Ny law on width of crossbow

luberhill

Here is the link to the current crossbow regulations in New York State. I was at the State Fair DEC booth a few years ago and I asked what the purpose of the minimum 17 inch width was. I was told it was to prevent poachers from shooting deer from windows inside of their vehicles.       valoroutdoors.com   https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

Edited by CharlieNY

8 hours ago, luberhill said:

My CP sniper is front heavy and bulky

I see those light weight ones that are very narrow but they are not legal in NY right

Like the one below

350FBADF-86CD-4697-8252-7B1636DAF22D.png

I noticed the same issue with my CP 370.   I much prefer my old Barnett recruit from my hang on stands or for offhand shooting.  It is very light and well balanced and handles as easily as my Ruger 10/22 carbine.  It’s unlocked width measures 17-1/8” with a new string 17-1/4” after a few years of stretch.

The CP 370 is nice from my stands that have a shooting rail all around and has a longer effective range (50 yards vs 40 for the 300 FPS recruit).

317AFA7C-0A50-49FA-AECC-EEBD866EB683.jpeg

1E0064ED-D68A-41D3-9647-85053CEAAFF1.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

I believe all equipped, quiver, scope arrows it around 10 lbs.  Definitely heavier than my PSE fang, but easier to cary around and definitely better in a ground blind. 

Both are front heavy, but the CP is a little worse. 

Accuracy, the CP is touching arrows at 45y. Fang prob a 4" group. 

I like the CP better. The cocking sled is great for sighting in, but I'm using the rope in the field. I can uncock it with the sled and and I sometimes do. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

So they cant shoot them out of their vehicle , the crossbow guys tend to be a slippery group if you catch my drift...

And that right there is the stupidity of NY and our law makers.  Let's make another law that effects all legal users negatively so that someone that is already breaking the law by shooting out of a vehicle  can't do it... Does anyone on here really think that if someone is going to shoot a deer (likely at night) out of a truck window with a crossbow they are worried about another law they are breaking for having too narrow of crossbow?  The law has no purpose, if a person is of the moral character as stated above the width of their crossbow is the least of their worries. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

And that right there is the stupidity of NY and our law makers.  Let's make another law that effects all legal users negatively so that someone that is already breaking the law by shooting out of a vehicle  can't do it... Does anyone on here really think that if someone is going to shoot a deer (likely at night) out of a truck window with a crossbow they are worried about another law they are breaking for having too narrow of crossbow?  The law has no purpose, if a person is of the moral character as stated above the width of their crossbow is the least of their worries. 

Im pretty sure also if some one was going to shoot a deer out of a car then this law isn't going to stop them from getting an under width bow and doing so. Law was made by anti crossbow group to just make it harder to hunt with a wide, heavy, pc of of junk that under performs. My xcaliber is wide enough just has a 280 lbs draw which makes it to heavy a draw. Not going to buy a pc of junk to hunt with so they win.Just stopped bow hunting  all together. Alot of people i know have.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lucky118 said:

Im pretty sure also if some one was going to shoot a deer out of a car then this law isn't going to stop them from getting an under width bow and doing so. Law was made by anti crossbow group to just make it harder to hunt with a wide, heavy, pc of of junk that under performs. My xcaliber is wide enough just has a 280 lbs draw which makes it to heavy a draw. Not going to buy a pc of junk to hunt with so they win.Just stopped bow hunting  all together. Alot of people i know have.

I’m aware of a camp that hunts all season with a xbow and at least one of the fellas there is shooting too narrow 10point weapon.   I don’t know about the rest of the members though so won’t paint with a broad brush.  :)

7 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’m aware of a camp that hunts all season with a xbow and at least one of the fellas there is shooting too narrow 10point weapon.   I don’t know about the rest of the members though so won’t paint with a broad brush.  :)

There are tons of people using crossbows that are too narrow. I bought the Scorpyd because it was the best performing crossbow at a legal width.  I'll probably sell it if the law changes and get something narrow. They are much nicer all around....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Camp of 8 and only 1 carries a legit Xbow. People are really to the point of telling the white shirts that make the stupid state and Govt laws to FO. I’m afraid that’s going to be more of the norm as this world turns.  

36 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Camp of 8 and only 1 carries a legit Xbow. People are really to the point of telling the white shirts that make the stupid state and Govt laws to FO. I’m afraid that’s going to be more of the norm as this world turns.  

I really wanted to do this when i was looking for a crossbow. With my luck, i would be the guy that got caught and the made an example out of....

37 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I really wanted to do this when i was looking for a crossbow. With my luck, i would be the guy that got caught and the made an example out of....

Lol.  With the slap on the hand Ny gives someone for shooting a deer with a light..out of a truck.. not in season an Xbow ticket would be laughable. 

• Like 1

Regardless of the severity of the consequences I firmly believe that we should all abide by the laws in effect. We need to set a good example for our young hunters and be role models. I did this with my children and they in turn have done this with my grandchildren. I will not hunt with anyone who is in violation of any laws and if they violate any laws while we are hunting together I will leave and never hunt with them again.  I was a hunting safety instructor for many years and I always made this part of the instruction. To me there is no such thing as a successful hunt when you cheated by violating the laws.    valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CharlieNY said:

Regardless of the severity of the consequences I firmly believe that we should all abide by the laws in effect. We need to set a good example for our young hunters and be role models. I did this with my children and they in turn have done this with my grandchildren. I will not hunt with anyone who is in violation of any laws and if they violate any laws while we are hunting together I will leave and never hunt with them again.  I was a hunting safety instructor for many years and I always made this part of the instruction. To me there is no such thing as a successful hunt when you cheated by violating the laws.    valoroutdoors.com 

I agree, which is why I agonized over mine possibly not making the requirement, and was very happy to discover my CP measured a pinch over the 17 inch minimum. I was ready to take it back if it did not. 

My concern about what might happen to me if I caught on my own land was not nearly the issue as my worry about casting a negative light on an already under fire means of hunting. The last thing I want is to add fuel to the anti crossbow argument by giving legitimate ammunition to those against it by being ticked for breaking the law, despite my viewing it as STUPID. 

• Like 3