 3.75 acres. 
SYEW0065.jpg
SYFW0053.jpg
SYFW0027.jpg
SYFW0028.jpg
SYFW0035_(2).jpg
SYFW0036_(2).jpg
55AECA1C-E723-4AB6-8E85-BC8DCCA37F59.jpg
SYEW0011.jpg
CB895ADB-8EAD-4095-9CA0-72CCDB845493.jpg

• Like 4

I used to hunt a small 5 acre postage stamp looking woods in Illinois. We killed a lot of deer out of that woods, it pretty much had 1 trail running through the middle of it that the deer would use going from a feeding area to bedding. Most times of year it was like clockwork when they would come through. 

2 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Thought of this thread recently. My property is only 3.75 acres. Although it's very small, in acreage, it has a lot going for it. It's a rectangle, only ~60 yards wide by ~375 yards long. One side is bordered by the neighbors thicket for bedding, but the front of the other side ~125 yards is bordered by an ag field, the back 250 cuts across a funnel (large thicket/bedding) that runs in between 2 big ag fields, and the backside is bordered by another ag field. I have a lot of cam activity on my little 3.75 acre property. I jokingly tell people that I don't know of many bowhunters that can shoot all the way across their property (60 yards wide)! LOL I have permission to hunt the 60 acre farm that borders mine also, but honestly, my property seems to get more activity for some reason. I had a buck chasing 2 does through my back yard last night! 
SYEW0065.jpg
SYFW0053.jpg
SYFW0027.jpg
SYFW0028.jpg
SYFW0035_(2).jpg
SYFW0036_(2).jpg
SYEW0011.jpg

How far are you from Queens ?

2 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

SYEW0065.jpg
SYFW0053.jpg
SYFW0027.jpg
SYFW0028.jpg
SYFW0035_(2).jpg
SYFW0036_(2).jpg
SYEW0011.jpg

Your inches per acre is astounding!

• Haha 1