2021 Butcher Block!!!

crappyice

How long can meat stay in the fridge after butchering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve never had a problem leaving meat in the fridge for a few days. I can’t recall exactly but I’ve easily done 3-4 days after taking it off the bone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe this is or isn't the right place for this, but I blew up some shoulders Saturday. On one hand I was happy as this deer took zero steps and died almost instantly. On the other hand I got very little meat for the grind pile out of these shoulders. 

I know some rifle hunters purposefully take this shot, but it struck me when processing yesterday that if you're shooting a deer for meat... what a silly shot to take. I get it if it's the only shot, or if it's a buck (to some degree). Otherwise I don't think I'll ever intentionally take that shot again. 

Am I wrong?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

Maybe this is or isn't the right place for this, but I blew up some shoulders Saturday. On one hand I was happy as this deer took zero steps and died almost instantly. On the other hand I got very little meat for the grind pile out of these shoulders. 

I know some rifle hunters purposefully take this shot, but it struck me when processing yesterday that if you're shooting a deer for meat... what a silly shot to take. I get it if it's the only shot, or if it's a buck (to some degree). Otherwise I don't think I'll ever intentionally take that shot again. 

Am I wrong?

Steven Rinella says to shoot them through the ribs for this exact reason.

4 minutes ago, virgil said:

Steven Rinella says to shoot them through the ribs for this exact reason.

Yeah I think this is a common thought today, just wondering if there's something I'm missing. I do understand that a dead deer and most meat is better than a lost deer and no meat. But again if you're shooting a doe, you're not killing for any other reason than meat. My dad once had to shoot down at a doe and we lost half the backstraps. In hindsight, we both agreed it just didn't make sense if meat was our only goal. 

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

Am I wrong?

I agree with you. I try to go just behind the shoulder through the ribs if possible. My spike on Saturday was quartering away a little more than I thought, hit ribs on the entry but shoulder on the exit. I'll lose a good portion on the shoulder due to damage. 

End of the day some lost meat is better than no meat at all and if that means hitting both shoulders then what else are you going to do. Not every situation is ideal. 

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

Am I wrong?

I don't think you are on this one. How hard is it to track a deer 100yds after taking both lungs out?  Pretty easy I think.

I don't know why people are infatuated with the deer not running a small ways. 

I never take a shot that ruins meat if I don't have to,and I generally don't have to.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I don't think you are on this one. How hard is it to track a deer 100yds after taking both lungs out?  Pretty easy I think.

I don't know why people are infatuated with the deer not running a small ways. 

I never take a shot that ruins meat if I don't have to,and I generally don't have to.

yeah but it's a very popular shot none the less. I will say that with archery I've had deer go 100 yards and not bleed and it took hours and hours of grid searching to find. I guess the devils advocate is that not all deer bleed like they should and a blood trail is still some risk, especially in a swamp, thick brush, corn fields etc. 

I had to aim considerably farther back than I wanted to last Friday, because the shoulder was behind a tree.  The slug hit near the back of the rib cage, about midway down, penetrating thru to the opposite rib, but not exiting.  Hopefully, I will be rewarded with more meat, because of that.  I will find out Sunday afternoon when I skin it.  

My experience has been, that slow moving shotgun slugs don’t cause a lot of meat damage compared to fast rifle bullets, when the shoulder is struck.  

What caliber and bullet were you using ?

Here is what the 16 ga Remington slugger looked like when it fell out under the hoist:

6DE6E31C-31DC-4A8B-A5D5-07B406D4A7B5.jpeg

1418DDDC-AFF2-41BA-B9C4-7B1C995250E8.jpeg

After taking the hit, It trotted off at a medium speed, about 20 yards forward, turned 90 degrees, then 60 yards to the left before going down in some real thick stuff.  

I would have preferred a shoulder shot, because recovery would have been way tougher without the dusting of snow.  I don’t think that slow moving slug would have wrecked much meat on the shoulder, based on my past experiences with them.

I really like the shoulder shots when there is a group of antlerless deer and I have multiple dmp’s.  Very often, the others will stick around a while when the leader goes down.  

Edited by wolc123

Am I wrong?
The only time I will take that shoulder shot is when you don't want to risk the deer running anywhere. Examples for me are heavy rain, guys hunting near you, heavy snow, on the edge of a nasty swamp etc... No need to ruin a significant portion of meat to save yourself a 50 yd blood trail in most cases. Some people seem to pride themselves on "dropping deer" which to some must elude to being a better shot? I don't know.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Picked up my last doe today. I take 1 per year to a buddy that processes to have some special stuff made that he does a killer job on and I don't have to mess with it. This time I went with 25lbs of salami and had him grind the rest of the deer and mix with some pork for burgers.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

The livers soaking in milk to become liver bacon and onion sandwiches.  The heart’s gonna be pickled, and the tenderloins are getting vacuum-sealed and frozen just in case this is the last deer of the season.  Rest of the deer will hang for a few days. 

DE276D03-C2B4-453E-B6C9-6499783DB74D.jpeg

8170D12B-293A-4313-97A2-F1D9CE03DEC9.jpeg

C1DD2837-1F19-4340-881D-389478387155.jpeg

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 4