I’ve always aimed for the crease on a broadside shot , now ?

luberhill

• luberhill changed the title to I’ve always aimed for the crease on a broadside shot , now ?

Depends on the exact angle, more than anything else. Sometimes we overthink things. I try to avoid hitting the shoulder,so just behind the line. Large margin of error and will take out both lungs. I aim center line or a smidge higher...better than aiming too low. Heart shot deer almost always bolt and can run a good 100 feet or more dead on their feet.. the longer the shot the more likely I am to aim for center of the boiler maker for margin of error.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

Depends on the exact angle, more than anything else. Sometimes we overthink things. I try to avoid hitting the shoulder,so just behind the line. Large margin of error and will take out both lungs. I aim center line or a smidge higher...better than aiming too low. Heart shot deer almost always bolt and can run a good 100 feet or more dead on their feet.. the longer the shot the more likely I am to aim for center of the boiler maker for margin of error.

It really is amazing how far they can go with no heart - my last two rifle deer were heart shots and they both made it 30-40 yards before tumbling. Thinking I'll aim a smidge higher this year.

• Like 1