Hunting does during rut

regulat0r

I know this might sound strange but I’m looking specifically for strategies to hunt does during the rut. I was fortunate enough to to take a buck early season and now have a DMP for my area. I have a few days of vaca coming up and would love to take a doe w my bow. I’m in Hudson valley area and I hunt mornings only.  I was planning on hunting thick cover and bedding bc that is where bucks will be pushing does. Anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks!

@Lomax- I’m pretty sure I would get very tired running after a buck through the woods with a bow in my hand hoping he would lead me to a doe…HA. I know what you’re saying. I’ll do that. If anything, I’ll hunt for the bucks but instead of letting the doe walk past first waiting for the buck to step out I’ll shoot her first!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, regulat0r said:

I know this might sound strange but I’m looking specifically for strategies to hunt does during the rut. I was fortunate enough to to take a buck early season and now have a DMP for my area. I have a few days of vaca coming up and would love to take a doe w my bow. I’m in Hudson valley area and I hunt mornings only.  I was planning on hunting thick cover and bedding bc that is where bucks will be pushing does. Anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Are you hunting state or private land? I'm in the Hudson Valley and there are plenty of doe but on stateland it's a hell of a drag. 

PM me and maybe I can help you

2 minutes ago, regulat0r said:

@Lomax- I’m pretty sure I would get very tired running after a buck through the woods with a bow in my hand hoping he would lead me to a doe…HA. I know what you’re saying. I’ll do that. If anything, I’ll hunt for the bucks but instead of letting the doe walk past first waiting for the buck to step out I’ll shoot her first!

After I posted I thought hmmm hope they don’t interpret that to be chase a buck.  But you’re intuitive and nailed it.   You hunt your normal buck haunts and this time of year a buck will push a doe past just shoot her first as they typically come quick in front of the buck.  Just reverse buck hunting.  Oh Btw if you run into fawn(s) in the woods w/out moma use a fawn bleat can call and sometimes doe will come to check on fawns.  Otherwise Foodsources.