400's vs 700's Quads

Five Seasons

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

i thought this looked promising

He mentioned his one plot was rocky. I didn't notice one decent size rock in any of his plots. 

In my area, we've got rocks. Lots of softball to volleyball sized rocks. That really beat up equipment. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

looking at weights

Polaris (lbs)

450- 700

850 -772

1000-886

Not a huge difference between them but a decent weight jump from 450 to 1000. Basically another me sitting on the quad lol. Also $7800 price difference lol.

My 570 sportsman has dragged some impressive loads. Once I loose traction, it's all over. Another 75lbs might have gotten me another couple feet.  

So the 1000cc is $7800 more than the 450?

I've had machines since I was a kid. Nothing has impressed me more or been a more significant upgrade than a UTV. The whole " too wide " deal.... if your making quad trails, it can't be that much more work to add a few more inches. You will want wider trails anyways with yours boys riding around. Just having a dump bed is worth it's weight in gold on most days your out improving the land. The amount of gear you can throw back there, and carry a couple humans too. Don't confuse them with a jeep or off road vehicle. The size difference isn't that significant.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TreeGuy said:

I've had machines since I was a kid. Nothing has impressed me more or been a more significant upgrade than a UTV. The whole " too wide " deal.... if your making quad trails, it can't be that much more work to add a few more inches. You will want wider trails anyways with yours boys riding around. Just having a dump bed is worth it's weight in gold on most days your out improving the land. The amount of gear you can throw back there, and carry a couple humans too. Don't confuse them with a jeep or off road vehicle. The size difference isn't that significant.

I agree, there the way to go, but for some of us a $8000 quad is doable.. a $15,000 utv isn't. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

The size difference sucks when sitting in them  lol

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mowin said:

My 570 sportsman has dragged some impressive loads. Once I loose traction, it's all over. Another 75lbs might have gotten me another couple feet.  

lol yeah. Although now looking at weights, it looks like the can-am's are pretty heavy. Their 850 comes in just as heavy as the 1000 at ~1000 pounds while the other japanesse 700's are closer to 700-800 pounds. But damn those can-ams are expensive. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

that's a good point. The difference, for what it's worth is 1.5' in width. 

40 minutes ago, Belo said:

So I'm getting my 3 boys ATVs for christmas. I know this sounds crazy, but I'd gladly spend that kind of money if it keeps them in the outdoors and away from a screen. Anyhow, called around to several dealers in the Rochester area and found one that has what I want coming in (a 90 and two 50's). But even then with a deposit he only has the 90 and the other 2 are "supposed" to arrive soon but he can't guarantee it.

I said, hey for buying 3 can I get a deal? Or maybe something off a big boy quad? He sorta laughed, not to be mean but he's like buddy, if I sold anything under MSRP I'd be crazy because we can't keep anything or get anything. They're just getting street bikes in now and he's like who the hell wants one of those in winter? He said pre covid they easily had 100 quads in stock and I could have loaded 3 up that day.

They were getting some stock of 400's and 700 grizzlys and kodiaks slowly but most of them with EPS which I wasn't looking to pay for.

so it's funny you mentioned this. Looking at the used market, most guys are asking retail for 5 and 10 year old machines. Sure you're not paying tax and freight but good lord. Normally I'd never think about a new quad but it actually sorta makes sense right now.

I highly,  highly recommend  getting EPS . Especially going slow , our 700 kodiaks have it and jumping on our 450 kodiak with out its amazing the difference. I’m a yamaha guy and there’s lots of CVT mods to gain more low end on a grizzly or kodiak. 

15 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I highly,  highly recommend  getting EPS . Especially going slow , our 700 kodiaks have it and jumping on our 450 kodiak with out its amazing the difference. I’m a yamaha guy and there’s lots of CVT mods to gain more low end on a grizzly or kodiak. 

my dad has a honda without out it... idk I realize it's better but i have no problem with turning and for $2k less... thanks for the feedback though. Dealer said the same thing haha.

I got the bare bones, non power steering Grizzly 550, no regrets.  She's about 600 lbs.  Don't think you're going to break virgin sod with a quad though.  The plotmaster I picked up this year does ok at pre tilled ground, but we use the tractor for all new plots.  Hoping it's enough this next year logging trails and some hard to reach spots in the middle of the woods.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Belo said:

lol yeah. Although now looking at weights, it looks like the can-am's are pretty heavy. Their 850 comes in just as heavy as the 1000 at ~1000 pounds while the other japanesse 700's are closer to 700-800 pounds. But damn those can-ams are expensive. 

