Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

Oct 1 - Opening day . I spent a total of 9 hours in my Tri-Pod stand on my oldest son's property in Honeoye Falls . Didn't see a thing excepy for a farmer's cat patrolling the property . At the end of a long day my son told me that they hadn't been seeing many deer out back in the past few weeks . What the heck ! I could have choked him . Anyway , I got opening day out of my system .

• Like 2

Oct 3 - My oldest son and I met at my SIL's property in Geneseo . I took my ATV and we hunted about 700 yards from each other . I saw absolutely nothing all morning . Matt had 3 small deer in front of his Truck . They were about 25 yards from his stand . He thought about shooting but backed off . He hunts with a recurve bow . He also saw a  doe later in the am . Took a break at 11 and went back to the stands at 1 pm . I moved to a different stand . The farmer started combining the soy beans in the field next door . Around 4 , Matt did a stalk hunt and I stayed put . Around 4:30 I saw a spike buck about 400 yards away in the gully lot and after a few minutes , it disappeared . The farmer finished the neighbor's field and came over to my SIL's field so we left around 5:30 . So far , so bad !

• Like 1

The front end of my son's truck was 20 yards from his tree stand . The 3 deer in the picture were about 5 yards ahead of the truck . He said they were small and probably fawns . There is a trail through the hedge row at the end of my SIL's horse manure dump . Trucks are like deer magnets . 

Truck Magnet.jpg

• Like 7

Oct 9 -- Another exciting day in the Great Outdoors . I was in my stand in the thickets by 6:30 . Sat back and relaxed . Legal shooting time was 7:18 . Didn't see a thing . It was so quiet .... even the BlueJays weren't making any noise . Talked to my son who was in a stand in another thick area near the gulley lot . All he saw was a lone doe about 60 yards out in the field . We quit around 10:30 as it was getting to warm to hunt . Since I was in Geneseo , I drove to my sister's house and visited so the day wasn't a total waste ! 

• Like 3

I normally don't believe in hunting Sundays . I hold it sacred . That's time to watch the Bills Football . Since they are rescheduled to play Tuesday night I think I will go out tomorrow afternoon and try my luck at my friend's property in Walworth . Looks like it is going to be cooler Sunday afternoon .

• Like 2

Sat in one of my stands at my friend's swamp woods in Walworth from 2:30 to 6:30 . Didn't see any deer . Once the sun started going down , it got dark in the woods but still light over the dry swamp . It was dark driving on the way home and about 1/4 mile from Lincoln road and Plank road there was a doe standing about 5 yards off the highway . Don't they know that they are supposed to be in the woods !

• Like 1

Going to give Geneseo another try tomorrow . I plan to use my stand near a creek that runs out of a gully . I will have to use my back-up bow as I kinda screwed up my regular Ben Pearson bow . My back-up is a 70# Parker bow . 

I felt the bottom wheel on the Ben Pearson TX4 and felt a sharp edge . I must have hit something with it . The wheel is aluminum and I can see where it dented over onto the cable a little bit . I could probably shoot the bow but think the dented spot could fray the cable . The only way to fix it would be to loosen the limbs , press the limbs to put slack in the cable and make the fix . I think I am better off using the backup bow . I put 30 shots through my back-up 70# Parker Phoenix EZ Draw and hope I am all set to go in the am . 

• Like 1

Oct 17 --- No shot today but it still was an interesting day . I was in my Geneseo stand by a creek by 6:30 this morning . It was cccccold . Saw a doe and fawn at 7:23 and they stayed on the other side of the brush and left the area . At 10:30 , I had enough and walked up to my SILs barn . Talked to her for a few minutes and left to visit my older sister on Reservoir road . I slowed down as I approached the 4 way stop on Reservoir & Lakeville Groveland roads . Some IDIOT in a semi blew right through the intersection . Went back to my SILs property and tried to take a nap . Not much luck . Got in my stand over looking the previous bean field where the farmer had planted winter wheat . At 2:30 I saw movement and got out my cheap binos . It was a fox crossing the field about 350 yards away . Then nothing for hours . Around 5:50 , I saw movement way down in the neighbor's field . Two deer and they disappeared . Then 3 came out of the laneway 200 yards away and crossed the field . They must have gotten the notice on Social Distancing as they stayed about 50 yards apart . A couple minutes later 4 more came out and crossed the field and then 2 more . Nothing with antlers and all over 200 yards away . So in a 25 minute span , I saw 11 deer . So , it wasn't all that bad of a day . 

