New rifle recommendations

REDNECK4LIFE32

You couldn't give me a lever gun.  Pump gun maybe but bolt action all day long........

Brush Bustin' lever gun, get serious will you!!

.243 (yikes!) .260, 7mm-08, .308, OR, if you'd rather a LA receiver how about a 25/06, .270 or (gulp) a 30-06 LOL

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Yes I will been looking started today hard thing is finding ammo so I may use one of my 3030 till I hand it down.

I am really looking forward to seeing how a 30/30 does on a buck.  I have only killed three with a center fire rifle (all with my 30/06).  That thing is way too heavy and bulky to carry up in the dacks, but it flattened every one, on impact.  

I passed a chip shot on a small buck here in wny, with my shotgun on opening day, as I will over the upcoming  4 day Holliday weekend, to save my tag for another chance at a buck up north with a 30/30.

I was going to head up there this weekend, but delayed the trip until the following weekend.  I went with a 30/30 because it has probably killed more deer than any other caliber in NY, and I thought amok would always be easy to find.  

Do you know what's causing the 7400 to jam up?

I had one a while ago in .270 and was dumb enough to trade it. Last spring when I was selling one of the shotguns a guy offered me a 750 in .308 even up, and I declined due to them being the replacement for the 7400 in 2006 ( I think that was the year ). I said no because that's well after Remington started having sort of crappy guns.

I would suggest a Howa Ranchland 1500, but they are a tad heavy for a short rifle. My Axis XP is fairly light, I think around 5-6LBS with the scope.

Edited by DirtTime
dang spell check

Brought rifle to gun smith today he took it out shot it said loaded good ejected good. Said could be ammo. Said gun was warm could have been cold. Told me I probably wasn't meant to kill that buck. I laughed said maybe. He said bring it in after season and he'll do a in-depth cleaning. So will do that looked at rifles on shelf not very many and no rifle ammo.

4 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Do you know what's causing the 7400 to jam up?

I had one a while ago in .270 and was dumb enough to trade it. Last spring when I was selling one of the shotguns a guy offered me a 750 in .308 even, and I declined due to them being the replacement for the 7400 in 2006 ( I think that was the year ). I said no because that's well after Remington started having sort of crappy guns.

I would suggest a Howa Ranchland 1500, but they are a tad heavy for a short rifle. My Axis XP is fairly light, I think around 5-6LBS with the scope.

Not sure what's going on killed lots of deer with it. First shot went off then squeezed trigger didn't go off reracked squeezed no shot reracked again nothing.

4 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Not sure what's going on killed lots of deer with it. First shot went off then squeezed trigger didn't go off reracked squeezed no shot reracked again nothing.

Ah, now I remember you posting about that the other day. That sucks man.

2 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Were there dents in the primer? Gun sounds very dirty. They can be hard to clean well and have earned a bad rep because of that. Firing pin may not be falling with full force. I have had that happen to me before. Sometimes firing pin protrusion and primer seating depth are at the opposite ends of being in spec and reliability goes out the window. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

9 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Were there dents in the primer? Gun sounds very dirty. They can be hard to clean well and have earned a bad rep because of that. Firing pin may not be falling with full force. I have had that happen to me before. Sometimes firing pin protrusion and primer seating depth are at the opposite ends of being in spec and reliability goes out the window. 

Dont know was in the moment and 15 feet in tree. Was pretty upset never looked for extracted rounds. I clean the barrel and spray bolt with rem oil. Goes off and kills all the small bucks but not when the big ones come by. There a reason I kill the first buck that comes by now cuz the gun won't kill the big one anyway.

• Like 2

Hunting the ADK’s the only rifle to use is a Remington 7600 pump.

Unfortunately Remington is not making them at this time and they are expensive right now.

I hunted for many years with a 742 and then a 7400. My guess is the bolt was out of battery. 

On 11/22/2021 at 6:16 PM, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Thick swampy and mountainous terrain. Looking for a light don't care wooded or synthetic stock. Caliber that's good for brush

As you can see when asking about opinions for the best hunting rifle and caliber to meet your specs the answers are wide and variable, kind of like asking what is the best truck or hunting dog.