$7800 is a boat load of money.  I'd go for the 570 sportsman. And use the rest for implements 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mowin said:

My 2015 sportsman 570 was new out the door at Griffin motorsports  for 5500. Its done everything I've ever asked of it . I wouldn't go bigger if I  was in the market for a new one. 

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Was always a Yamaha/Honda guy, but last year I needed a new machine and the deal was better to buy my Polaris 450. I love it! It does everything I would ask, including plowing my very long driveway all last winter.

I never had EPS until this machine and was on the fence about going the extra money. I can say without any hesitation now I am glad I have it. EPS comes in very handy when plowing, or when crawling over rocks and logs you might encounter on the trail. It also makes it where my wife can drive it without any difficulty.

She even likes and asks to take turns plowing the driveway!   

• Like 1

I have the honda pioneer 500 utv. Weighs just under 1000 lbs, same width as a 4 wheeler, and does food plots, plows snow, and goes where I want. Added feature is driveshaft instead of belts. Price should be around 10k.

I use the black boar plot attatchments, on virgin ground and works for me. I have the removable box on the back, and storage container under the hood.

• Thanks 1

I agree, there the way to go, but for some of us a $8000 quad is doable.. a $15,000 utv isn't. 
I bought used because I didn't have new machine money.

If we are sticking on topic, I'm with others that have said bigger engine because if you need it it's there, if you ain't got it, ya ain't got it

34 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I bought used because I didn't have new machine money.

If we are sticking on topic, I'm with others that have said bigger engine because if you need it it's there, if you ain't got it, ya ain't got it

And I'm on the bigger engine doesn't do you much good unless you're going fast.  

Weight is the the ultimate issue. The added HP won't do anyone any good if you don't have the weight to pull the implement. 

Spinning out with a 700lb 570 is the same as spinning out with a 750 that weights a 100lbs more. 

Edited by mowin

Weight is the the ultimate issue. The added HP won't do anyone any good if you don't have the weight to pull the implement. 
Spinning out with a 700lb 570 is the same as spinning out with a 750 that weights a 100lbs more. 
Your 100lbs less likely to spin out in the 700.....

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Not picking an argument but honestly Mowin in 4x4 spinning out us not really much of an issue and my property is a lot of wetlands.  On rare occasion, I have gotten stuck but I still prefer having the power to not having it.  And yes it’s lots of fun when doing 60 plus in the fields.  Could I live without that power, not sure as I have always had it.  But I sure don’t regret it. 

19 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Not picking an argument but honestly Mowin in 4x4 spinning out us not really much of an issue and my property is a lot of wetlands.  On rare occasion, I have gotten stuck but I still prefer having the power to not having it.  And yes it’s lots of fun when doing 60 plus in the fields.  Could I live without that power, not sure as I have always had it.  But I sure don’t regret it. 

Exact reason I went with the 700.lotta wetland /swamp riding with lots of weight .

Not everybody has your HP / weight ratio, ya know

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, moog5050 said:

The last time I did 60mph on a quad was a long time ago. Well past those days. Just riding around I've never gotten stuck. Towing a (over) loaded trailer uphill I've lost traction and there was nothing I could do about that. More HP wouldn't be helped in that situation. It's the same pulling a implement. You loose traction, the added HP isn't going to help. It's all about power to weight ratio. 

• Like 1

When pulling, you will run out of traction long before you run out of power.  Old tractors are a good example of weight, torque and (low) horsepower.  ATVs are not made to pull.  Any honest dealer will let you know that.  I'm not saying you can't use them for a little bit of everything, but they're made for trail riding.  I'm not against the bigger motor, but it won't make any real difference beyond the weight.  

• Like 1

So the yamaha kodiak 700 is actually made / geared more toward work , I won’t go into the specifics of the clutching they use for this , but single  cylinder atv engines are known to produce really good low end torque. So yamaha geared the cvt to take advantage of this especially in low.
 Now something to consider with the loss of traction is tires , factory atv tires are ok but there are really good options to be had for a much superior ride and traction in all conditions. And to give feed back in the drive shaft vs belt , yamaha has a 10 year belt warranty so that should tell one something . 
When I had my 01 450 kodiak I pulled a 2wd  Chevy Tahoe out of a ditch that they backed into ( drive shaft was touching the ground ) I hooked onto it in 4wd low and proceeded to pull him right out no spinning etc , that little quad impressed me that day. 
Now having said all that for what Belo wants to do I think he’ll be fine . Yes a atv cannot compare to a tractor , but you have more options to utilize a atv more it’s not a specifics machine to do the job .

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1