So now there is a Crossbow section, who owns / is getting one?

burmjohn

So now there is a Crossbow section, who owns / is getting one?

Personally I'm not, I have a bow already,and have $$$ invested already. Plus I just love shooting the thing. I noticed there are not to many archery places that allow crossbow use either.

we always hunted with them, mainly for small game and just plinking around, we brought back a bunch from Nam, these are very simple 'yard bows.

i'd get a recurve modern one in a minute if they let me hunt everything with it like I can with my muzzleloader, far as I can see harvest is harcvest, you have an open season who cares the manner of take?

Utah where I retired to has the right idea on that for fishing, use a pole, a bow, a speargun, if its open season and you can take fish X go ahead and take it, however you want that isnt destructive.

I can shoot squirrel with my pistol, rifle, shotgun, bow, or muzzle but not a crossbow...that's ghey.

i cant see buying an expensive crossbow to use only on deer in firearms season (counting muzzle since the modern ones are nothing but single shot 30-30s) but I'd get one if they got hteir heads out of the butts and made blanket "any legal weapon" for manner of taking game .

those excalibur I think it is recurves look neat, I dont like compounds so wouldnt get a crossbow in one

I bought one a few months ago. I sold my compund bow cuz I have a non corrective eye problem that messes up the light with the apature with the bow when in low light conditions. I hope NYS allows use in all seasons with xbow. I am sure they will eventually. NJ did and I think CT did also. I understand the reasoning people have putting the xbow catagorized as a gun since it is always in the cocked position and ready to shoot verses the vertical isnt. I agree with above who cares what you take the animal with....

I bought mine from Gander Mountain its the Wicked Ridge Warrior. 175LB pull and about 300 FPS this thing is great very very accurate. The company Ten Point owns a sister company called Wicked Ridge. Both wicked Ridge and ten point xbows are made and come out in the same factory

i hunted with one this past muzzle/late archery season just to get things set up here in NY so when they do become legal i wont be out there fumbling around. there are lots of differances between hunting from a stand with a vertical bow and a crossbow.

just getting a crossbow into the stand with you and hanging it on a bow hook and the stealthy thing you gotta do when a deer comes by and you have to grab the crossbow for a possible shot.

im one of those be ready guy's and dont want to find out im up in my stand for a morning hunt and something is not working out just right.

i have hunted crossbow on my sisters farm in PA since they opened it up for full inclusion and do have some experiance.

I bought an Excalibur a fews years back and hope that I will not be using it anytime soon. I prefer my Bowtech compound and as long as my aging body is able to draw it I would prefer to hunt with the compound over the crossbow.

That said, it would be great to have a backup plan and be able to go the crossbow when the day arrives that I suffer an injury, or I am just too old and unable to shoot the compound.

Until then Bowtech Invasion all the way!

Edited by skyhunter

I bought mine from Gander Mountain its the Wicked Ridge Warrior. 175LB pull and about 300 FPS this thing is great very very accurate. The company Ten Point owns a sister company called Wicked Ridge. Both wicked Ridge and ten point xbows are made and come out in the same factory

Thanks, that could save a few bucks.

I have been shopping around. I am simply looking for an alternative to rifle or muzzleloader. Just a new toy to play with. As far as archery goes, I use a recurve and enjoy it. I do not own a compound and plan to keep it that way. Would I use a cross bow in archery season, I doubt it. But do I think they should be in archery season most definitely. I would be more apt to do so during regular season when I get bored with the ml.

I started bow hunting in 1977 and stopped using my compound bow in 2007 because I needed corrective lenses for close and distance objects. No matter what I tried either the pins were blurry or the target was blurry. I tried everything, even going to an opthomalogist for advice on corrective surgery which he acknowleged wouldn't help my situation. I could still shoot a scoped gun with no issues so I tried a red-dot on my bow and I still couldn't get it down so I gave up archery hunting. In 2008 I bought an excalibur phoenix(175lb) crossbow, put on a red-dot and enjoyed shooting again. I then purchased an excalibur vortex(200lb) crossbow and enjoyed it too. I just enjoy flinging arrows out to a target and the crossbow allows me to do it with accuracy. I anticipate NYS allowing crossbows in regular archery season so hopefully I can go out and enjoy archery hunting again. I realize this was about who is getting a crossbow but I figure I would give you my reason/history for getting one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...