Beaver trapping

rachunter

I have a little pond on the back of my property that sometimes gets beaver in it. I really wouldn't mind them back there except there knocking a lot of trees down.I spent a few hours cutting and hauling a 30 foot ash out and still have three more to cut up.I need to get rid of these SOB'S I looked around town today for a 330 conibear trap couldn't find any.I have everything to set up a drowning set,but only have mb550's will they work??? 

An MB-550 is too small for a beaver unless you catch him good in the front foot.  Not sure where you are but I could lend you a couple beaver traps.

Thanks for the offer I’m up in the ADK’s. I’m going to buy the traps I’ll probably have to deal with those beaver as long as I’m here. There where a few different styles of mb750’s which would you recommend. Also any recommendations on the coni’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, dinorocks said:

I use closed jaw MB-750 for beaver.  Regarding the body trap, all work good although I do not care for the Bridger (the spring eyes are too small making it harder to set by hand and the flat safety latches are a pain to deal with).

good luck!

Thank you!!

I ordered two MB750's with setters and two Belisle #330 i already have setters for them.

If you'd like to get into trapping, just get an account on TrapperMan. They will help you with whatever you need. My name there is NYHuntFish, hit me up if you want.

UPDATE: I just saw this forum had a trapping section too. Whatever works. I did not know that. Interesting.

Edited by NYHuntFish
  • Thanks 1

Many things I could add here but on safety: 1.) Do not mess around with the 330. Getting trapping license will help everything 2.) Practice the rope method and toss your setters aside for a second, it would save your life if you needed it as you could get out of them one-handed or even no-handed if you had to. Thicker poly cord the best. 

Many things I could add here but on safety: 1.) Do not mess around with the 330. Getting trapping license will help everything 2.) Practice the rope method and toss your setters aside for a second, it would save your life if you needed it as you could get out of them one-handed or even no-handed if you had to. Thicker poly cord the best. 

I’ll look it up on YouTube and give it a try with my 160. I also have a coni lock that works pretty good.
I’ve been on trapperrman a few times never noticed the forum section thanks

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

I took a walk down to my pond and snapped a few pictures of where there coming on my property. The den is on the other side and it’s a little rough to get too.
c8a6cc518bd2a1b3266d2015566ac1b3.jpg
I’m thinking conibear here?
ad2e26fb6c755d9e82d0aff3c07e82df.jpg
And both drowning sets here?

Problem with that is the ice .open water it would be fine .and feeder dens around ?

40 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Ya i was just reading hardwater is not good,I see a den on the other side that they covered with new branches could that be one?

Yea but if it’s the house you have to be 15ft from it .So make sure you’re at the appropriate distance .Try to find a shallow area where they may be traveling from one place to another ,block it down and force them through the 330 .Hard to help without seeing what you have .

17 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

Yea but if it’s the house you have to be 15ft from it .So make sure you’re at the appropriate distance .Try to find a shallow area where they may be traveling from one place to another ,block it down and force them through the 330 .Hard to help without seeing what you have .

When I learned to trap 30-40 years ago it was all through the ice. We would find the runs by chopping holes through the ice and find the hard bottoms of the beaver "trails" vs the muck of the rest of the swamp.

I'm not sure how many 100s of beavers we trapped using this method. 

It was rough when the ice got thick . You were usually soaked with ice water by the time you got holes chopped through the ice with an ax..lol

28 minutes ago, ncountry said:

When I learned to trap 30-40 years ago it was all through the ice. We would find the runs by chopping holes through the ice and find the hard bottoms of the beaver "trails" vs the muck of the rest of the swamp.

I'm not sure how many 100s of beavers we trapped using this method. 

It was rough when the ice got thick . You were usually soaked with ice water by the time you got holes chopped through the ice with an ax..lol

That’s true beaver trapping LOL .I have used a chain saw to cut through ice .(used cooking oil for bar lube to not pollute water)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rachunter said:

I’ll look it up on YouTube and give it a try with my 160. I also have a coni lock that works pretty good.
I’ve been on trapperrman a few times never noticed the forum section thanks

Yes it's called "Trapper Talk"

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/1/page/1

Also for fun I run this Trapping news site:

https://www.TrappersReport.com

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rachunter said:

I took a walk down to my pond and snapped a few pictures of where there coming on my property. The den is on the other side and it’s a little rough to get too.
c8a6cc518bd2a1b3266d2015566ac1b3.jpg
I’m thinking conibear here?
ad2e26fb6c755d9e82d0aff3c07e82df.jpg
And both drowning sets here?

I would say if they're using that crawl-out then yes either type of set would work but I would prefer foothold there. Look for recently peeled sticks, look for "feed piles" which are often near the house, many things. The farther you stay away from the house the bigger beavers you'll get And the less you'll spook them. I was taught it's not about where they are, but knowing where they'll go.  

On Youtube I have gotten a lot of help from 330Maniac on 330 sets. There are a bunch of trapping channels I like at the bottom of https://www.TrappersReport.com .Tim Roper (MeatTrapper) also has an Excellent bunch of videos on beaver trapping (including the best butchering video I have ever seen, ever, anywhere, and it changed my life). Tim also has a podcast which is at Patreon and it is excellent in my opinion.

Edited by NYHuntFish