How high do you go?

nybuckboy

Great topic. For me every sit is different, I use different climbers different ways depending on the setup. Usually I sit 16 to 22 feet but in certain spots I go way up and it pays off. For rifle at my cabin 30 feet is necessary but rifle on stateland 18 feet is fine.

For bow 16 to 20 feet works

I'm usually between 15-20' but also depends on the canopy and where I'm hunting.  Years ago I had a stand just outside of letchworth in an apple orchard that was maybe 12' but it worked for that spot and I never seen more deer out of any other stand.

I also had a stand in Letchworth over looking the river bottom for gun. I would climb 10-12' up the tree into the stand but the stand faced over the cliff and straight down was 43 yards 127'.  That stand was an amazing stand to be in on opening day when the deer would come running from the top shelves  down into the river bottom. I was set where the river bottom came to a pinch point the deer either had to cross the river come up the mountain or turn around and run back where they came from.

About 15 is the lowest I would even consider, closer o 20 is way better. In most forest cover it becomes a trade off. The higher you get, to a point, the your visibility suffers, the lower you are the more likely you will get picked off from their eyes and noses.
Being strictly a bowhunter I will trade long distance visibility for the added befits of getting my scent higher up and have more concealment. Also the location plays a roll. On my Midwest properties I can get away with set ups that would never work in NY and CT. The stupid amount of hunting pressure in this area will have deer hyper vigilant and more prone to looking up . My NE set ups tend to higher and in way heavier cover then the Midwest.

• Like 2

I have tried low to high. It seems in high pressure areas you get up high like 25 feet the deer dont spot you as easily. Only problem is your shot angles at that height.

I like to keep it around 15 20 feet. Your best option is good cover. Sometimes that perfect tree In the perfect spot has no cover so height is the way to go.

We have ladder stands from 12 to 16 ft to the platforms, wife has dibs on the lower ones. My pull rope is 22 ft long, I hook it to my upper part of my climber and when its taught I know I’m 20 ft up or so . 

Edited by rob-c

Most of the time I climb until my rope starts to lift my bow. That is 22 feet to the bottom of my climber. If I have to go higher for cover or to keep my scent above another level, I do it. On the same note, sometimes when the leaves are still on, I may only go up 15 feet so I can have a little bigger field of vision.