Hate to See It End

Steve D

Just got back from my last sit for archery. Windier than hell all day. Hate to see it end and can't believe my favorite time of year has passed. I made the best of it but didn't hunt as much as I would have liked.

Terrible conditions this past month with the first part being really warm, the middle part being mostly wet, and a lot of windy days. Right now, we have water laying everywhere and no matter where you walk it is like walking on a sponge.  A lack of acorns and beech has made it difficult to plan where they might be. Once the soybeans were picked sightings all but ceased. They are just picking the nearby cornfield today so if nothing else there will be more visibility.

I did manage to get a total of a even 40 sits counting this afternoon and saw a total of 73 deer with 24 of those being bucks for sure. Only saw one decent buck during the day and cameras show them moving mostly at night when they do move.

Unfortunately, I never had a good shot opportunity or one within a comfortable range that was bigger than a yearling.

Now it is on to the "see no deer season" but if I do see one, I will be able to reach out a little farther and hopefully will be able to fill at least one tag.

Here is one that will be on my hit list for sure but I suspect she is only moving at night. As fat as she is I doubt she hardly moves at all.

Congratulations to all the successful hunters and their harvests, good luck everyone, stay safe, and hope everyone has an opportunity to fill his or her tags.

IMG_0495.JPG

• Like 2

I'm in agreement. Love the archery season. The last couple being special watching my grandnephews learn how special this season is and how special any archery deer actually is. 

Both are looking forward to being able to reach out and drop a deer with the rifle, but they also realize it's not the same as archery.  

Both are thinking about using the bow during the late season if the freezers are full.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Just got back from my last sit for archery. Windier than hell all day. Hate to see it end and can't believe my favorite time of year has passed. I made the best of it but didn't hunt as much as I would have liked.

Terrible conditions this past month with the first part being really warm, the middle part being mostly wet, and a lot of windy days. Right now, we have water laying everywhere and no matter where you walk it is like walking on a sponge.  A lack of acorns and beech has made it difficult to plan where they might be. Once the soybeans were picked sightings all but ceased. They are just picking the nearby cornfield today so if nothing else there will be more visibility.

I did manage to get a total of a even 40 sits counting this afternoon and saw a total of 73 deer with 24 of those being bucks for sure. Only saw one decent buck during the day and cameras show them moving mostly at night when they do move.

Unfortunately, I never had a good shot opportunity or one within a comfortable range that was bigger than a yearling.

Now it is on to the "see no deer season" but if I do see one, I will be able to reach out a little farther and hopefully will be able to fill at least one tag.

Wow Steve, I had a very similar experience in 8H, but far less deer. I logged hunt #43 this morning, but was sad climbing out of the stand, knowing that my favorite time of year has come to an end. I felt bad putting my bow in it's case and putting it away this afternoon. I jokingly apologized to it for my anticlimactic sucky season and that it never had the opportunity to draw blood! Worst season I've ever had... Pretty pathetic actually!

43 hunts

11 doe sightings (I believe 5 different does and fawns)

5 buck sightings (3 different bucks)

34 hunts saw nothing

I'm with you on the "See-no-deer-season" too! I wish I could be excited about gun season, but between my few sightings during bow season AND knowing that last year, I only saw a doe and fawn between the start of gun season and the end of muzzleloader season, I'm not hopeful at all! So few deer around that I've vowed not to shoot any does. If I have to go without venison in the freezer, then so be it. Trying to be optimistic that a shooter buck could come cruising through or chasing a doe, but I fell for that optimism too many times during bow season, only to get bitch-slapped back to reality and not see anything. I'm pretty much going to go out during gun season to try to take out a few coyotes.

Good luck! 

20 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Wow Steve, I had a very similar experience in 8H, but far less deer. I logged hunt #43 this morning, but was sad climbing out of the stand, knowing that my favorite time of year has come to an end. I felt bad putting my bow in it's case and putting it away this afternoon. I jokingly apologized to it for my anticlimactic sucky season and that it never had the opportunity to draw blood! Worst season I've ever had... Pretty pathetic actually!

43 hunts

11 doe sightings (I believe 5 different does and fawns)

5 buck sightings (3 different bucks)

34 hunts saw nothing

I'm with you on the "See-no-deer-season" too! I wish I could be excited about gun season, but between my few sightings during bow season AND knowing that last year, I only saw a doe and fawn between the start of gun season and the end of muzzleloader season, I'm not hopeful at all! So few deer around that I've vowed not to shoot any does. If I have to go without venison in the freezer, then so be it. Trying to be optimistic that a shooter buck could come cruising through or chasing a doe, but I fell for that optimism too many times during bow season, only to get bitch-slapped back to reality and not see anything. I'm pretty much going to go out during gun season to try to take out a few coyotes.

Good luck! 

Good luck to you also!!! I never get excited about gun season or very optimistic about it though I spend a considerable amount of time doing it.

I like being in the woods hunting and I gun hunt primarily to get at least one deer for jerky. For me it is anticlimactic. Bang, flop, drag.

In this part of 8h there are a ton of deer but getting access to hunt them is a struggle. I have lost my prime properties due to property sales, deaths of land owners etc. After the main surge is over, I usually head for the state lands and have had most of my success there. It is hard hunting but can be rewarding and I don't have to deal with disgruntled land owners. There is quite a bit of state land around and I hunt 8h, 8n, and 8m because I have dmp's for them. I've killed some decent bucks on state land but never a slammer and have seen some real nice ones taken.

As of yet I have not taken up muzzleloader and usually try to make it out during the late season with the bow a few times weather permitting.

It is what it is and I take it as it comes but I am always disappointed when I don’t score during bow.

20 hours ago, Belo said:

I lover archery so much that I almost hate opening day as it signifies the end to my favorite time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belo

That makes two of us. I hope I never have to choose between the two but if I do my choice will be archery.

• Like 2