Beaver trapping

rachunter

10 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

But I mostly stayed dry :P

Lol. There is that.

I was was usually already wet. I never found a swamp I couldnt break through the ice into. Or for that matter a trap I couldn't get my hand and or fingers stuck in..

Lucky for me I always had a mentor/partner that would poke fun at me. I mean help me out. lol

On 11/23/2021 at 10:49 AM, rachunter said:

Thank you!!

I ordered two MB750's with setters and two Belisle #330 i already have setters for them.

The Belisle are the best made body grip traps on the market IMO. Give them the respect they deserve because they’re super strong and close tight. The only negative thing is that they don’t come with any cable or chains. Have fun and good luck.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Any of you guys use one of theses? I bought it for my 160’s but will it hold a 330 ? I don’t like having a false sense of security. My traps will be hear Monday so I’m getting everything together.
9cdd3d8f9fd96a37b33673f84adb711e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id have that lost instantly if I did have one lol .In 25 years I have killed a lot of things with connis,knock on wood  I have not got myself yet with a 330.I have with a 160 though .

to answer your ?,yes they work in 330s.careful with the belisles,they are nasty .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Thanks 1

I got the traps Monday and made my way do to the creek that goes into the pond. It’s a lot wider the I remember but I found this tree laying across the creek that they’ve been feeding on. I’m not sure how well I did but I blocked off the area and left them no other way to get through except where the trap is. Hopefully it works out.
I have to say that was as fun as it gets. Waders and longer gloves going on my list of things to bring. My boots where filled with ice water by the time I got done.
Here’s a few pics of the set up:
09d3cba529e67ebd6160954cd2b1d2d6.jpg
61870636024eb88981cb35deb331f261.jpg
561ccbd07aab5663ef2485366802a3f9.jpg

• Like 3

I’m expecting a dead beaver tmrw .

Got one!!!!
It’s a small, should I let that spot rest or reset?
I thought it knocked the trap over until I pulled it out of the water surprised is an understatement.
Thanks to you and everyone else that gave me advice
d61a6b4cc1d62c9641bfe86ad07ebc28.jpg
8616899115d2544355efc9f9bf97e7a3.jpg

• Like 12

54 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Got one!!!!
It’s a small, should I let that spot rest or reset?
I thought it knocked the trap over until I pulled it out of the water surprised is an understatement.
Thanks to you and everyone else that gave me advice emoji106.png
d61a6b4cc1d62c9641bfe86ad07ebc28.jpg
8616899115d2544355efc9f9bf97e7a3.jpg

Super pumped for ya !!like jay said ,reset !you may be in a otter zone also right ?keep that set as otter will pass through also .Some times it takes a bit long for them so stay patient .

• Like 1

Roll it in the snow ,it will soak up the water off it .And ,the work is just beginning LOL .What’s you plans for it ?

I’m keeping this one it small enough for my hunting room and I’ll keep the skull too. I already know there good eating so into the pot he goes. Thanks again for the tips

• Like 1

I wasn't so successful skinning and butchering as I was catching him. It turned into a mess real fast I'm not sure if it was because it was small[11lbs.] or they just have thin flesh.I did ok with the skin but the carcass looked like swiss cheese, also it has a different anatomy of any animal i've ever butchered.I wasn't expecting it to come out perfect,but expected the fur not the meat to have more damage.I'm going to hit youtube tonight and go over the skinning videos again.

I got a bigger one today and did a much better job at skinning and butchering it. I did screw up the on the nose and whiskers.
910e0c41bcf28101dd2ab4217becb30b.jpg

Just a few questions the guy on YouTube washes his fur before fleshing it. I don’t have that option. Would a bucket of water or the creek be good enough?
I tried to get the casters out but I’m not sure if I did it right and I couldn’t find the oil gland some of them where taking out.
b4b1d2adf48970bebcb66ba0e400dc95.jpg
Sorry if that’s to much for some of you, but I want to learn how to do this right.
How many of beaver do these dens hold on average?
I have to admit I wasn’t really ready for this, but I’m really enjoying it.

• Like 7