Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

Congratz on the good looking venison! I tend to get some good Charlie horses and cramps after overdoing a deer drag or two. This year not so bad. I think the 4 months of PT after my ACL replacement had the legs ready. I also tend to get cramped up in some of the uncomfortable stands. I got to remember to stand and stretch once in a while. Hope you back to feeling good quickly!

On 11/24/2020 at 7:37 PM, fasteddie said:

I woke up at 12:30 this am and had excruciating pain in both thighs . No matter what I did the pain wouldn't go away . Had a hard time sitting up and just as bad standing . Worst pain I can ever remember having . Hobbled down stairs and got in the LazyBoy chair . Was able to get some sleep . Not sure the cause . Could have been dehydration  I only had 16 ounces of water before leaving the house at 4:30 but drank another 56 ounces between 6:30 and 11 pm . The cause could have been from dragging the 2 deer a pretty good distance and using leg muscles that I normally don't use  So I decided to recuperate and not go out again until Saturday . 

Has anyone experienced this during hunting season ? 

I have gotten cramps, thigh and calves for 30 yrs.I keep a bottle of tonic water next to the bed, works every time.Yellow mustard ,spoonful will usually work also.

• Like 1

Hunted Geneseo today with 2 of my sons . We were in stands by 6am . Only 1 hour and 20 minutes before legal time . We figured if we spooked any deer , hunters coming into adjacent properties later would kick them back . Heard the 1st shot at 7:01 and another 5 distant shots stretched out over the next 5 hours . We stayed until 4:30 and had enough of not seeing any deer . There was probably about a dozen or so shots in the afternoon but nothing close by . Had 12 hen turkeys go past my stand within 5 yards around 4:15 . It was a bit nippy with the wind blowing . 

• Like 1

Was in my elevated box blind stand at the pond in Geneseo by 6:30 this am . Youngest son Nick got a call and had to leave at 9:15 . Matt and I stayed until 4pm and gave up . Before we left , Matt walked the thickets to see if he could push anything to me . Nothing came out . None of us saw any deer . Heard a random shot in the distance a few times during the day but not many . 

Just now, fasteddie said:

It's time to try my spot in Walworth . Better to drive 10 miles and see nothing versus driving 50 miles and seeing zilch . It's forecasted to be 24 degrees with a real feel of 17 degrees so I don't know how long I can hold out . Time will tell . 

I gotta say Eddie, your Geneseo spot seems to disappoint you just about every time. Why not go in with your boys and lease something somewhere with some better deer numbers. Just my 2 cents!

We have taken 8 deer off of the Geneseo spot so far this year . Haven't heard anything from the guys that lease the property west of us . I don't see the gun hunter numbers in the area like there use to be . Had some big bucks on camera but haven't seen them in daylight hours .

I had a 8H permit signed over to me as I shot 2 doe November 23 and used my 2 tags . I have 2 tags for 8F and 1 for 8H that was signed over to me .  

Geez, maybe I’m missing something but it seems like many of your posts you spent most of not all day hunting and not seeing anything. I guess the spots better than you lead us to believe.

Edited by Zag

I told my oldest son that I think we are over hunting the woods and I won't go back until Thursday . The deer have been traveling across the woods just north of the property we hunt . No doubt they are also hunkered down in the thickets south of our woods . There is almost 8 acres of thickets , etc ..

Was in a blind in Walworth by 6:45 this am . Sat until 11 am and gave up . Didn't see anything and it was cold . My friend's son was there yesterday as I had him on camera . Also , a trapper has been on the property to trap yotes , fox , raccoons , etc . So there has been a lot of human activity on the property . My friend showed me where the various traps are set . 

• Like 1

Thursday Dec 10 sit . Got to Geneseo Dark and Early to hunt with Matt . He headed for the woods . When I was read to head down , the ATV wouldn't start . Engine would turn over but wouldn't start . Matt said he would come back and get me but I said I had a double chair blind stashed and would sit on the south end of the wheat field . Around 9:30 I saw 2 doe at the far end of the field over 500 yards away . Matt had what he called 5 fawns running across the woods north of him . He said all 5 looked small . I wonder if they group together when their mothers get killed . Later in the am he saw a couple more doe and holding out for a buck . Around noon I walked down to the pond blind and sat until sunset . Neither of us saw anything in the afternoon . Only heard one shot all day . Hunters are not out during the week like they use to be . On the way home , I stopped at Auto Zone and picked up a spark plug for the ATV .

Got the ATV off the trailer and into the garage . Pulled a couple panels off and changed the spark plug . It fired right up . What a difference . I had previously changed the plug Nov 6 , 2018 . For $3 , I might change it every year just to be safe . Going to do just a morning hunting / sit tomorrow .

• Like 3

Hunted Geneseo again with Nick & Matt . Nick shot a doe from our killer stand in the North West corner of the woods . I was in Nick's double stand about 250 yards south of him . The only thing I saw was a lone doe and 13 turkeys going back and forth across the woods . Matt was in the pond blind stand and saw nothing . Nick walked across the woods around 10:30 and then through the thickets to see if he could push anything to either Matt or me . Nothing . He came back with Matt's ATV & sled , picked up his deer and went home . I pulled some trail cam cards and met Matt at the pond blind . We did some trimming to get ready for Muzzle Loader season . Left for home around 1 pm . It was just starting to sprinkle . 

Taking the wife out to dinner .

• Like 3

Going to head out to Geneseo in a little bit to do an afternoon hunt with the ML . We had about 3" of snow in Ontario . No idea what Geneseo got . No doubt , it's going to be a cold sit . Snow-blowed the driveway and then use the leaf blower to clean off the car and ATV . 

• Like 1

About 1pm Matt ( my oldest son 0 and I headed for our spots on my ATV . We kicked 4 doe out of the gully lot and they ran across the neighbor's field to the west . I gave Matt the Condo stand at the pond and I went to my stand in the thickets . I took a folding chair to use rather than sitting in the ladder stand . Nothing came in from where I had been getting pictures from . At about 4:10 I packed up and did a slow walk through the thickets to see if I could push anything to Matt . Got a lot of snow down my neck from all the stuff falling from the little trees . When I got to Matt , he packed up and met me . He said he had a small doe and a fawn go across the horse trail at about 60 yards from him . Was hoping for a larger deer and didn't shoot . We got on my ATV and left . When I left the parking area , I headed West on Lima Road . Just before I got to North Road , I had 4 deer cross the road in front of me . I saw a 5th deer at the side of the road and I stopped and it crossed the road also . Glad I had my brights on so I could see farther up the road or I might have hit one . No shot but it was still an interesting day . 

• Like 1

Went to my son's property in Honeoye Falls this afternoon . Sat out in a hub blind . The blind is pretty well secluded but doesn't have much of a shooting window . Around 4pm a small doe came into view . I was holding out for a bigger deer but wasn't going to wait until dark for one to come in . Most of the time the deer was facing me at about 55 - 60 yards . Around 4:20 she moved sideway and into an opening . I pulled the hammer back on my NEF Huntsman and fired . All I could see was a big cloud of smoke . I reloaded and went to check for blood . Found blood and followed the trail . She went about 40 yards and crashed . Matt came out with the ATV , field dressed the deer , loaded it in the sled and took it to the barn to butcher otherwise it would freeze overnight .The deer was a doe fawn . At least I know the ML is accurate out to 60 yards . 

• Like 3