Venison Heart

Team Hoyt

47 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

When I forget a plastic bag I just toss the heart back in the cavity where it came from. Haven't had one pop out yet during transport back to the cabin. 

I tried that, but I had to manually drag that one down from near the top of an Adirondack mountain ridge.  Considerable twisting and rolling of the carcass was involved, resulting in the loss of the heart and liver.  

The doe had to have been at least 3.5 years old, so they probably would have been tough anyhow, based on how chewy a tenderloin was for breakfast the next morning.  

I retraced my drag path several times looking for them, but it was about half a mile of mostly wet brown leaves, so no luck finding them.  It wouldn’t have been a problem at home in wny, where I can usually drive a tractor or side by side right up to where I gut them.

• Like 1

Cut heart into 3 or 4 pieces and clean thoroughly. In a saucepan cover heart with water, add one beef bouillon cube and parboil until tender. Remove heart, saving the broth. Chill both overnight. Next day strain broth with a fine strainer to remove fat. Layer sliced heart and thin sliced raw onions in a jar. Add 1/4 tsp basil on top. Add equal parts broth and white vinegar to the jar to cover contents. Refrigerate and enjoy in 2 - 3 days. Simple and delicious. 

20211130_150845.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So I came into 10 deer hearts, don’t ask I’m not telling lol. I am going to be pickling at least half. These are all good sized adults. what should I expect to get, a pint per heart? any extra tips. I am going to use Wolc’s Moms recipe with onion added I think. This needs to be super as some is going to the source and if it is a hit maybe the source continues which would be stellar!

How do I get ahold of Mike to trim the hearts as it specifies in the recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So I came into 10 deer hearts, don’t ask I’m not telling lol. I am going to be pickling at least half. These are all good sized adults. what should I expect to get, a pint per heart? any extra tips. I am going to use Wolc’s Moms recipe with onion added I think. This needs to be super as some is going to the source and if it is a hit maybe the source continues which would be stellar!

How do I get ahold of Mike to trim the hearts as it specifies in the recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm jealous! I made pickled heart this year and LOVE it! Grew up eating pickled beef and lamb tongue but never had heart pickled. I'm hooked!

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

@wolc......do you boil the heart for around an hr. Befpre pickeling? My buddy shot a nice buck last night so I saved the heart from the yote pile.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

It looks like it was about an hour and 15 minutes per a recent  note that my wife must have added (see hand written recipe card on prior page).

I have (3) deer hearts in the freezer now and will keep trying for another, until 20 minutes past sunset tomorrow.  I also have a couple of beef tongues in the freezer that will go in the kettle.  

3 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

God willing, in 2022 I can save 10 deer heart for you between my friends and family hunts.

Thanks, I appreciate your kind offer, but my wife usually has plenty, with 3 or four a year.  Unlike my grandmother and mother, my wife does the job of preparing them somewhat reluctantly, and is a little grossed out by it (especially the slicing up part and the skinning of the tongues).  

The beef tongues are actually my favorites, but they seem to gross her out more than the deer hearts.  

The Valentine’s Day cooking date works out well for our annual President’s day weekend ice fishing trip, up to her parent’s place, in the Adirondacks.  Her folks think the tongue is gross, so she keeps the hearts separate for them (they really like that).  Most of what I end up eating is the beef tongue (deer tongues are too small to mess with).  

We raised beef cattle when I was a kid, and the pickled hearts and tongues that my grandma and mom made were some of my fondest childhood memories.  From the time I started eating solid food, the pickled tongue has been my favorite.  

It’s funny you mention saving around 10.  One of my best friends, at my first job, after I graduated college, would save about that many for me every year.  He and his friends hunted deer with big drives down in the southern tier, where he had a camp. My mom never minded making that many for me. 

Edited by wolc123