Deep woods or edges ?

luberhill

None of my spots are great. I get doe and some decent buck pics on my cam but most at night ..

One spot is deep in the woods kinda mid way down on a flat .

I have a ground blind there . Killed a doe there last year and a decent buck two yrs ago.

Yesterday at for 8 hrs saw nothing !

Back this morning for 6 hrs , nothing.

There is a nice trout stream running thru it , farm fields cut corn and cut beans on the south border and the east border.

I have a ladder stand right on the edge of the woods, facing the woods with the cut corn behind me ..

I don’t sit this stand much but thinking maybe a good evening spot ?

29 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

You have a stand you know produces. have patience and sit in it. You can not predict what five second period a deer may choose to walk through....usually five minutes before or after we are there, or the five seconds our nose is in the cell phone/etc.

Yea I hear ya, I was going to let it cool off a day or two

But that’s probably when Bubba will show 

I don’t like to hunt any stand more than once per week.  The first time in any stand or blind each year is usually the best for me.  I saw 5 deer from my deep woods, swamp edge “gun opener” stand yesterday morning, all in easy gun range.  That was my first time in it this year. 

After lunch, I went to a field edge stand that I had used once in early antlerless gun season, and once during crossbow.  I saw just one deer, which would have been a chip shot even with a bow.

Today, I started in a woods edge stand that I had hunted out of briefly with my crossbow last Sunday.  I saw nothing from it until 9:30, when I moved to another stand on the opposite corner of the woods.  That was my first time in that one this year but no deer showed up in the lucrative 10:00 -12:07 time slot. 

Now,  I am in a different, field-edge stand till dark.  I haven’t been in it since September, so I am hoping for the best, but not expecting much.  When I was half way back here,  I realized that I left my extra slugs up at the house when I broke for lunch.  I only have the two in the clip and one in the chamber.   If I thought my odds of seeing something was better, I would have went back for more slugs.

Considering that I only heard 3 shots in the whole neighborhood between 6:45 and 12:07, I think I am good with just 3 slugs.  It is starting to sprinkle a little bit now so I may soon move downstairs into the enclosed part of my two story open top blind. 

06A212A0-796D-4D8E-B88D-511A7F65068A.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

If a stand is hot I'll hunt it everyday or until I kill something. Spots don't stay hot forever. In your case, I'd mix it up and try the cornfield tonight. If the deer weren't pressured much yet they'll be likely to come out before dark. I saw deer grazing in fields last night before dark adjacent to state land that got hunted pretty good. But if you know the other spot is proven it may just be a matter of time spent there. It's tough to sit the same spot repeatedly after seeing nothing but sometimes it's the right call.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, luberhill said:

That kinda looks like my box blind spot

B35B651A-0C6D-4A7F-9933-09FF6F39E592.jpeg

A1DD79E8-4814-4737-A574-F2A6DC1727AC.jpeg

35AF312F-D728-49EC-AA03-0C39ACA9D8EB.jpeg

8A9B7E0C-17AD-4E88-902E-B51B67A2FD30.jpeg

I just saw a turkey out of this one.  Last time I saw turkeys on opening weekend of gun, there was a big buck with them.  Too bad I spooked this bird away, reaching for my phone, to take its picture. 

It depends on where you are hunting and what you want to shoot. I hunt pressured public land. You won't see a mature buck waltzing through open woods very often during daylight, let alone walking out into a field.  So hunting the thick cover or a transition area is best.

On the other hand if you're on private land, hunting over a field edge in the afternoons may be your best bet. And younger less experienced deer may be found wandering anywhere there's food and cover.