2021 Butcher Block!!!

crappyice

a85d284df4f6492bca8187bd6721b327.jpg
Slice this seem and then using your fingers separate those muscles to find the node that needs to be removed.
here is the node but on the other hind quarter
a94ade8b579ad0477c43bec920e1ccb8.jpg

All the muscle groups can remain on the bone but you may want to tie it closed with butcher string (maybe after seasoning the inside and hiding some garlics cloves and herbs in there!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

781974bdb1be0dab92abbc93062de3a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Banged out a guy’s buck from the gun opener today. 56 pounds she all said and done.
c754ad87537807e750abdaa31aeeeccb.jpg
77dedc91db4924bb4dca70ec9bb5b3ee.jpg
168087b8729ad2fe9ba9f3e2b8220edb.jpg

I’m most excited about the 6 pounds of boneless neck roast meat. I must say though, this meat has a “gutty” smell while no guts were harmed in the making of this meat- entry through shoulder and out ribs.
The doe I processed yesterday just felt and smelt cleaner…probably a year younger and a bit smaller and a touch fattier. My new chest freezer is not just about full and a freezer temperature monitor has been installed! One more would make me real happy…2 more would let me play around with a bunch of jerky and sausage and prepare a bunch for my colleagues at work.
I really enjoy when “newbies” enjoy the venison I provide. Never know what access a good meal can provide!!!

• Like 3

Nice. A hunting/cooking show I watch the guy did this and made a Wellington with this cut.  He also had a layer of chopped mushrooms and onions inside. Then cut it like you would lollypops. Looked great. 

Makes sense… I haven’t done a Wellington in a while if I get a 3rd deer this year I will

Banged out a guy’s buck from the gun opener today. 56 pounds she all said and done.
c754ad87537807e750abdaa31aeeeccb.jpg
77dedc91db4924bb4dca70ec9bb5b3ee.jpg
168087b8729ad2fe9ba9f3e2b8220edb.jpg

I must say though, this meat has a “gutty” smell while no guts were harmed in the making of this meat- entry through shoulder and out ribs.
The doe I processed yesterday just felt and smelt cleaner…probably a year younger and a bit smaller and a touch fattier.

Funny you mention the smell part and I’ll have to pay more attention to buck/doe/young/old/big/small in the future but I have definitely smelled what I’ll describe as “questionable” meat while processing and it’s had me very nervous even though the meat was handled properly start to finish and still had the nice red color it should have. I always chalked it up to me being paranoid but the meat has always tasted as good as it should.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

Funny you mention the smell part and I’ll have to pay more attention to buck/doe/young/old/big/small in the future but I have definitely smelled what I’ll describe as “questionable” meat while processing and it’s had me very nervous even though the meat was handled properly start to finish and still had the nice red color it should have. I always chalked it up to me being paranoid but the meat has always tasted as good as it should.

Is it possible its the rutty smell that you guys are mixing with gutty :)