Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

Did my last sit this afternoon in Honeoye Falls . Didn't see anything . Gotta get busy putting my hunting stuff away . All in all , it was an okay season . 

Almost forgot . It was quite windy and at one point the wind blew hard enough that it popped one of the hubs and almost knocked my ML out of my hands . It really startled me !

• 10 months later...

Another exciting day in the Great Outdoors . Saw 3 doe next to the road bu a corn field at 6am today . They were less than a half mile from where I parked . Met my 2 sons that hunt and we headed for the woods . Sat until 11 and decided we had enough . I saw 2 doe in the thickets where I was sitting . My oldest son saw 6 turkeys where he was . It was wet and muddy back in the woods and it sprinkled a couple times . I was able to stay reasonably warm in the damp 40 degree weather . We discussed doing an afternoon hunt this coming week . At least I got out . When I got home , I looked at my Cuddeback emails and saw where 2 or 3 doe were in the north west corner of the woods where we have a gun stand . They would have been too far for a bow shot . I have had lots of deer pictures on my other trail on the property . Lots of tracks . Both sons are meticulous about scent control  . The deer just aren't cooperating . 

Third time is a charm . Pretty much , due to my age , I don't go out unless one of my sons are with me . So today was my 3rd time out with the bow . My youngest son and I did an afternoon hunt . I was in my stand in the thickets by 1:45 . Can't see into the neighbor's field but I have had action on my trail cam in that area . It gets boring after a while of seeing nothing . At 4:45 I spotted a buck coming through the thick area heading for the field . I drew my bow and when the buck hit the opening , I hit the release . The buck took off like a rocket . I didn't wait and got down to see if I could see it running through the soy bean field . Nothing . I had left my bow , backpack , etc in the tree stand . I saw a few specks of blood and started looking for more . I called the neighbor who owns the field and left him a voice message . I lost the blood trail that was specks on the soy beans and back tracked . I cut up a hanky and marked the soy beans . It took me a half hour to find the deer . It was a 7 point buck . Not a big rack but a nice size deer . No shut-out during bow season this year for this 80 year old fart . 

I'm trying to get the picture I emailed from my phone to myself of the buck laying in the field so I can post it but it still hasn't come through . Took a couple pics of the deer in my sons driveway when I dropped it off .

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

• Like 13

15 hours ago, Fletch said:

Way to go Eddie!! Congratz on the nice buck! He's got a cool rack.

Thanks . Not a big wide rack but happy with what I was able to shoot . The big boys show up on camera at Zero Dark 30 . Maybe they will come out in daylight during gun season . 

Got to the Geneseo hunting property around 6:15 today . Unloaded the ATV and dropped my youngest son off at his stand and then headed for mine . Got my gear on and was in the stand by 6:45 . Sat back and chilled . It was ccccccold . Nothing like holding a cold piece of metal ( X-Bow ) in 28 degree weather . Around 8:30 I could barely see a doe through the thick area about 10 yards away . She had come in from behind and apparently winded me and took off . She blew while running through the thickets . At 9:50 I had a doe come in from the bean field . She knew I was there and played the bob the head game for a couple minutes and left . I didn't shoot as she was facing me and didn't turn until she went back to the field . Later a fox came through and exited to the field . I saw another 3 deer run across the field . People refer to the area as "The Bottoms" . The water doesn't drain off the land and it is real squishy / slippery walking . 

My youngest son said he saw a total of 8 doe and 2 nice bucks . Too far to shoot with his compound . We quit at 11:30 and headed home . 

• Like 1

Sat in a ground blind in Honeoye Falls this am . Spooked a doe on the way in . Was in the blind by 6:15 . Around 7:15 a Spike came within 10 yards of the blind . He had at least 6-7 inch spikes . I couldn't shoot as I had already gotten a buck during bow season . Later I saw a doe with a fawn . Quit at 10 am . The weather was nice . Might go to Geneseo Saturday and do a morning hunt . My SIL wants posted signs put up on the West side of her as someone bought that property and has a tendency to infringe on properties .

15 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

The New Land owner has itchy feet on bordering Lands?

The person that mentioned that is the farmer who leases my SIL's property and the adjacent property that was just purchased . Not sue if he is blowing smoke but he has her nervous . It could be BS but I will do what I have to to be able to continue hunting her property .

