Venison Heart

Team Hoyt

Our dog would be very disappointed if he didn't get the heart and liver.  When I come home smelling of dead deer he knows what it means.  It supplements his regular diet for a week and he goes crazy over it.  The GF cubes it up and cooks it in a slow cooker with some beef broth.  Yes, he is spoiled but I do not consider it a waste.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, YFKI1983 said:

I've done this a couple of times. You can do it without whiskey or substitute with wine. I enjoy the heart.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I’ve used several of her recipes. That one looks terrific! If and when I get a deer, I am torn between pickling it or her version. 

i've never had any thought to put heart in grind. heart is very flavorful but it's a dense meat with a tight grain unlike your typical steak cuts. i've always fried it up in a cast iron pan.  many people have a bad experience because they don't butterfly it out or trim all the tendons inside or the hard fat on the outside. heart tacos are great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnplav said:

I tried a batch of @wolc123’s Valentines Day special… pickled deer heart.  How long should I wait before I try it?? 

2931CC89-B80B-4ED7-9F73-EDE943F90D11.jpeg

27A35627-03E1-4B1D-9EA4-D409B09259D5.jpeg

965A2DD2-E88A-460C-A393-3793911BCF7E.jpeg

27E740BF-6F5D-48DC-82EC-9C6105112DBB.jpeg

It depends on your taste.  If you like the way un pickled heart tastes (some folks do), then you cant eat it too quick.  It keeps for a couple weeks in the fridge, taking on more and more of the sweet “pickle” flavor.  I like it best about 24 hours after it hits the juice.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

It depends on your taste.  If you like the way un pickled heart tastes (some folks do), then you cant eat it too quick.  It keeps for a couple weeks in the fridge, taking on more and more of the sweet “pickle” flavor.  I like it best about 24 hours after it hits the juice.  

I’d like to try this and still have the heart from my buck that I didn’t freeze yet. Can I ask you to either post or send me your recipe?

21 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I’d like to try this and still have the heart from my buck that I didn’t freeze yet. Can I ask you to either post or send me your recipe?

This was my grandmas recipe for beef heart and tongue.  I like the tongue the best from those and I may need to supplement my venison heart this year with a couple of those If I don’t end up with a few more.  I lost my doe heart and my bb is not going to cut it on its own.

733E52D9-BDE2-48DD-A16E-9E8AAF953725.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

This was my grandmas recipe for beef heart and tongue.  I like the tongue the best from those and I may need to supplement my venison heart this year with a couple of those I’d I don’t end up with a few more.  I lost my doe heart and my bb is not going yo cut it on its own.
733E52D9-BDE2-48DD-A16E-9E8AAF953725.thumb.jpeg.8ab7414dbc3f26d57c735069014f4be7.jpeg

Awesome Wolc…I am a sucker for hand written recipes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

This was my grandmas recipe for beef heart and tongue.  I like the tongue the best from those and I may need to supplement my venison heart this year with a couple of those If I don’t end up with a few more.  I lost my doe heart and my bb is not going to cut it on its own.

Out of likes so thank you!

On 11/22/2021 at 9:35 PM, wolc123 said:

I gave it a go, and like John, added some onion. And threw in a bay leaf for the visual. Do they add taste or are they just for decoration? I can’t taste them.

75B91E5C-C843-4C88-A385-EE3F656EAE47.jpeg

CCE3824A-2FF3-49B2-9B2B-8F95452E59C5.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 5

On 11/14/2021 at 8:40 PM, wolc123 said:

I should have two deer hearts right now, but I forgot a plastic bag and lost the larger of the two.  Hopefully, I will end up with a few more deer hearts by January 1st, or she will need to use a beef heart or two.  

When I forget a plastic bag I just toss the heart back in the cavity where it came from. Haven't had one pop out yet during transport back to the cabin.