Gun opener this coming Saturday , following blood in the rain ?

luberhill

29 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I can’t imagine trying to follow blood in wet leaves with rain 

that's why I use a slug gun - only happy trails when they get hit with one of these babies i.e. lightfield slugs.

this is the slug from my 10 pointer last year - never exited. Deer went about 15 yards. Never had a deer go more than 25 yards when hit with one of these babies.

20201130_120109.jpg

Edited by Engraver99
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Engraver99 said:

that's why I use a slug gun - only happy trails when they get hit with one of these babies i.e. lightfield slugs.

this is the slug from my 10 pointer last year - never exited. Deer went about 15 yards. Never had a deer go more than 25 yards when hit with one of these babies.

20201130_120109.jpg

Lightfields are legit. I've killed a lot of deer with them. Energy dump is amazing. People bitch they don't exit for 2 holes to track. SMH........Never had one go more than 20 yards. Had 2 consecutive deer with slug just under skin of opposite shoulder. One was a big doe at 11 yards with a 3". Deer just fall over

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Lightfields are legit. I've killed a lot of deer with them. Energy dump is amazing. People bitch they don't exit for 2 holes to track. SMH........Never had one go more than 20 yards. Had 2 consecutive deer with slug just under skin of opposite shoulder. One was a big doe at 11 yards with a 3". Deer just fall over

yea, too bad they don't make em anymore. Got about 10 boxes left hoping they last me till I can't hunt anymore (am 62)...lol

On 11/14/2021 at 1:15 PM, luberhill said:

I’ve been lucky I guess , most all my deer have dropped in 20 yards max

But this weather has been nothing but rain everyday .

It will for sure make me be xtra sure my shot is perfect !

I can’t imagine trying to follow blood in wet leaves with rain 

I do not find tracking deer in the rain anymore difficult than when dry. Blood is harder to follow if not heavy, but leaves kick up good. 

I am impatient though and never wait as long as I should. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

30-06 put it on the shoulder 90% of the time they crumble right there or make it 20 yards.  Same with my 20 if it's in the chest they aren't going far and usually leave enough blood you can track then in a hurricane.

Ditto with the 06. Or the 12 gauge with 300 grain. Usually opening day it's a shoulder shot regardless of weather.  Don't want them on another property to track. 

• Like 1

I have been hunting the edge of a swamp on that day for the last three years.  On all three, my deer dropped dead in the swamp.  

“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, so that’s the stand I will be again this year.  Rain won’t affect my recovery at all, but I will pack my tree umbrella if there is some in the forecast.

I have done quite a bit of hunting the last few years under that umbrella (mostly in October in the Northern zone). I have yet to see a deer when it is deployed.  It seems that they often show up when the rain stops and I take it down though.

I tried for the shoulder blade when the buck was on dry ground last year, but missed it my an inch.

Edited by wolc123