Rifle or Shotgun

nybuckboy

8 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I have butchered about 10 that were killed with rifles and close to a hundred that were killed with shotguns.  

The one you are referring to, that my neighbor hip shot with his .243, had a good order of magnitude more meat damage than any of the shotgun kills that I have cut up.

The Bushnell Banner scope on my Marlin 512 went bad on me a few years ago, resulting in two hits about 15” to the left of my intended point of impact, one just under and the other thru the spine above the guts. Those Hornady Sst’s  hit from a hundred yards away.  They bloodied up a chop or two.  

I honestly can’t think of any that I butchered, and were killed with shotguns, where there was extensive meat damage.    

I will try to take some pictures for you this year, because you sound a little skeptical.  When was the last time you butchered one that was killed with a shotgun ?

I worked for a buddy of mine skinning and butchering for several years back in the early 2000's seen plenty of shotgun killed deer. Lots that were hit poorly. Believe me, they were not pretty. Just as much wasted meat if not more, then rifle caliber.

Your theory a bad hit with a shotgun is going to waste much less meat just isn't true. 

I hate slug hunting. Just because it's a big chunk of lead doesn't mean any more efficiency in killing power. I've seen a lot of deer lost with slugs, due to a variety of reasons. The reasons I hate them, is accuracy is shit generally speaking compared to rifles, they drop quickly, limited range, heavy recoil, heavier guns typically. I'd be happy if I never slug gun hunted again. I'll gladly choose a muzzleloader over a slug gun and I do. Thankfully all of the areas I primarily hunt are rifle now.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

The good part is in shotgun only areas you can shoot a shotgun with a rifled barrel.....as you know they shoot a sabot vs. a slug. If you ever get a chance to put a few down range from a Savage 220 I think you will be quite impressed. Plenty of guys on this forum shoot the 220 and it is an Absolute tack driver.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

The good part is in shotgun only areas you can shoot a shotgun with a rifled barrel.....as you know they shoot a sabot vs. a slug. If you ever get a chance to put a few down range from a Savage 220 I think you will be quite impressed. Plenty of guys on this forum shoot the 220 and it is an Absolute tack driver.

I agree the sabot shooting rifled barrel shotguns are very accurate. We used to do the battleship game at 50 yards back when ammo was affordable 10+ yrs ago.

But the recoil still loosens those fillings. I would rather shoot a 308 vs a slug gun.

• Like 1

I've seen good things from them, but I'd still never choose one over a rifle in any scenario. If I hunted shotgun areas more often I'd buy a 220, but the few times a year I do, my muzzleloader is my gun of choice.

• Like 1

I've seen good things from them, but I'd still never choose one over a rifle in any scenario. If I hunted shotgun areas more often I'd buy a 220, but the few times a year I do, my muzzleloader is my gun of choice.

I would do the same if it was only a few times a year.....but since it's all season for us....everyone on the property shoots a 220.

The best part is they aren't cheap and neither is the ammo. You can be into a real nice rifle and ammo for almost half the price of a 200.

• Like 1

I would do the same if it was only a few times a year.....but since it's all season for us....everyone on the property shoots a 220.

The best part is they aren't cheap and neither is the ammo. You can be into a real nice rifle and ammo for almost half the price of a 200.

I grew up in the northern rifle zone so I've always had a "thing" for rifles. Plus I used to sell firearms so I got some amazing deals through the vendors over the years. Of course I have a favorite rifle so usually that one gets the most woods time, not to jinx myself, but I've never missed a single deer with that gun.

I resisted changing to a rifle for the longest time when they where made legal in our area. I got bored 3 seasons ago and took out the 30-.06 and haven't looked back since. There is nothing wrong with my 12ga 1100 with a rifled barrel and a no power red dot, I've killed a pile of deer with that gun and most dead before they hit the ground but there is just something different about having the rifle out there. 

• Like 1

There isn’t one single thing a shotgun does better than a rifle for deer hunting.

There’s a zero percent chance I would ever choose a shotgun over a rifle where a rifle were legal.