• Like 6

Went to my friend's property in Walworth . Was in my ladder stand by 6:40 . Around 7:15 there was a slight sprinkle . Around 8 , it picked up and stayed steady . I was pretty much soaked and gave up at 9:45 . My boonie had felt like it weighed 10 pounds . I took it off a nd put on my cap . Never saw any deer and had great visability . Took off my gear at the car and realized my boonie hat was missing . Backtracked but never found it . Went through all my gear with no luck . Gotta dry out the hunting clothes . Saturday , I will go to Geneseo again . 

• Like 1

Went to Geneseo to give it a try . It was misty early in the am . Was in my stand by 6:40 . Cold and breezy . Never saw a thing all day . My son , Nick , was in a stand a couple hundred yards from me in a woodsy area with cat tails . He had a spike go by him at 15 yards and never drew on it . Waiting for the Big Guy . Anyway , around noon , Nick went to the woods and sat . I had gotten down and did a little stalk just to warm up . Got back in the stand and sat some more . Nick called me around 3:30 and said he ached all over so we packed it up and left .

The high light of the day was meeting Culvercreek Hunt Club . I stopped by to purchase a winning lottery ticket . :rolleyes:

It sucks to be me . Went to Geneseo . Trimmed a couple of spots for potential blinds . Went back to my car and put on my camo gear and headed for a stand in the willow tree near the pond . Sat from 3 - 6 pm . Saw a doe and later a buck at a distance . No shot . It was cold and I was glad when the day ended . 

Went to Geneseo this am and hunted with my youngest son , Nick . We saw 2 doe cross the laneway as we headed to the woods on my ATV . It was cold but we were dressed for the weather . At 8:50 i had a doe cross my area at about 45 - 50 yards and that was it for me . Nick had a doe and a fawn just south of him and he said he thought he spooked the doe . Later he saw a buck about 100 yards north of him and later another buck or possibly the same one . Around noon , I had to go up to my car . Nick said when I started up the ATV he saw 2 doe north of him cross the woods to my side . So together we saw 6 doe , 1 fawn and 2 bucks . When I was at the car I grabbed a soft Fruit Bar to munch on . I felt something in my mouth and a tooth had broken off - on a soft fruit bar . Bad day for me ! If it wasn't for Bad Luck , I wouldn't have any luck .

Came close to getting a shot this am but it wasn't meant to be . Heard a doe give a warning yelp around 8 am . Just caught a glimpse of her in the thickets . Around 9:20 an 8 point approached from down wind and knew where I was sitting . It looked right up at me and I stayed froze . As it passed a small clump of trees , I started to draw . It looked up and took off but stopped out of my sight but enough to pose for the trail camera . Took a break around 11 and did some trimming at another stand . I set up a double chair blind and left it there . After checking the latest pics from my cam in that area , I may not use that spot Saturday . Was back in the stand at 1:30 and stayed until 4:30 . Saw a doe at 4:20 in the neighbors field . On the way home I could make out 5 deer in a harvested corn field . 

Picture of the Buck I spooked . 

MFDC1036.JPG

• Like 2

Hunted at Geneseo this am with my youngest son for 3 hours with the crossbow . Saw a buck and 2 doe . No shot . Spent the rest of the morning and part of the afternoon putting up more tree stands and doing a lot of trimming to have them ready for gun season . 

I saw 5 dead deer while traveling north on Route 390 between Lakeville Exit 9 and Henrietta ..

38 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Hunted at Geneseo this am with my youngest son for 3 hours with the crossbow . Saw a buck and 2 doe . No shot . Spent the rest of the morning and part of the afternoon putting up more tree stands and doing a lot of trimming to have them ready for gun season . 

I was about 7 miles West of Geneseeo for the evening sit and I saw the same. Maybe they were related.  One medium sized doe just prior to sunset, and a big doe and a 2.5 year old buck just after.  All were well out of crossbow range, even if I had brought my new one. 

They were at 80 yards, and my old Barnett Recruit is only good to about 40 yards in its current condition. I had planned on sitting in my popup blind, but my brother in law let me use his tree stand.  I was wishing for my new CP sniper 370, but that still would not have had enough range for that first doe tonight.

