Has Anyone Actually Had Success Using A Hub Blind As Portable?

DirtTime

Title pretty much sums up my question.

I have used the one I have a few times setting it up to hunt, and then taking it with me the same day. I know deer see them and may avoid areas, and the times I did this I did see deer a couple times and they didn't seem all that spooked. Of course, I did set it up in a spot that had some hanging cover from above and thick brushy stuff behind it. The times I didn't see deer far outnumber the times I did, but how would one know if it was the blind being there or deer just not moving through that area on that day?

Thoughts?

23 minutes ago, Paula said:

I think moving any blind over and over is a mistake. I think it's best to let the deer get use to it by leaving it. 

I have a blind and want to use it but people are thieves 

That's why I won't leave it on public land, I would prefer not have it stolen.

I've been hunting with the ring style blinds for awhile now and just bought my first hub style blind, the khampa ranger 3000, as it weighs less than 9 pounds.

Took me awhile to figure how to set it up without making a lot of noise.

It's still not as easy for me to set up and break down as the ring style blinds, but it weighs a lot less and I'm sure it'll break in over time.

I've set up blinds the morning of hunting new land and have had deer walk right up to it, but I always treat my blinds with a UV killer, as there have been studies that found the water resistance coatings some manufacturers use makes them stick out to animals that see in a certain light spectrum.

Never had an issue after using UV killer.

Edited by Shoots100
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

I've been hunting with the ring style blinds for awhile now and just bought my first hub style blind, the khampa ranger 3000, as it weighs less than 9 pounds.

Took me awhile to figure how to set it up without making a lot of noise.

It's still not as easy for me to set up and break down as the ring style blinds, but it weighs a lot less and I'm sure it'll break in over time.

I've set up blinds the morning of hunting new land and have had deer walk right up to it, but I always treat my blinds with a UV killer, as there have been studies that found the water resistance coatings some manufacturers use makes them stick out to animals that see in a certain light spectrum.

Never had an issue after using UV killer.

I use UV killer on it. When I first got them and took a pic I knew that had to be done. I want to get a couple of the lighter weight tent pole ( ring ? ) blinds for next year for the wife.

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

I use UV killer on it. When I first got them and took a pic I knew that had to be done. I want to get a couple of the lighter weight tent pole ( ring ? ) blinds for next year for the wife.

By ring style pop up, I mean this doghouse type blind that folds up like this.

Blind fold up

The two thing's I don't like about the ring style blind's, is that you need to insert the top poles to keep the roof supported and they weigh a lot because of the steel rings.

No need to install top poles with the hub style and the carbon fiber hub and frame are very lightweight.

The lightest ring style blind is still almost 3 pounds heavier than my hub style blind.

When I'm out in the field, I always have a thermal monocular on hand and scan every couple of minutes.

I usually see them way before their in a position to see me, even when their downwind.

Blind, ladder or nose bleed height climber stand, I've been out many days when a deer isn't seen or spotted.

Just the law of averages.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

I have a few rolls of burlap I use for just lashing to trees. It works, but I'm thinking more towards light rain or snow and staying dry a bit. I looked at those umbrellas to use in combination, but they seem sort of useless in rain or snow if the wind is blowing, the wind will blow rain and snow under the umbrella so you're still gonna get wet.

• Like 1