Food on the hunt ?

luberhill

Not an issue anymore, but the many years I hunted PA  all day sits (or more often STANDS) were   the norm..
I'd take a couple of Payday bars, a couple of Almond Joys, a couple of  Reese's cups, a sandwich ( my favorite was cold sliced deer heart, but often it was canned sliced  corned beef or fried spam sandwiches instead.. Sometimes I'd throw in some jerky or Slim Jims..   usually, my lunch was all gone by 10:00 AM.....
Same problem my Dad has....he eats before he leaves and if he plans on being there 5-6 hrs. his sandwich usually gone by 9.....it cracks us up everytime.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm probably the biggest food slob here. But my sits are usually 3 to 4 hrs and I keep movement to almost zero especially on these dead no breeze days. You never know whats coming up behind you in a stand. I was busted the other morning pulling my coffee from it's holder by a deer I never knew was there. Its hard enough keeping deer from picking up my scent let alone soppressata n swiss on a hero. I eat when I'm out

• Like 1

Handful of peanut chews and a sweet and salty peanut granola bar are usually rolling around in my pack- most sits are “quick” during bow.
If all day sits are part of the day, I’ll whip up a potato and eggs sandwich with some hot cherry peppers or a piece of breakfast egg casserole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking for myself I found out years ago be it playing sports, plain old work like cutting wood or putting in a load of hay or dragging out a Deer my body operates best physically when running on empty. I will do perfectly fine on the stores in my body from what I ate the day before. Yes I get hungry but not weak, I fuel up after the work or physical activity is done for the day. I do like to carry a little flask full of an energy drink when hunting behind my dogs to wet my whistle if I get real thirsty as you can put some miles on hunting small game following hunting dogs.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Absolutely  no  food in my blinds.. back when I was on the lease one of the guys use to eat in his blinds and he could never understand why the bears would shred his blinds.  A bottle of water and a couple granola bars in the pack when in the tree stand.

I hunt turkeys out of popups and I seldom take any food with me, just a bottle of water...Damn bears still shred my blinds...

Lost another one last spring...<< sigh>>.....

If I'm only going for a couple hrs it's usually sunflower seeds or apple and water. All day sit is a sandwich, trail mix,apple, something with peanut butter and 2 or 3 bottles of water. 
That's literally exactly what I brought for this morning's hunt. Sunflower seeds, apple, water

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crappyice said:

Handful of peanut chews and a sweet and salty peanut granola bar are usually rolling around in my pack- most sits are “quick” during bow.
If all day sits are part of the day, I’ll whip up a potato and eggs sandwich with some hot cherry peppers or a piece of breakfast egg casserole.

Potato and Egg Sammy? Please elaborate

55 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

You guys ever pack hot broth to sip?   I remember doing that as teen with my uncle.   Was thinking about bringing it again this year.  Im not a coffee guy in the woods.   

I might try the broth deal this weekend. I usually pack in a thermos of coffee for something warm but I can't have much more than my normal large cup because it makes my stomach crazy. 

• Like 1

It all depends on how long I plan to stay in the woods. On a cold blustery day when I'm not seeing much, a cup of hot coffee keeps me in just a little longer.

If I'm just doing a quick morning sit, I'll usually just bring a water and a granola bar or apple in my fanny pack. 

For a longer sit, I'll almost always have a thermos of coffee, water, cliff bars as a baseline. When I plan to sit all day, I'll add a pb and banana sandwich and or some jerky. I've been known to bring smoked turkey legs, italian sausage, subs...

One of the biggest deer I've shot so far came in down wind just a few minutes after I devoured that turkey leg. 

• Like 1

At a bare minimum for a few hour sit I always have a bottle of water and a granola bar with me. It's been like that since my early 20's when my uncle and I where on a late morning tracking job that lasted way to long and neither of us had water on us. By the time we called it we where both regretting not bringing out water for the "quick" sit. Sometimes I wont even open the water but I like to have it just in case.

For an all day sit it just varies by how I feel and what I have available to make and bring. Generally that means PB&J sammy or 2, granola bars and candy to go with my water bottle. I've had breakfast sandwiches, subs, trail mix, popcorn and coffee in the stand as well but not to often because that takes preplanning that I just don't do.  

Potato and Egg Sammy? Please elaborate

Brown some chopped onions in butter and EVOO add some frozen fries or cooked potatoes..let’s that Cook a bit. Crack a bunch of eggs and scramble. Pour in hot pan over and onion. Stir around- cover…flip the whole thing(that’s the tricky part) and finish cooking.
Cherry peppers, Frank’s on good crusty bread…

• Like 1

Not sure how some of you guys have not anything, even a bottle of water. My 2 hour sit may turn to 9 or I may set off on a track or be tracking a hit deer. Or kill one and drag it a mile without a sip of water.....nope. Or you get hurt and don't even have clean water to rinse a wound.....I am always prepared lol. The rest of you city slickers......

• Like 3