Edited by wolc123

Tried Geneseo again . Sat in the woods in my double chair blind in the morning . Saw 3 different bucks , 1 doe and 2 that I couldn't tell if they were buck or doe . All this between 8 and 10 am . Saw them through the thick brush . Took a break and moved my car & trailer . Placed the chair blind in a different spot overlooking the crop field . Had a spike go by at 5 yards. Was tempted but he was so close and moving fast that I couldn't get a bead on him . Shortly after 4 , I saw a doe in the winter wheat field eating . Watched her for about 15 minutes . She came in from a couple hundred yards and I thought she was going to offer a shot but she spotted the camo double chair blind and went into the gulley lot . I packed it up at 4:30 and headed home . I saw over a dozen deer while driving on lima Road . No shot but at least I saw some deer . The farmer 2 fields East of my SIL's woods started combining the corn around 2 pm . That should change the deer travel .

• Like 2

Got up at 3:30 and had one of my headaches but decided to go out anyway as my youngest son , nick , was going to be there in Geneseo . I took a stand by the creek and didn't see anything . Nick was over 700 yards away in a willow tree stand . He texted me around 9 that he had just shot a doe with his Matthews compound and had a pass through . He sent a picture of his arrow - red from tip to nock . He waited a few minutes and found his doe laying in the adjacent winter wheat field . He field dressed it and put in on one of my old sleds that I had left there . In the mean time I had moved to the laneway and sat in a chair where 2 field meet the laneway . I told Nick to start pulling the sled and he might kick something to me . Didn't happen . We grabbed our gear and pulled the sled up to his car about 1/2 mile away . I am too old for this crap . I brought my car over and had a small tarp in the back end . We laid the tarp in the Hitch Basket Carrier then loaded the doe in the basket . Covered the doe and strapped her in . I followed his car for a mile to make sure the carrier looked okay and it stayed pretty level . Nick said he saw 2 bucks and 9 doe . He was pleased at seeing so many deer and got one of them . I still had a bad headache and headed home . 

Nick's Doe thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

• Like 1

Skunked during bow season . Sat in a stand in Geneseo from 6:30 until almost noon . I saw nothing and my son , Nick only saw a doe . It was windy and some of those gusts really shook the trees . I ended up with a stiff neck and a headache from sitting in the wind for 5 1/2 hours . We called it quits . It had warmed up considerably but was still windy . We didn't hunt the woods because we didn't want to screw it up for the Saturday gun opener .  Can't get the deer to cooperate ! 

Was very optimistic about the opener only to have another crappy day . Sat in a new stand that was on a horse trail . Would be able to shoot 70 yards at the most . Thickets on both sides of the trail . Saw nothing . !st shot I heard was just before 7am . Youngest son Nick said he shot at a doe and said he was getting down at 9 to check for blood . Said it ran across woods headed my way . He didn't find any blood . I was bored . Got out of my stand and walked the horse trail about 60 yards . Looked in the woods and saw the white of the doe's belly and let Nick know where it was . Got back in the stand until noon . Changed stands and sat in one facing north . All I saw was a group of 12 turkeys and later 4 more . No deer . Heard several shots in the am and several after 4pm . Will go back Monday . I don't hunt 2 days in a row . My back can't take it . 

Finally broke the jinx ! He shoots - He scores ! I Was in a double stand where my oldest son shot 2 deer yesterday am . Nothing ! Wasn't hearing any shots except a couple that sounded like they were in Avon a ways away . It was cold and windy . I was ready to leave at noon but stuck it out . I asked my youngest son Nick if he wanted to leave at 4 and he said why not 4:30 . Okay .At 3:45 , I saw a doe at almost 100 yards North of me and then 3 more followed . The larger doe came to an opening in the brush . I shot and she took off like a rocket . The other 3 doe just stood there and when one hit the opening , I shot again with my NEF 25-06 . All 3 took off and I thought , oh crap . I got down and checked for blood . Didn't see any and walked in the direction of where the 1st deer ran . Saw her big white belly         and called Nick . Then I walked in the direction that the 2nd deer ran and found her . Nick came over to field dress the 2 while I went to the ATV and up to where I parked the Subi to get the Jet Sled . It was now dark and hard to maneuver the ATV through the downed trees and limbs but got it done . Dropped the deer off at my oldest son's residence for him to process . What a day !

2020 11-23 Ed's double.JPG

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I woke up at 12:30 this am and had excruciating pain in both thighs . No matter what I did the pain wouldn't go away . Had a hard time sitting up and just as bad standing . Worst pain I can ever remember having . Hobbled down stairs and got in the LazyBoy chair . Was able to get some sleep . Not sure the cause . Could have been dehydration  I only had 16 ounces of water before leaving the house at 4:30 but drank another 56 ounces between 6:30 and 11 pm . The cause could have been from dragging the 2 deer a pretty good distance and using leg muscles that I normally don't use  So I decided to recuperate and not go out again until Saturday . 

Has anyone experienced this during hunting season ?