2021 Butcher Block!!!

crappyice

He had a few cool tricks I will try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The tendon closer to the hoof(ya know the paw!) seems like a good idea. I can never get all that hide off easily when the gambrel is through that main tendon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this video shows a very small field dress opening and how to avoid ripping off the brisket meat while skinning. He also makes easy work of skinning the neck which I struggle with

Bearded butchers are the best

19 minutes ago, crappyice said:

So this video shows a very small field dress opening and how to avoid ripping off the brisket meat while skinning. He also makes easy work of skinning the neck which I struggle with

It’s always faster for me to start at the head end when skinning.  If it’s cold enough, I usually leave the hide on a week or so, before processing.  

Leaving the hide on insulates against temperature extremes and keeps the meat from drying out.  The small field dress opening probably helps with that, and might be worth a try.    

Looks awesome!  Did you add in cure to it?  

Very little…recipe calls for 1/8oz of Cure#1 for 5 pounds. Actually now that I remember I didn’t even use all the spices they recommended. Did a taste testing after mixing most of it and it was where I wanted it although I did add an additional 1/2 of jalapeño pepper

Very little…recipe calls for 1/8oz of Cure#1 for 5 pounds. Actually now that I remember I didn’t even use all the spices they recommended. Did a taste testing after mixing most of it and it was where I wanted it although I did add an additional 1/2 of jalapeño pepper

Yea the peppers them selves are very different in spice level that it’s hard to follow a recipe..

I would recommend mixing a Serrano in there if you want extra heat.

I don’t know why but I have in my head that I want to do a Korean BBQ flavored sausage

Yea the peppers them selves are very different in spice level that it’s hard to follow a recipe..

I would recommend mixing a Serrano in there if you want extra heat.

I don’t know why but I have in my head that I want to do a Korean BBQ flavored sausage

I made venison meat dumplings once and the venison worked well

• Like 1

You taste tested raw meat?

The Jerkman?!? $20 million product? You can’t beat my meat?!?

Come on man…make a little patty, fry it off and taste the seasonings and adjust

I've never made sausage so I wouldn't know. Glad to hear you adjust after cooking. I'm still waiting to learn how to grind the meat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

It has that great red color to it so was thinking you added some cure then cooked low and slow.  

I make venison jalepeno too but I make it as fresh sausage and haven't smoked it.  Gotta try some green Tabasco in it. Really ups the jalepeno flavor without too much heat.  

I have tenderquick but I don't like adding much as it can make it too salty for smoking.  Gonna have to try the cure instead. 

I also make apple breakfast sausage.  Great Minds. Didn't make that this season though. 

Next venture might be a roasted red pepper and chorizo. But I have a ton of spices still for smoked, cracked pepper, apple, country breakfast, and maple.  

• Like 1