I’ve killed my share of deer with shotguns and was never impressed with the way a slug killed deer. I hope my 2 slug guns rot in the back of the safe before I ever have to use them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

There isn’t one single thing a shotgun does better than a rifle for deer hunting.

There’s a zero percent chance I would ever choose a shotgun over a rifle where a rifle were legal.

I’ve killed my share of deer with shotguns and was never impressed with the way a slug killed deer. I hope my 2 slug guns rot in the back of the safe before I ever have to use them again.

Shotguns DO, however, work much better for shooting flying birds,,,,,Which is more fun than deer hunting, anyway..Hehehehe..

38 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I loved my 20 gage 1100 but as soon as rifle was legal I never touch it now .

Except if I hunt Onondaga Cty , but I’d probably choose my muzzleloader over the 20

1 minute ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I agree with the first part not so sure on the second…

Hehehehe...  I deer hunt because I like venison.... Other than that I don't much care about the  damn things...

Wingshooting is much more fun....Besides, birds are easier to carry back home and the decoys are much lighter... <<GRIN>>....

• Like 2

I choose my 870 12 gauge over my 270. I think it probably is because of the history of the gun more then anything else. The gun was my grandfather,  then my father's,  and now mine.

Also because the only rifle I own is a salvage axis II 270 and quite honestly I don't like the gun. 

I put a scope on my TC black diamond this year and plan to use that more often this season.

Because of laws and areas I hunted long ago I had to use a shotgun firing the old Foster slugs for many years. Their main short comings of less than stellar fine accuracy and lack of long range shots is something I adapted to much the same as I do when archery or handgun hunting. I know my limitations and keep my shots within them. My style of Deer hunting which is mostly still hunting or tracking in heavier cover obtaining short range shots is well suited to the limitations of slugs. For me there is no question of a slug's killing power, placed right they always gave me great results, most fell where they stood and every season I always got my Deer so zero complaints in that respect.

That being said there were a few times I would not take a tough shot because of those performance limitations and why the main reason these days I hunt with rifles and use setups and calibers suited to the terrain and ranges I am hunting. If I have a tough shot where I have to thread the needle I need in my hands an accurate rifle.

Al

Edited by airedale

8J  - Ontario County here...

In 2009 I switched from using a Rem 870 12 gauge with a rifled barrel & Red dot scope to a CVA Buckhorn .50 caliber muzzleloader with a 3 x 9 scope. First season with a mix of carrying both the 870 and CVA depending on mood.  since then the 870 hasn't been shot. (It's a dedicated slug gun that I never change over to a field barrel).

2 years ago I upgraded to a Traditions Pursuit G4 ultralight .50 caliber and have been carrying that every since.

When Ontario County started allowing rifles, I stuck with the muzzleloader, even though I have a Rem 700 SPS in .308  - I've carried the .308 if sitting at a distance watching a field where deer are feeding, but it's only been a handful of times over the years.

My oldest Daughter has been hunting for 8+ years now, when she started, I got her a Mossy 500 20 gauge with a rifled barrel.  It's a tack drive and a lot easier on the shoulder then the 12 gauge.

If I ever went back to carrying a slug gun, I would probably go the 20 gauge route, expectably after pulling the 870 out of the safe last month and disassembling and cleaning it - what a heavy-ass hunk of steel and wood that thing is.... 

I hunted forever with my 870 12 gauge Xpress shotgun.  I choose this gun because it wasn't fancy.  I did put a nice Hastings cantilever scope rifle barrel on it and replace trigger.  It was my rock solid and never fail to work gun.  Just rack it and ice breaks away.  I never care what weather I went out in.  But I did do maintenance after hunt.  It took a lot of deer.

Well the time came to pass that gun to my SIL.  I now hunt with my absolutely pristine  Marlin 30/30 that shoots like extending my finger.  But makes me mad when I get it wet.  However I finally come to realize what good are they unless I enjoy them.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 7:07 AM, suburbanfarmer said:

I agree the sabot shooting rifled barrel shotguns are very accurate. We used to do the battleship game at 50 yards back when ammo was affordable 10+ yrs ago.

But the recoil still loosens those fillings. I would rather shoot a 308 vs a slug gun.

20 gage 1100/1187

• Like 1