How does this happen(accident)

Zag

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sounds like planned murder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right?! Can u imagine not texting or calling your dad or friend to say hey I'm tracking a deer I shot. How someone can shoot and not exactly know what your shooting is beyond me.

• Like 1

I've never understood how this happens either. Clearly he took time to aim at the "deer". In all of that time you didn't see it wasn't a deer? I can't imagine living through that. And to think a simple orange hat could've saved his life. The shooter should have his license revoked for life, not that I think he'd ever make that mistake twice... Sad.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Zag said:

How something like this happens is plain unacceptable. How someone can shoot at something and not know the target first is crazy stupid. No orange? No call or text im looking for a deer. Makes zero sense.

https://13wham.com/news/local/man-dead-in-ontario-county-hunting-incident

Also the shooter , wtf I thought it was a deer ???

Now I know why I hunt alone on private property

• Like 2

We all take great care to put a bullet into the vitals and that requires actually seeing the deer, sizing it up and placing the cross hairs in the right spot. How does someone just shoot at movement is beyond me. The victim not having blaze on isnt an excuse. People do walk thru the woods this time of year, walking dogs or just hiking.

• Like 2

2 people made bad decisions yesterday and those decisions will have lasting effects on a number of lives.

I don't know the 2 hunters involved, but know many of the 1st responders that  were involved. Many themselves are hunters, and being Thanksgiving this incident has affected many of them as well.

• Like 1

2 people made bad decisions yesterday and those decisions will have lasting effects on a number of lives.
I don't know the 2 hunters involved, but know many of the 1st responders that  were involved. Many themselves are hunters, and being Thanksgiving this incident has affected many of them as well.

That had to be a God awful call to go on.....thank god first responders! Can't even imagine walking up on an accident scene like that. Emotions had to be all over the board.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

The main reason I bought my own property was due to the sound of a slug whistling passed me.  I was walking in the woods dead slow in Catskills.  I hear bang, a whistle and a tick tick tick really close by me.  I knew what it was and started shouting.  I did find the guy and he give me the "I thought you were a deer".  I'm wearing plenty of blaze orange.  In fact, I look like the great pumpkin.  He's in "head to toe" LL Bean with the creases still in and a brand new Benelli shotgun.  Pretty sure anything this guy knows about hunting came from a magazine.

Now what really makes me mad is he protests how it's my fault he shot at me on public land.  Well, if I had any clue he was there, I would have been miles away.  Discussion ends with me telling him he's too stupid to own a gun.  I reported his back tag to DEC as this could happen again.

• Sad 2

I'm certainly not in the "planned murder" thought category. I just think some of you are naive to the fact that there are alot of hunters out there that are extremely careless and ignorant. The numbers would probably astound you.

• Like 2

It is beyond my comprehension, how anyone could shoot a firearm, without 100% identifying the target!!

The #1 rule in our Hunter Ed class, is "Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Lies Beyond It" !!! Keep your  finger off the trigger until you do so!

We've seen it in every class, people who have never handled a firearm, much less shoot one. The first time being at our class.

Now with the course online, I feel there is a small percentage of hunters sitting in the woods, with a loaded firearm, that are a danger to themselves, and others.

That said, the majority of hunting "accidents" are caused by "hunters" with years of experience! 

Are people that caught up in shooting a deer, that they are willing to risk someone's life, to shoot at an unknown target?

I guess some are. Because we see this sad story every year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grampy said:

It is beyond my comprehension, how anyone could shoot a firearm, without 100% identifying the target!!

The #1 rule in our Hunter Ed class, is "Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Lies Beyond It" !!! Keep your  finger off the trigger until you do so!

We've seen it in every class, people who have never handled a firearm, much l

That said, the majority of hunting "accidents" are caused by "hunters" with years of experience! 

Are people that caught up in shooting a deer, that they are willing to risk someone's life, to shoot at an unknown target?

I guess some are. Because we see this sad story every year.

Seems crazy that hunter with yrs experience would be the one doing wrong  I was thinking they just want that buck to out do others or the younger hunters. Just to get it over and be home. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisw said:

I'm certainly not in the "planned murder" thought category. I just think some of you are naive to the fact that there are alot of hunters out there that are extremely careless and ignorant. The numbers would probably astound you.

Had one of those over  in montrose pa area.  Lawyer was stupin his buddys wife and they went hunting and his buddy turned up dead.  Case went on for yrs and i think he ended up in prison  finally.