PA trip

TreeGuy

Well this past weekend was an absolutely epic adventure. My son, dad and myself made the trek in search of my boys first deer.

It's been my dream to have my son get his first deer with my dad by his side, and as I slowly watch my dad "get older" I wondered if he will make it another 6 years to see that day. I never had that experiance with my grandfather's although they both hunted, and I know how much my father means to my son, and how awesome it would/will be to have him there for his first deer.

After getting my bow buck and telling the story to a friend of mine of how I waited on stand for my dad and son for the recovery, and how much I value those memories, and my hopes that Duke makes it to see Kaiden get his first deer, he immediately told me to come down to the family farm in PA and see if we can't make the dream come true.

Fast forward to Friday, stopping at the local outdoor store, my sons face when he found out we were getting him his license and heading further into PA for HIM to deer was absolutely priceless.

We didn't end up getting deer down as it was tough hunting, but I can't tell you how thankful I am for the generosity and kindness shown by my friend and his family. When somebody is willing to open up their home ( a "camp" that would make you drool ) and their hunting grounds, it really speaks to a man's character and his mindset. Guys like that aren't the norm and I am humbled and blessed to have crossed paths with this man.

My son was an absolute trooper and had his head in the game. He really impressed me and I can see he's a hunter and has "it". I look forward to another opportunity to make the dream happen, but will not take for granted all the great memories we made this weekend.

He may or may not read this, and I know I told him countless times already, but I appreciate you and your dedication to keeping the farm the way your father wanted it to be.

Sorry for the scatter brain write up, and the lack of hunting details, but the trip was all about the company I kept and the kindness of others that I wanted to share.

Here's a couple pics from the trip. f56f9c8c644c7f7160535cf04aa54f30.jpg5ce740bec1bf4ca4c0d11a14dc1c03c5.jpg066bf173050a924fddefce5d5187ec50.jpgf358a71afcbf2aa51d284f301df46039.jpgdf28aa73e300f8c12e55be0c36bad01b.jpg91e534755dae330ea1a04b3135956b18.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

I don't have any children, only niece's and nephew's, and one step rat that I'm so proud of, but she wants nothing to do with the hunting or the outdoors.

My fondest memories are with my nephew's  taking their first deer and sharing it with there grandparents (my brother and his wife). Enjoy those moments and cherish the memories. I remember my first hunting experience's like they happened yesterday. 

• Like 2

AWESOME Story!!

Next summer we are starting our journey to either find some nice area on state land in PA.....or secure a lease that my oldest and my buddies son so then boys can hunt as 8 year olds. We have stressed to both boys there is alot that goes into deer hunting and practice and preparation will be key for them to be properly prepared. Sad we have to travel to PA for this to become a reality......but at least we aren't to far from the border and the ever huge Allegeny forest.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sounds like a perfect three generation weekend! Those memories will last a lifetime with your son. I pray that Duke will be right beside Kaiden, when his first deer falls.

The generosity given by some, renews the spirit, and truly soothes the soul. I have been on the receiving end of that too. And made a lifelong friend. 

Each year we will try to give back, in the same spirit. This season we have a multiple tour combat vet hunting the property. 

• Like 4

this all started as treeguy said back in early Oct.  and unbeknownst to me there was a surprise birthday party planned on the same weekend that the pa youth hunt was happening and being nice weather and pre rut timing it would of been perfect timing and i almost blew it for Andrew, but an out of the blue phone call one night from a fella named duke who explained that i couldn't invite them down "that" weekend because of the party.... lol so i rearranged my schedule and tried to make it happen.

it was fun seeing the excitement in all of your eyes while you guys were there.  the deer did not play nice, the real kicker was the buck that walked 10 yards from the blind 20 minutes after i had picked you guys up.  I am sure the wacky weather did not help matters either.

I would love to see Kaiden get his first deer,  and I want to see duke there with him.  so lets make this happen!!  It was a tough weekend for me emotionally as Saturday was 3 years since i lost my best hunting buddy ever,  there is not a day goes by that I don't think about him and I miss him terribly.  I am trying to follow his wishes by passing on the hunting opportunities.  For those that still have your dad spend every moment you can with them because you never know how long you will have them.

thanks for making the trip and you guys are welcome anytime.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

AGAIN, by our more than gracious host, we were invited down for the rifle season opener. We were greeted by a camp full of wonderful folks, who treated us like family. We could only hunt Saturday so I packed enough snacks to hold us over for a potential "dark to dark"

At first shooting light, I let Kaiden hit the grunt tube. We've practiced a bunch and the kid just loves the tube. After a series of buck grunts and doe bleats, Kaiden sat down and said " and now we wait " like Rut Daniel's always does. This kid has a sense of humor and I have no idea where he gets it.

Not 5 minutes later, 2 legal bucks were coming in hot looking for the noise maker. Unfortunately, they had us pinned and were very spooky. Kaiden was able to get on both bucks but I could see there was enough brush between them to not be sure of a clean shot. I had him hold off, which was so tough to do, but the right thing ( IMO ) when mentoring a beginner. The bucks eventually worked back I to the thick stuff and never presented a shot.

We ended up sitting dark to dark, which is a feat for a 7yr old, and seeing a pile of deer. Only a doe gave us a perfect opportunity, but we didn't have a doe tag and Kaiden is dead set on a buck. One other buck cruised through behind us but again was a bit thick and far to take a shot. Kaiden had my late grandfather's 6mm Rem, which was awesome to now have 4 generations represented in the deer woods.

We shared a pile of stories and laughs at "the camp", we were fed like kings, and just had a great time. So thankful for the opportunity, and we are really enjoying all the memories we are making in PA.

A wise man recently told me, "don't get all worked up if he doesn't get one, just enjoy the process, it WILL happen"

I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of my kid. Dark to dark, no giving up in his attitude, no dissappintment with not getting a shot. He's got what it takes, that's for sure. I can't wait for his opportunity to come and I can't wait to share the harvest as I see it in my dreams.

THANK YOU AGAIN " Mr Lee" 1a6d931565ebca8deb26ffa1bee6f212.jpg8c7405752502f2965441ffadb7cb0b1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Not getting a good shot at one of those bucks is just gonna make it even more rewarding when it does happen and give your son a better appreciation of what it takes to get one. He's gonna be hooked for life just like the other generations there!  Can't wait to see him get one and all your smiling faces. 

• Like 1