2021 Butcher Block!!!

crappyice

What better way to kick this off this year’s thread than meeting with @Chef this morning to swap some pork fat for some ground venison with the heart.

48809f4cb0f28cbbf65f96f9e62fd185.jpg

Curious how the heart will change things up. Ratio is about 2 pounds of trim to 5oz of pork fat and 10oz of heart.

As an aside to this quick meeting, I sent him a text last night asking where I could order fat…he was here at my school 16 hours later with 3 pounds from his private stash.

#FreeChef!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

9d2c960537155061a8872faeb234ce9a.jpg

Got some work to do before Turkey day…mama Crappy doesn’t want them hanging next to the deep fryer for the Turkey

Do you or anyone you know keep some meat bone-in like osso buco or ribs?

@TreeGuy says he’s not aware of anyone keeping bone-in venison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

It use to be more of a thing before CWD to have bone in cuts just like beef steak cuts. Butchers would process the deer the same way they would a cow. 

Now with CWD around the recommendation is to not cut the bone of deer and to process it by deboning it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

We keep a few smaller hind quarters whole each year for “caveman roasts”

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2010/03/how-cook-leg-venison/

EFF47DF3-4E4E-4616-A194-AA5C0A4EAD0F.jpeg

63FA8A95-8DBF-44AC-AABC-929FDDF353F3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, johnplav said:

We keep a few smaller hind quarters whole each year for “caveman roasts”

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2010/03/how-cook-leg-venison/

EFF47DF3-4E4E-4616-A194-AA5C0A4EAD0F.jpeg

63FA8A95-8DBF-44AC-AABC-929FDDF353F3.jpeg

Im going to keep a whole leg from yesterdays doe and do this. I know ive seen somewhere that there are lymph nodes in there that should be removed, can anyone confirm?

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

FOR SURE!!!  

Osso Bucco is usually made with the shanks, you should have 4 good ones per deer and it is easier to cut the bone and tie the meat before freezing.  

The front shoulder is pretty difficult to trim for any decent sized roasts and it is is a lot of work even to get grind out of it.  But it is very delicious when braised on an over or crock pot.  All the meat will just fall off the bone when done and you can go in a lot of directions after that.  One of our favorites is Barbacoa.  Incredible Tacos, burritos, quesadillas, etc.  

I have done a bone in back leg roast, but getting large cuts off the back end is pretty easy, so I usually don't leave that part bone in.  

A couple of weeks ago, we cooked a whole bone in neck roast and made "Polish Pot Roast".  My wife raved about it. She is a real meat and potatoes girl. 

One thing I have not played with is the rib meat, but I have seen several recipes that utilize the ribs and rib bone.  Ala beef short rib. 

If you are keeping whole cuts you should buy one cookbook that is a literally a bible of wild game meat: Hank Shaw's Buck, Buck, Moose.  Or at least subscribe to his newsletter. 

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Im going to keep a whole leg from yesterdays doe and do this. I know ive seen somewhere that there are lymph nodes in there that should be removed, can anyone confirm?

I guess you could dig the large node out of the lower portion of the leg.  I remove it when I break down the leg into roasts.  But when I leave the leg whole,  I don't worry about them.   

• Like 1

Yeah that thing be nasty!!!! I’ll take a look later today or tomorrow and pay attention to trying to remove it without pulling large muscle groups off.

• Like 1

I do deer ribs as long as their not shot up too bad. Just cut off any big chunks of fat first. Any of the connective tissue and silver skin will break down just fine on the smoker. I do them similar to pork ribs. 2 or 3 hours at 225, then wrap in foil for another 2 or 3 hours(maybe longer on a big old buck or doe). However long it takes for them to get tender. You can raise the temp when wrapped to speed up the process. Then sauce and back on unwrapped for half hour to an hour. We love em!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I do deer ribs as long as their not shot up too bad. Just cut off any big chunks of fat first. Any of the connective tissue and silver skin will break down just fine on the smoker. I do them similar to pork ribs. 2 or 3 hours at 225, then wrap in foil for another 2 or 3 hours(maybe longer on a big old buck or doe). However long it takes for them to get tender. You can raise the temp when wrapped to speed up the process. Then sauce and back on unwrapped for half hour to an hour. We love em!

I may do ribs this time- I did it years ago and recall them being “waxy” but the flavor with a blueberry BBQ sauce was pretty good.
May crock pot cook them and then finish on the grill with sauce

• Like 1

I may do ribs this time- I did it years ago and recall them being “waxy” but the flavor with a blueberry BBQ sauce was pretty good.
May crock pot cook them and then finish on the grill with sauce

Yea you really have to get all the thick tallow fat off it then you're good to go

1 hour ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Yea you really have to get all the thick tallow fat off it then you're good to go

This reminds me of last year my cousin was helping me cut up my bow buck,of course beer and tunes involved.he was all gunho on trying deer ribs on the gas grill.he didn't trim em n just slapped em on the grill,one bite and the look on his face was priceless when he was schmackin his gums the rest of the night due to a coating of fat:rofl::rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pork fat does not freeze and when mixed with ground venison, the taste gets worse in direct proportion to the time it is in the freezer, even if it is vacuum sealed.  100 % venison tastes the same, when it has been vacuum sealed in a freezer for 5 years, as the day it was ground. 

If you want venison hamburg patties to stay together on the grill, mix a raw egg in with it and form the patties a few hours minimum before grilling. 

We recently finished the last of some vacuum sealed pork mixed ground venison, from last season, that a buddy gave us.  Our tacos are tasting a lot better, now that we are back on the pure stuff, from a doe that I killed 3 seasons ago.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

This reminds me of last year my cousin was helping me cut up my bow buck,of course beer and tunes involved.he was all gunho on trying deer ribs on the gas grill.he didn't trim em n just slapped em on the grill,one bite and the look on his face was priceless when he was schmackin his gums the rest of the night due to a coating of fat:rofl::rofl:

Haha that's hilarious! Ive been in similar situations. One involved a deep fried grilled cheese sandwich….

a85d284df4f6492bca8187bd6721b327.jpg
Slice this seem and then using your fingers separate those muscles to find the node that needs to be removed.
here is the node but on the other hind quarter
a94ade8b579ad0477c43bec920e1ccb8.jpg

All the muscle groups can remain on the bone but you may want to tie it closed with butcher string (maybe after seasoning the inside and hiding some garlics cloves and herbs in there!).

• Like 4