Large Number of Violations/Citations within large county park

phade

I don't see anything about it online, but I guess the DEC/MCS issued violations to 19 people in some sort of semi-organized ring that was doing illegal hunting in and around Mendon Ponds Park here in Monroe County.

Some of the cases are being shifted to nearby districts because the judge in the original area knows some of the alleged offenders. Sounds like they were hunting in the park, around the edges and doing so at night sometimes via spotlighting, and had been a ring that was going on for a few years...supposedly.

What is weird is that nothing appears online about it. You'd think that this would be more public on a blotter page or something. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Sad and gives us all a bad name

I knew a guy that would brag about the big deer he would pull off the woods around the RIT campus.  It's posted tighter than a drum and there are monsters in there.  He was offended when I told him how un-cool that was with me.  Are you going to hunt grave yards and road hunt too?   He finally got caught by security.  Not sure if DEC got involved but he wasn't so loud mouth after that.

My wife grew up on an apple farm in Williamson, NY.  The little rag newspaper out there was the Williamson Sun.   The highlight of the paper was the blotter.  If you lived anywhere around there and got caught doing anything of merit, you ended up on that blotter.  It was the "go to" pages and very likely the main reason anyone bought the paper.  I'll admit, I read it and there well some head scratching beauties in there.

I made sure I never did anything in Williamson.    Well, I made sure I never got caught :rolleyes:

On 11/23/2021 at 8:40 AM, phade said:

I don't see anything about it online, but I guess the DEC/MCS issued violations to 19 people in some sort of semi-organized ring that was doing illegal hunting in and around Mendon Ponds Park here in Monroe County.

Some of the cases are being shifted to nearby districts because the judge in the original area knows some of the alleged offenders. Sounds like they were hunting in the park, around the edges and doing so at night sometimes via spotlighting, and had been a ring that was going on for a few years...supposedly.

What is weird is that nothing appears online about it. You'd think that this would be more public on a blotter page or something. 

So we usually shed hunt throughout the park. I have found 12ga bird shot spent shells and a crossbow bolt and broadhead. I have heard rumors of poaching like 3-4 yrs ago. So id guess its been going on for years. 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Zag said:

So we usually shed hunt throughout the park. I have found 12ga bird shot spent shells and a crossbow bolt and broadhead. I have heard rumors of poaching like 3-4 yrs ago. So id guess its been going on for years. 

Shed hunters there have a bad rap. I lost more cams to shed hunters there than I have in nearly any other situation. I lost on average one/year. I barely missed one, one year, because I could still recognize the branding logo of the boot imprint in the snow. Dang guy stole my Browning. Shed hunters have no fear there of crossing over onto private from the park, even when well posted. They would walk hundreds of yards past them lines too in some cases. I started pulling cams there as the season wound down due to the theft. I guess there is one good thing about not hunting along that place any longer, lol.

16 minutes ago, phade said:

Shed hunters there have a bad rap. I lost more cams to shed hunters there than I have in nearly any other situation. I lost on average one/year. I barely missed one, one year, because I could still recognize the branding logo of the boot imprint in the snow. Dang guy stole my Browning. Shed hunters have no fear there of crossing over onto private from the park, even when well posted. They would walk hundreds of yards past them lines too in some cases. I started pulling cams there as the season wound down due to the theft. I guess there is one good thing about not hunting along that place any longer, lol.

I always heard that was a big shed hunting spot but never seem to see anyone off the trails like me. We usually hit the spot across from the kennel, and along clover street. My son found his first shed down behind the sheriffs horse barns. 
My son also found a nice buck, dead all tucked in a downed tree one jan or feb, well hidden and seemed kinda odd but who knows. 
Also baffling if its true that it’s not all over the news, anti’s would be all over it, maybe because its not covid or politics they dont care. 

52 minutes ago, Zag said:

I always heard that was a big shed hunting spot but never seem to see anyone off the trails like me. We usually hit the spot across from the kennel, and along clover street. My son found his first shed down behind the sheriffs horse barns. 
My son also found a nice buck, dead all tucked in a downed tree one jan or feb, well hidden and seemed kinda odd but who knows. 
Also baffling if its true that it’s not all over the news, anti’s would be all over it, maybe because its not covid or politics they dont care. 

Its definitely true. I don't know anything about the case/people but have awareness to the bureaucratic details if you will. 

1 minute ago, phade said:

Its definitely true. I don't know anything about the case/people but have awareness to the bureaucratic details if you will. 

I don’t doubt it. I grew up right around the corner from it. As a teenager I would drive thur there shining my headlights all over. Saw some ridiculous big bucks. I’ll have to ask around 

59 minutes ago, grampy said:

Is this the park where I hunted with you and moog?

After my buddy shot a nice deer, we drove through the park at dark on our way to Culver's to cut it up. The deer we saw driving through there was insane.

Yes that is the park in reference there

• Like 1

Thats why they need to make poaching a mandatory fine and loss of license.  Nothing that can be pleaded down. $1000.00 starting and make the fine bigger for every inch of antler. 

Same thing with poaching  fish, snagging, over the limits. No license  should be 4 or 5 times the cost of a licence.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Thats why they need to make poaching a mandatory fine and loss of license.  Nothing that can be pleaded down. $1000.00 starting and make the fine bigger for every inch of antler. 

Same thing with poaching  fish, snagging, over the limits. No license  should be 4 or 5 times the cost of a licence.

^^^ This. Add 30 days in county to that as well. If there were stiffer fines for this crap less people would do it.

10 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Wonder if this Large Ring of Poachers took out a Bunch of Spring Gobblers as Well.

It's certainly possible , maybe the deer killings were to throw the authorities off their trail and look for deer hunters and not turkey guys . I could see that happening. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

It's certainly possible , maybe the deer killings were to throw the authorities off their trail and look for deer hunters and not turkey guys . I could see that happening. 

:blink:

You do know it's the Mexican Cartel poaching all the turkeys right? Everyone thinks it's predation by other critters but........ Just like aliens and bigfoot, the truth is out there.

• Haha 2

There was a tread on here last year , with a picture of number of dead deer, staged near the park,perhaps for pick up .

I’ll Text a friend about this years deal, he’s a Deputy who patrols the park on horse ,sweet gig .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 8:40 AM, phade said:

Any update on this case?  If it was as egregious as it sounds, I'd like to think it would be made public as a deterrent. 

5 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Any update on this case?  If it was as egregious as it sounds, I'd like to think it would be made public as a deterrent. 

I haven't asked since the info was brought up to me. I don't know what timelines they were working on either.