New rifle recommendations

REDNECK4LIFE32

Well looking at hanging up the heavy Remington 7400 30-06. That should be at the bottom of lake Gerry but didn't drink enough. I mainly hunt the Adirondacks. Thick swampy and mountainous terrain. Looking for a light don't care wooded or synthetic stock. Caliber that's good for brush. Already had a buddy recommend the Henry golden boy. Let's hear them. Hoping for some replys.

2 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Well looking at hanging up the heavy Remington 7400 30-06. That should be at the bottom of lake Gerry but didn't drink enough. I mainly hunt the Adirondacks. Thick swampy and mountainous terrain. Looking for a light don't care wooded or synthetic stock. Caliber that's good for brush. Already had a buddy recommend the Henry golden boy. Let's hear them. Hoping for some replys.

.44 magnum in a Henry or Marlin lever.

• Like 1

First you need to decide on the action type you want. Do you plan on optics? Average shot distance? Barrel length? I advise possibly staying with the 30-06 because you have the ammunition. So hard to find anything these days. I know when i buy a new gun i shoot the hell out of it. I would recommend you find a Remington 760/7600. Basically same gun you have but a pump action. I know some folks on here have them and can attest to their greatness! I know you mentioned heavy, if you want to lighten things up look hard at the Tikka T3 line. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
  • Like 2

I have a ruger American in 30-06.  Nice and light yet packs a punch and shoots for distance. And like spiff said you have the ammo. 

The 450 Bushmaster is a nice rig. Short light and very accurate out to 200.  I enjoyed carrying it. 

My northern zone hiking rifle is my Winchester model 94 30/30.  Light, short and I have a 4 power fixed scope . 

• Like 2

Yes optics and don't really care about action. I'll adapt. Ammo is very hard to come by. Crazy. I have 2 older model 94 30-30s Winchester and a Sears roebuck. Retired my dad's and grandfather's will be my boys they can decide when they reach the age. I had a Ruger American chambered in 308 shooting whitetail  rounds red white blue box. Couldn't get it to hit consistantly. All around a mud bucket top. I sold the rifle not b4 passing a bruiser up on state land hunting the independence river wild forest. Cuz I didn't feel confident with it. Same way I feel now about my 06 hits a baseball or smaller at 100 yards but must have hit something I didn't see when aiming at buck on Saturday. The jamming sucks.

Browning BAR IN 308 or 30-06. Several options available. I have 5 BARs from 308 to 300 WinMag. The 308 and 06 are easy handling ..accurate…and RELIABLE
I second this. Browning BAR synthetic stalker in 30-06. I currently have one of this exact rifle and love it, light, accurate, fast shooting, mild recoil, weather durable.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Yes optics and don't really care about action. I'll adapt. Ammo is very hard to come by. Crazy. I have 2 older model 94 30-30s Winchester and a Sears roebuck. Retired my dad's and grandfather's will be my boys they can decide when they reach the age. I had a Ruger American chambered in 308 shooting whitetail  rounds red white blue box. Couldn't get it to hit consistantly. All around a mud bucket top. I sold the rifle not b4 passing a bruiser up on state land hunting the independence river wild forest. Cuz I didn't feel confident with it. Same way I feel now about my 06 hits a baseball or smaller at 100 yards but must have hit something I didn't see when aiming at buck on Saturday. The jamming sucks.

Was up there last year for a day. Never made it this year.

IMG_20201112_111234807_HDR.jpg.dd4252c286d33712edf46660d6a3248d.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

I am a .308 man. The Mauser m18 is a fantastic rifle that has been out for a few years now. Just bought one last year. Bolt with removable magazine, the best dang trigger I ever pulled, three position safety, synthetic stock that doesnt look like crap...LIst price is around eight hundred bucks, but I found mine for under five on Gunbroker, delivered to a local shop.

• Like 1

Get a marlin 336 chambered in 30-30 or 35 Remington.

Or go all out and get a 444p
Or a 45–70

But for that terrain I would go lever for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the 30-30’s use them or sell me the 94 lol

I have a 336W 3030 that I do not use. Ran 10 round through it. Safe queen.

Also have the laminate/stainless Mossberg 3030. Maybe 15 rounds through it. Safe queen.

I just can’t get use to the action in a hunting scenario.

For me, if I needed a light mountain rifle for 150 yard or less shots, it’d be a CVA Scout in a favorable chambering or a Kimber Hunter.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Get a marlin 336 chambered in 30-30 or 35 Remington.

Or go all out and get a 444p
Or a 45–70

But for that terrain I would go lever for sure

This^^^^

No need to read other posts, lol.

• Like 1

Yes I will been looking started today hard thing is finding ammo so I may use one of my 3030 till I hand it down.
I was wondering why you wouldn't just use one of the 30-30's? Hunting ammo in just about every caliber has been hard to find, unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk