What to do in the morning …

luberhill

So usually after opening day , thanksgiving day is the next busiest .

My ground blind spot deep in the woods near a stream where I’ve been seeing good bucks at night BEFORE the opener of gun…

I sat all day Saturday and half the day Sunday and saw zero …

But I feel it can still be a good spot for tomorrow ??

My box blind on the woods edge I killed a big doe on Sunday afternoon is usually a good late afternoon sit ..

I also have a tree stand that faces a wooded ridge with cut fields at my back..

I haven’t sat here this year yet for gun..

My gut tells me to go to my ground blind spot and my box blind in the afternoon .

I only want to shoot one more , buck or doe , doesn’t matter ..

If I get another I’m giving it to a friend 

16 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Set your alarm an hour early. Play solitaire until the time you would usually get up, grab another coffee, and roll a set of die.

It’s funny I was just saying , the earliest I’ve ever shot a deer is 10am

And the latest was 5 minutes left of legal light .

Yet I get up at 5 and am in place by 6am 

• Like 1

I have 8 similar decisions to make over the next 4 days.  I am planning on hunting our home farm (approx 40 acres) tomorrow and Sunday and my parents (approx 60 acres) Friday and Saturday.   

The main factor I use to pick a stand is wind direction.  With a ssw wind tomorrow, my morning stand will be the closest one to the ne corner.  I will use a stand closer to the center in the afternoon, and stands closer to the sw corner on Sunday.  Our place is relatively square-shaped and I have 6 stands and blinds on it. 

My parents is L-shaped and larger, so I think I can get away with hunting it on consecutive days without over pressuring the deer.   I have 4 stands and blinds over there, with 2 on each branch of the “L”.  The two day break over there, between hunts at our place, will help minimize the pressure here at home.  Again, I will start with stands on the downwind sides and work my way upwind.  

My main concern, is getting through those 8 hunts without punching my buck tag.  I am really looking forward to hunting Adirondack bucks, the following weekend, up at my in-laws.  It is going to take a good 2.5 year old or a 3.5, to draw a slug or bolt out of me on this 4 day Holliday weekend.  

My plan is to be in 8 different stands on 8 consecutive hunts .  One will need to be with my crossbow, because that one is only about 400 ft from buildings that I don’t have permission to shoot near.  

I have 3 more dmp’s in addition to my buck tag, and I am really hoping to get a crack at a doe or an antlerless buck.  We could probably survive another year on the venison in the freezer now, but one more average-sized deer would be great. I could use some more grind.

Edited by wolc123