I would not place so much emphasis on the action because the reality is in the type of terrain you are describing you will almost surely be firing just one shot. Miss that all important first shot and the odds of getting an accurate second shot off at a streaking Deer in thick cover are not good. I would narrow it down to something light weight, fast handling and compact using an action and style that you like personally and feel comfortable and confident using.

I have several rifles that will work well for woods hunting in thick cover but I would say the one that fits the parameters best in tight cover when the leaves are on and ranges short is a little Marlin 94 44 mag.

Al

2019-11-09_044718.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mike103 said:

Hunting the ADK’s the only rifle to use is a Remington 7600 pump.

Unfortunately Remington is not making them at this time and they are expensive right now.

I hunted for many years with a 742 and then a 7400. My guess is the bolt was out of battery. 

Yea my action was like lock when I went to unload it. Had to bang on it to get it to release and unload my rifle. 

1 hour ago, airedale said:

I have several rifles that will work well for woods hunting in thick cover but I would say the one that fits the parameters best in tight cover when the leaves are on and ranges short is a little Marlin 94 44 mag.

Al

Honest question: What would be the advantage of a .44 Mag vs a 30-30?  The lever action would be way more reliable than a semi, but why a bigger/slower bullet?

7 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Honest question: What would be the advantage of a .44 Mag vs a 30-30?  The lever action would be way more reliable than a semi, but why a bigger/slower bullet?

There probably would be no real advantage between those two cartridges at the short ranges we are talking about in this thread, both are proven whitetail killers. I have never killed a Deer with a 30-30 but it has a long track record which I respect. The 44 mag I do have some experience with, mostly with handguns and some with this Marlin 94, it has always been a one shot killer with properly placed shots. The advantage for me is in the rifle itself, the little Marlin 94 with the 16 inch ported barrel pictured above is not chambered in 30-30.

Al

• Thanks 1

There probably would be no real advantage between those two cartridges at the short ranges we are talking about in this thread, both are proven whitetail killers. I have never killed a Deer with a 30-30 but it has a long track record which I respect. The 44 mag I do have some experience with, mostly with handguns and some with this Marlin 94, it has always been a one shot killer with properly placed shots. The advantage for me is in the rifle itself, the little Marlin 94 with the 16 inch ported barrel pictured above is not chambered in 30-30.
Al

So I do have a 30-30 and love it… that being said I have the grand daddy to your 44mag I have a marlin 444… now that gal puts me down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Chef said:

So I do have a 30-30 and love it… that being said I have the grand daddy to your 44mag I have a marlin 444… now that gal puts me down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard good and bad things about them, but I am very eager to find out how the 30/30 does on a deer.  I have never been one to take somebody else’s word about something like that, always preferring to find out for myself.  

I would likely pass on a big 2.5 year old 6 pointer, around home over the next 4 days with my slug gun or crossbow, just so I can have a chance at a 1.5 year old spike next weekend up in the mountains with a 30/30.  

Edited by wolc123

On 11/23/2021 at 7:37 PM, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Brought rifle to gun smith today he took it out shot it said loaded good ejected good. Said could be ammo. Said gun was warm could have been cold. Told me I probably wasn't meant to kill that buck. I laughed said maybe. He said bring it in after season and he'll do a in-depth cleaning. So will do that looked at rifles on shelf not very many and no rifle ammo.

Sometimes its just not their time. I have had a click on a doe  using my Savage axis which is a proven killer and thought bad primer or light strike.

Anyways back at the range, same cartridge out of the Axis and it went bang :( 

• Like 1

I always found that guys have some personal attachment for the type and caliber rifle they hunted with.

Hell we all know most Centerfire rifle cartridges will kill a whitetail deer. And any style action will get the job done. 

I always was a Remington auto guy and loved the 30-06 cartridge. But after reading all the Benoit’s books and watching all their videos I switched to the pumps. And now I shoot the 35 Whelen quite a bit followed by the 35 Remington. 

In my deer camp guys use pumps, bolts, auto’s, and levers. And I’ve seen deer killed with 223, 243, 7mm-08, 270, 270 WSM, 7mm mag, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 300 Win mag, 35 Rem, 35 Whelen, and some I probably forgot. They all died. Some faster than others. Only deer we ever lost was with a black powder once and a Xbow once. 

Pick one and shoot the shit out of it.

Happy Thanksgiving and happy hunting.

• Like 1