Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

• 1 month later...

This was my trophy . Nothing comparable to some of the monsters members have posted on the site . I am happy at the age of 80 that I was able to draw my 60# Ben Pearson TX-4 and shoot a 7 point wannabe buck this past season ( Oct 28 ) . Two of my sons , that hunt , paid to have a Euro Mount of the little guy . 

Euro Mount 2.jpg

IMG_0002.JPG

• Like 8

• 7 months later...

Well , I screwed up . A few minutes after 7 , I shot what I thought was a doe . It was limited light in the laneway and the deer was 25 yards away . Luckily I had practiced at that distance . Anyway , the deer took off into the bean field and I lost sight of it . I called my son to let him know I had hit a deer because I had seen the illuminated nok hit . I waited a half hour , got down from the ladder stand and went into the field . It was overcast , so I didn't see any blood until I came across a bloody spot where the deer had laid down . I saw the deer stand , take a few steps and lay back down . I tore a piece of hankerchief and marked the spot on a tall weed where the deer had last laid . I went back to my stand and sat for well over an hour . My son who had been sitting in a stand at the back of the woods said we had waited long enough and came up on his ATV . He was several hundred yards away from me . I showed Matt where the deer was when I shot . We looked around and started finding specks of blood and then some big spots of blood . Finally found the deer thanks to it's white belly . Not a doe , it was a Spike buck . I have knee surgery this coming Thursday and today was the only day I could hunt . And , thanks to my son , I was able to hunt and retrieve the deer . 

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

• Like 13

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

Well , I screwed up . A few minutes after 7 , I shot what I thought was a doe . It was limited light in the laneway and the deer was 25 yards away . Luckily I had practiced at that distance . Anyway , the deer took off into the bean field and I lost sight of it . I called my son to let him know I had hit a deer because I had seen the illuminated nok hit . I waited a half hour , got down from the ladder stand and went into the field . It was overcast , so I didn't see any blood until I came across a bloody spot where the deer had laid down . I saw the deer stand , take a few steps and lay back down . I tore a piece of hankerchief and marked the spot on a tall weed where the deer had last laid . I went back to my stand and sat for well over an hour . My son who had been sitting in a stand at the back of the woods said we had waited long enough and came up on his ATV . He was several hundred yards away from me . I showed Matt where the deer was when I shot . We looked around and started finding specks of blood and then some big spots of blood . Finally found the deer thanks to it's white belly . Not a doe , it was a Spike buck . I have knee surgery this coming Thursday and today was the only day I could hunt . And , thanks to my son , I was able to hunt and retrieve the deer . 

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

My hero.   How old are you, 80?

1 minute ago, fasteddie said:

81 as of September 5 .......... Older than dirt !

Almost exactly 20 years older than me.   You’re in the bush hunting and I’m in Wellsboro for a little getaway.    No wait, you killed a deer today and are having surgery Thursday.    Get through the surgery and you still have time to cork a wall hanger.   lol 

I hope I have the drive to get out and get it done like you.   You’re an inspiration…..

• Like 1

I promise it ain't gonna taste like a screw up after surgery! Great job and good luck to you sir!
My mother just got her second knee done and is glad she did it! The first few weeks are rough but you will love it when all healed up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, on the kill.  Bucks are always considerably faster for me to butcher than does, no matter how big their racks are, because there is always a lot less fat to be trimmed from the meat.  I’ll bet that one is going to taste great.  

You should be healed up enough to to get back out after another one by the end of gun season and for sure by late and Holiday ML seasons, and now you have plenty of meat to last till then.  

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how my gun hunting season is going to turn out . I had knee replacement surgery October 6 , a week ago . In  a lot of pain and the exercises are tough . can't get comfortable sitting or laying . Trying my best to tough it out . Being a bit pessimistic .

knee 10-13-22.jpg

Speaking from my mothers experience (2 separate knees done) the first weeks are the worst and then it gets steadily better and then you start to get frustrated and then one day you are loving it!

She HATED PT when they to force it straight. You got this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...