400's vs 700's Quads

Five Seasons

I posted a while back about picking up a quad to do some food plot, light farming and deer dragging. I realize that a 400 is fully capable of deer hauling. In doing some light research it's very apparent the majority say get a tractor or don't bother, while a small group of youtubers and forums note that you can get it done with a quad if you have to.

The price of tractors is f'n bananas and that's all I have to say there... however I know they can be rented. I still think I'd use a quad to tow a brush mower though and I could see myself towing a small cart/trailer as I'm working on trimming the orchard tress around where I hunt.

Given the above and any other reasons why I should shoot for the bigger quads?

20 minutes ago, Belo said:

I posted a while back about picking up a quad to do some food plot, light farming and deer dragging. I realize that a 400 is fully capable of deer hauling. In doing some light research it's very apparent the majority say get a tractor or don't bother, while a small group of youtubers and forums note that you can get it done with a quad if you have to.

The price of tractors is f'n bananas and that's all I have to say there... however I know they can be rented. I still think I'd use a quad to tow a brush mower though and I could see myself towing a small cart/trailer as I'm working on trimming the orchard tress around where I hunt.

Given the above and any other reasons why I should shoot for the bigger quads?

My can am is plenty capable to do plots.  Its a 1000.  I would not hesitate to spend the extra on a 700 and plan to use it for everything vs. renting a tractor.  Add one of Culver's tow behind plows after using glysophate to clear weeds and you can do a really solid plot.

• Thanks 1

What ever brand your looking at do a price check between the two and I think you’ll be surprised that a 700 is only 1000$ more than a 450 . The big V twins like moogs will be more $ yes , but a single cylinder 700 yamaha or 750 Suzuki has more than enough power to do what you want especially in low . 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

From personal experience owning both ATV's and UTV's I would recommend a UTV for what you're looking to do.

my only concern there is the width. I have some pretty remote/deep stands and I'm not eager to make super wide trails. Right now they're just wide enough for a deer cart, so I already have some work ahead to get them quad width.

I guess I'll admit I haven't compared the 2, but imagine a UTV is quite a bit wider. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

my only concern there is the width. I have some pretty remote/deep stands and I'm not eager to make super wide trails. Right now they're just wide enough for a deer cart, so I already have some work ahead to get them quad width.

I guess I'll admit I haven't compared the 2, but imagine a UTV is quite a bit wider. 

You could look at the mid-size UTV's they are closer to the ATV, but you get the benefits of the UTV.  Might be a perfect unit for your needs.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Belo said:

exactly why I went with an ATV - easier to maneuver in tight spots

• Like 1

@LawdwazTook me 6-7 months to get my CanAM X3 recently from the order date, for reference.  Also, if you order, and they tell you March, it will most likely be pushed out further.  I don’t know about the ATVs though, because the UTV’s with certain chips are why they are held up.  For whatever any of that is worth to you.  

Edited by Bionic

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

How’s the availability on machines today?  In January they were scarce as hens teeth….

So I'm getting my 3 boys ATVs for christmas. I know this sounds crazy, but I'd gladly spend that kind of money if it keeps them in the outdoors and away from a screen. Anyhow, called around to several dealers in the Rochester area and found one that has what I want coming in (a 90 and two 50's). But even then with a deposit he only has the 90 and the other 2 are "supposed" to arrive soon but he can't guarantee it.

I said, hey for buying 3 can I get a deal? Or maybe something off a big boy quad? He sorta laughed, not to be mean but he's like buddy, if I sold anything under MSRP I'd be crazy because we can't keep anything or get anything. They're just getting street bikes in now and he's like who the hell wants one of those in winter? He said pre covid they easily had 100 quads in stock and I could have loaded 3 up that day.

They were getting some stock of 400's and 700 grizzlys and kodiaks slowly but most of them with EPS which I wasn't looking to pay for.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

If the market is anything like pick ups, I will happily sell my 4yr old Can Am Outlander Max for MSRP!

so it's funny you mentioned this. Looking at the used market, most guys are asking retail for 5 and 10 year old machines. Sure you're not paying tax and freight but good lord. Normally I'd never think about a new quad but it actually sorta makes sense right now.

Edited by Belo

2 minutes ago, bfahy13 said:

The problem with atv in a food plot/farming situation isnt power. It comes down to weight and traction.

What about maybe a utv? Would put better power to the ground, slightly more comfortable, and a working bed. 

It all depends on the type of plot - if I were doing 10s of acres with crops that require deep seeding like corn, tractor for sure.   But if you are doing small hunting plots with clover or brassicas or wheat, the atv is plenty.  I have never had an issue with weight or traction, but I am a fata$$ with a heavy ATV.

6 minutes ago, bfahy13 said:

The problem with atv in a food plot/farming situation isnt power. It comes down to weight and traction.

What about maybe a utv? Would put better power to the ground, slightly more comfortable, and a working bed. 

yes this i understand from my research. That's why I'm wondering if and why a 700 would make sense or not, if it's a weight not power issue.

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

It all depends on the type of plot - if I were doing 10s of acres with crops that require deep seeding like corn, tractor for sure.   But if you are doing small hunting plots with clover or brassicas or wheat, the atv is plenty.  I have never had an issue with weight or traction, but I am a fata$$ with a heavy ATV.

I'm looking at 3 less than 1 acre plots on flat land fields that at one time were actually farmed and crops planted on. 

1 minute ago, Belo said:

yes this i understand from my research. That's why I'm wondering if and why a 700 would make sense or not, if it's a weight not power issue.

The issue is traction. A 700cc quad isn't going to weigh much more than a 400-570 machine. You can have all the power at your finger tip, but if you don't have the weight to pull whatever you're dragging behind you, it's useless. 

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm looking at 3 less than 1 acre plots on flat land fields that at one time were actually farmed and crops planted on. 

Buddy of mine did 4, 1/2 acre food plots this yr with a 350 Honda that's probably 25 yrs old

He bought a tow behind tiller to bust up the soil. He used my sprayer and spreader to prep and seed. 

• Thanks 1