What will you be carrying for Opening Day?

WNYBuckHunter

Just now, Swamp_bucks said:

Thanks. Came with a different stock that I used for years and always wanted a thumb hole stock. Went on boyds stocks and picked up stock and forearm for 120 3 yrs ago.

Nice - I have the same plan for my rifle. Still rocking the synthetic black stock it came with for now! Did you bed the stock yourself?

Christensen arms mesa in. 308
Its gotta kill something before i take it elk hunting next year.
20211026_155735.thumb.jpg.2a27a7e73b60530c7fc444a78a47d154.jpg
How does it shoot? I've been on the fence about getting a CA rifle for years now. The reviews are a bit scattered though. I don't want to drop $2k on a rifle to shoot 2" groups!

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, chrisw said:

How does it shoot? I've been on the fence about getting a CA rifle for years now. The reviews are a bit scattered though. I don't want to drop $2k on a rifle to shoot 2" groups!

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

So far so good, 20rds down and easy 3/4" @100. Went 3/3 at 300 yards on my 5" gong. This is shooting off a back pack no rear support. Ive read bad reviews on 300 win mag, supposedly it was a bad reamer. I believe cabelas has the mesa on sale now for 1099.

• Like 1

Marlin M512 Slugmaster, Redfield Revolution 2-7 Scope, Hornady 2-3/4" SST's.   I only have (14) of those left and (4) tags available for gun season, so I should be fine for this year, and hopefully a few more.   I always carry a few extra, assorted-brand 12 ga sabot slugs, in case a point-blank finishing shot is required.  Hopefully, those (14) SST's will last me until ammo becomes a bit easier to locate for reasonable cost.    When and if I start running low, I will switch over to my Ithaca 37 16 gauge, for which I have an abundant supply of foster slugs, but my effective range drops from over 150 yards to about 75 yards.  

• 9 months later...

Very easy to find ammo now, Target sports usa has most all calibers, you may not get the type you want but its there. Ill be using my Howa 1500 308 with 168 grain Berger hunter hybrids. They shot excellent last week out to 300 yards. 

Son either his 6.5CM or .243 with Hornaday soft points. 

For the September 10 early antlerless season gun opener, I will go with my T/C Omega 50 cal ML with old Redfield wide field 2-7X scope, and 240 XTP bullet, driven by (2) 50 gr T7 pellets.

That combo has already yielded one DRT antlerless deer on New Year’s Day of this year. I’ll be trying my best to fill (7) tags this year, which could make a record of (8) for me in one calendar year.  Both areas I hunt are grossly overpopulated with deer (wmu 9F and 6C) and there are lots of folks out there who would love some venison. 
486790A6-A432-4E91-B57E-2A9A35977740.thumb.jpeg.589010a30465b0a40705066b53982659.jpeg

I got her all dialed in on the range last Saturday, cleaned good, and she’s right on where I want her.  I only have room for one deer at a time in my deer fridge, so there is no point in using repeating weapons in September, when it will be warm.  That makes deciding what gun to carry on opening day a very simple decision.  

• Like 1