What time will you be in your spot on saturday

luberhill

i dont walk in til i can see a little.  Ive never been big on going in the dark.  Only because i always bump deer i would have seen even with just a little light and be able to take a shot or work around them to get into the stand. Got tired of deer blowing up the woods when i can sneak in if i can see the deer are in a trail ahead of me.

9 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Plan is to be in by 530 and sit until dark both days. If I get lucky, I'll get up to take care of that, but then get back in the stand to see if I can score again.

Same, start walking at 500, in by 530.  I've bumped them before on opening day early and they have time to settle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Same, start walking at 500, in by 530.  I've bumped them before on opening day early and they have time to settle.

I'm hoping I'm in early enough that things settle before the neighbors start moving into their stands and that they spook the deer in my direction.

• Like 1

We just did a short gameplan....we are walking in on the logging road around 6:25. My Dad is 74 so going in when it's dark, dark isn't his thing. These deer will be literally bedded right off our entrance road and most likley wave at us as we pass by. They are so used to farm equipment and people we won't bother them one bit. The only thing I need to be careful of is spooking them out of our back field.....it cut soy beans right now so if they are there and see us getting to the one blinds they will beat feet.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I’d be happy with being in at 6:15. Legal will be 6:40 tomorrow but still way to dark at 6:40 to see through I scope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a cheap 3x scope on my NYS compliant POS Xbow and you can see fine at 0640.

3 hours ago, luberhill said:

3 mile walk !!! Holy crap..

Yeah then i have to pack them back. No way im dragging it. Makes for a long,  long day.  But good news is after 20 yrs of hunting this spot  last yr was the first time i ever pulled the trigger on one.  So probably wont get anything but i enjoy it. 

7 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i dont walk in til i can see a little.  Ive never been big on going in the dark.  Only because i always bump deer i would have seen even with just a little light and be able to take a shot or work around them to get into the stand. Got tired of deer blowing up the woods when i can sneak in if i can see the deer are in a trail ahead of me.

That’s my plan also.  I will probably start into the woods about 40 minutes before sunrise .  It should be light enough to see then, with the nearly full moon and most of the leaves down.  If all goes well, it should take me about 10 minutes to get to my stand. 

I hope it is in decent shape still. It has been a full year since I was in it.   A chain holds it to the tree, so I don’t have to worry about straps getting cut or chewed thru.  I have no plans of shooting at a deer until I am up in it.  

Two of the last three years, I was done within a half hour of sunrise. Last year took almost 3 hours, until I was back on the ground gutting one.  

I will sit till 1:00, if no antlerless deer or buck with more than three points on a side shows up in range before that.  I can’t be much later than that, for lunch with Pa and Ma.

Start walking in around 5:50-6, drop my buddy off at a stand by 6:10, get in my stand 5 min later and shoot a giant at 6:42am.   Thats the plan.

I’ve had that same plan for some 24 years. Get in shoot a giant and get out. Still waiting for it to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk