Treestands & Ratchet Straps

Cabin Fever

Thought I'd mention something that I've noticed very recently. I've been to 3 different ladder stands for various reasons in the last couple of days and was very surprised that most of the ratchet straps were fairly loose and in need of cranking 3-4 more clicks to secure. I've been in these stands all during bow season with no issues. I'm wondering if the cold weather that we've had in the past few days caused some "shrinkage" in the trees or if the wind and swaying trees cause the straps to stretch or if it could be a combination of the two? I was installing a shooting rail on one stand today and puckered a bit at how much the stand shifted when I got to the top of the ladder stand. 

Before you climb into that stand in the morning, you might want to double check at how secure it is, just to be on the safe side... 

• Like 4

If the straps are older, the stitching starts to separate. I always have two straps on every stand, one that is new every fall. The oldest gets cut off and replaced. The following yr I add a new one, and cut the oldest off, leaving a new one and a yr old one on every stand. 

• Like 2

These are all brand new to 1 year old heavy straps, not the cheapos that come with the stands either. It was odd, as it just happened in the last few days. I never thought about checking the stands, as I'm in them all during bow season. The only assumption I can come up with is that maybe the freezing temps constricts the tree a bit or maybe the high winds and swaying trees stretches the straps a bit? I only have ladder stands, so maybe between the swaying tree and supported legs on the ground causes the straps to stretch? Hell, I don't know! Just thought I'd throw it out there for everyone to double check before climbing into the stand in the morning.

Edited by Cabin Fever

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 9:35 PM, Cabin Fever said:

These are all brand new to 1 year old heavy straps, not the cheapos that come with the stands either. It was odd, as it just happened in the last few days. I never thought about checking the stands, as I'm in them all during bow season. The only assumption I can come up with is that maybe the freezing temps constricts the tree a bit or maybe the high winds and swaying trees stretches the straps a bit? I only have ladder stands, so maybe between the swaying tree and supported legs on the ground causes the straps to stretch? Hell, I don't know! Just thought I'd throw it out there for everyone to double check before climbing into the stand in the morning.

You sure someone's not fucking with you? 

Winds can stretch the straps, and we certainly had that, but the cold temperatures wouldn't loosen them, it'd tighten them. With this said though, all of the ladder stands on my hunting property are nice and tight to the trees just as they have been since I checked this summer.