Update on gun buck

Swamp_bucks

So a friend posted the picture of me and the buck on CNY big buck facebook. Within minutes someone said they new the buck. Actually missed him last year during bow but had a bunch of trail camera pictures of him. The guy was nice enough to send them to us and was very happy someone local took him. Told us congrats and good luck with the rest of the season.

So he has th3 last 3 years of pictures of him so we are guessing he's 5.5-6.5 yrs old. Unfortunately I forgot to ask the taxidermist to keep his jaw bone but he said he was all of 4.5 and probably older.

Cool little ending to a great stateland deer.

35957.jpeg

35960.jpeg

35963.jpeg

35850.jpeg

• Like 21

How far from where you got him did the other gentleman have him on camera. 

Similar thing happened to me this year except I was guy who had the buck on camera several years and sent photos to the guy who shot the buck this year .

Edited by sbuff

5 minutes ago, sbuff said:

How far from where you got him did the other gentleman have him on camera. 

Similar thing happened to me this year except I was guy who had the buck on camera seceral years and sent photos to the guy who shot the buck this year .

Bot far but can't give a definite answer on that. Probably with a mile. 

@chrisw my guess is he was using both but when pressure picks up they head deep into the stateland my group hunts. We've seen big ones on this piece before.  The guy did state he could never catch up to him during gun because he thought he went nocturnal. I think he just shifted just enough he was in my neck of the woods during gun season.

• Like 1

Cool story to weave in.

Look at his daylight dates....alot of people here in NY choose to be off work early November. No doubt getting that first estrous doe or one of the first can make things wild but the most amount of daylighting I see by the older bucks (not the 2/3s), seems to be later than when people take time off. Part of the reason why I start taking time off at the tail end of the first week and through mid Nov. now is because of this.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, phade said:

Cool story to weave in.

Look at his daylight dates....alot of people here in NY choose to be off work early November. No doubt getting that first estrous doe or one of the first can make things wild but the most amount of daylighting I see by the older bucks (not the 2/3s), seems to be later than when people take time off. Part of the reason why I start taking time off at the tail end of the first week and through mid Nov. now is because of this.

Only picture in October he sent that was daylight was the 28th of last year. Everything else is that second week of November or later.

Can't wait to see what moves in and takes his place.  As long as it lives the rest of the year the buck that was shot at from our group opening day should be a bruiser next year as well.  That hill I hunt always holds 1 or 2 giants every year it seems like. Just took 20 years to finally get a good shot on one.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Can't wait to see what moves in and takes his place.  As long as it lives the rest of the year the buck that was shot at from our group opening day should be a bruiser next year as well.  That hill I hunt always holds 1 or 2 giants every year it seems like. Just took 20 years to finally get a good shot on one.

He gonna be a dandy. Seen him first hand lol through the scope.

Great buck and even better story on how social media was favorable to hunters this time.  Hunters helping each other out proves there are great people who care.  Karma is real. Congrats that is a really good buck you’ll remember forever 

2 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

So a friend posted the picture of me and the buck on CNY big buck facebook. Within minutes someone said they new the buck. Actually missed him last year during bow but had a bunch of trail camera pictures of him. The guy was nice enough to send them to us and was very happy someone local took him. Told us congrats and good luck with the rest of the season.

So he has th3 last 3 years of pictures of him so we are guessing he's 5.5-6.5 yrs old. Unfortunately I forgot to ask the taxidermist to keep his jaw bone but he said he was all of 4.5 and probably older.

Cool little ending to a great stateland deer.

35957.jpeg

35960.jpeg

35963.jpeg

35850.jpeg

Nice what zone ?

32 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Cool story In the future you don’t even need the jaw bone. Just two bottom lower teeth to send to deer age . Com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yea I'm really kicking myself for not doing it. From the stories I'm hearing he's had that tall rack for 4 years now and when he was first found on camera he was a 2.5-3.5 already. So we are guessing he's 6.5-7.5 if not older.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Yea I'm really kicking myself for not doing it. From the stories I'm hearing he's had that tall rack for 4 years now and when he was first found on camera he was a 2.5-3.5 already. So we are guessing he's 6.5-7.5 if not older.

Should send down the pressure canner lol. I believe it. He was going other way but still one hell of a monster. Was a pleasure to help drag.