First Deer Blind

PraiseDiana

7 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Looks awesome. Add insulation and a buddy heater to it and weather will no longer be a deterrent.

Already got the buddy heater ready! Using the 1lb tanks this year, but I'll get the 20lb tank adapter for next year.

I decided against insulation since I think the mice would get in there.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I built a 5' x 6' blind from a pressure treated 2x6 frame, two cattle panels, a layer of black plastic and some camo tarp.  I also have an Ameristep Brickhouse that I move around when I'm trying to get out of the weather.

Your blind looks great!  I like the cement footings.

Thanks! The footings were a huge pain to haul in to the woods, but between those and the pressure treated floor frame I think it should last a while.

51 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Looks great , carpeting on the floor helps to keep things quiet !

The cheap foam mats for garages and exercise equipment work good too. It was a breeze cutting them to size.

ł need to get a good picture of inside but here is mine:

Screenshot_20211110-131916_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

What did you come up with for an all in total cost?
Built one a few years back and I couldn't even touch it now for the price it cost me back then.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Part of the reason I waited so late was for lumber prices to fall back down! Lumber cost was $360 so with screws, hinges, roofing felt, deck stain etc. added on it was right about $500.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Looks awesome!!! Here's mine.

20210523_143229.jpg

Thanks! That looks great too! I did look at buying a blind like this, and when lumber prices were stupid high the price difference wasn't that much. In the end I decided to wait it out until lumber got cheap again. Plus I needed something I could haul into the woods in pieces.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PraiseDiana said:

Thanks! That looks great too! I did look at buying a blind like this, and when lumber prices were stupid high the price difference wasn't that much. In the end I decided to wait it out until lumber got cheap again. Plus I needed something I could haul into the woods in pieces.

Yeah lumber prices are insane, I bought the redneck but I made the base out of all pressure treated lumber, it's all 2x6 and 4x4 construction and pressure treated plywood. Just the base alone cost me about $500 to make, crazy. But it's extremely sturdy and heavy as heck. Like  you I have the buddy heater at the ready. Well even if we don't get deer, we will be nice and toasty. Best of luck.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PraiseDiana said:

I was wondering about this too. Probably with the heater in there I won't need any insulation anyway.

In my redneck if I close the windows my body heat alone was enough to keep me comfortable even in temps last week that were in the low 20s in the morning. I would imagine with the buddy heater on low I can hunt in a t shirt.

• Like 2

Agreed, my tower is 4’x6’ by about 6.5’-7’ interior height.  It get very warm in here on low, on high….forget it, way too hot.  Built tight, no insulation.  

Also, I put boards on the roof, then covered with tin roof, rather than perlings, and tin roof alone because the roof might condensate, and drip down when heated up inside under cold days.  There are other ways around that too, but its how we built mine.

F615BE20-508E-425A-B35B-22C66002BDDB.jpeg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Agreed, my tower is 4’x6’ by about 6.5’-7’ interior height.  It get very warm in here on low, on high….forget it, way too hot.  Built tight, no insulation.  

Also, I put boards on the roof, then covered with tin roof, rather than perlings, and tin roof alone because the roof might condensate, and drip down when heated up inside under cold days.  There are other ways around that too, but its how we built mine.

F615BE20-508E-425A-B35B-22C66002BDDB.jpeg

Very nice!!

• Thanks 1