• Like 1

I was dressed and almost ready to leave for Geneseo when my son called and cancelled . Accu Weather shows rain a good part of the morning . No sense in getting soaked . I don't mind a light rain but not a soaker . Weather Bug doesn't show rain . I don't want to drive 50 miles to find out .

On the way to our hunting area , I saw 3 doe by the roadside waiting to cross over and go to the huge corn field . I bet there are a lot of deer bedded down in that field . I hope the farmer cuts it soon so the deer will move .

Sat in a chair at the base of the tree where my stand is and where I shot a buck last month . Saw 3 doe at different times traveling in the neighbor's field . I was seated at 6:10 am and stayed until 11:00 . Pulled a few SD cards from some cameras . My oldest son saw a few deer in that field also . Matt stayed the day and Nick joined him for an afternoon hunt . I went home .

Sat on a 5 acre property in Honeoye Falls this am . Was in the blind by 6:15 and stayed until 11:15 . Never saw a thing . Neither did my son . 3 years using the X-bow and still haven't gotten a shot with it on a deer . I put it away when I got home and I am getting ready for the Saturday Gun Opener . 

I was in my Pond Blind Stand by 6:10 this am . About 8:30 5 doe ran down through the big field . Too much brush in the way for a shot . My 2 sons were in the woods . My oldest son shot a doe around 9:30 . In the afternoon , my son spotted a trespasser and let me know he was wandering in the woods . About an hour later I spotted the guy and called to him . He came up to my stand and I realized it was the next door neighbor . We exchanged pleasantries and he left . I told him that when he came through the thickets that he kicked out a doe it it was hauling butt . I got down at 5pm and headed back to my car . Waited for my sons to get up to where we parked and we chatted for a bit and I left . Did I mention that it was ccccold !

• Like 1

The field to the left in the picture belongs to a neighbor and I don't have permission to shoot out there . Between 3:45 and 4:45 I saw 6 deer in the field . 5 were definitely antler less . Not sure about the 6th one . Around 4:30 my youngest son shot at a doe . Thought he hit her but wasn't going to get down until 5pm . At about 5pm , I packed up my gear and waited by my ATV . Nick didn't spot any blood so I drove the quarter mile to where he was and helped look . Nothing . No blood , no deer . I think he is going back in the am to look some more . 

My 2 sons , grandson and I are going to do a morning hunt tomorrow . Depending on the wind I am considering using my Ruger Super Red Hawk 44mag with open sights from one of my bow stands . I had a Leopold 2X scope on the pistol but couldn't get on a deer at close range so I took it off . Maybe I will change my mind about the pistol . Not sure .

• Like 2

What a long day . Two of my sons and a grandson met at the property in Geneseo . I was in my stand by 6:15 . Around 7:25 i heard 3 shots . I waited a few minutes and the called my youngest son who was 1/4 mile away . He said he dropped a doe and took 2 shots at a buck . Later he reported that he had gotten both . Nick was using his Savage 220 slug gun . Suggested he get them loaded at his car and head home . Since my other son , grandson and I hadn't seen anything , we decided to leave . I was disappointed that I didn't get a shot with my 44 mag pistol .

Went to my oldest sons house for dinner . Had a great meal . I ate more marinated backstraps than turkey . All in all , it was a good day .

Nick's deer

Nicks buck 2021-11-25.jpeg

202111-25 Nicks deer2.jpeg2.jpg

• Like 12

Went to Geneseo this afternoon . I set up my Ameristep Caretaker blind and sat . Wasn't seeing anything . Bored .... Legal quitting time was 5:09 pm . I had to pee real bad and closed up the Hub Blind at 4:35 . At 4:45 , I saw a doe coming my way . She was between me and my SIL's house so I couldn't shoot . More than a good thing as I grabbed my rifle by the scope and felt something loose . The scope rail is held on by 3 set screws . Two of them were loose . Can't use the rifle until I re-sight it . I will take my Savage 220 slug gun for tomorrow afternoon .

My youngest son bought a used trailer to haul his ATV . He drove from Honeoye with the trailer to pick up his ATV Sunday . He left the hunting property in Geneseo , got about 1 1/2 miles away and blew a tire . No spare . I told him to drive the ATV back to the property and see if my SIL would bring him back to his car . He drove the trailer back to the property and stashed it . He ordered 2 tires ( 4.80-12 ) and should get them this Friday . While I was there today my oldest son and I were able to free up the lug nuts on the bad tire side . Tomorrow we will try the other tire . I am thankful that my son didn't get half way home and get the flat tire . 

• Like 3