How does this happen(accident)

Zag

14 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

My wife is close friends with a member of the extended family. Shooter had decades of experience and had introduced other family members to hunting. He was regarded as a "safe" hunter. Shooter shot his daughters fiance. Shooter is devastated and on suicide watch.......

Decades of experience shooting at moving bushes? Absolute moron. Should be put in prison 

• Like 1

Decades ago there was an article in Outdoor Life called " A Thing called early Blur". it explained how any of us (especially in low light situations) could look at human and honestly mistake the person as a deer! If you (or I) are not aware of it, we could easily be an "absolute moron". Best prevention for "Early Blur" is blaze orange.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Decades ago there was an article in Outdoor Life called " A Thing called early Blur". it explained how any of us (especially in low light situations) could look at human and honestly mistake the person as a deer! If you (or I) are not aware of it, we could easily be an "absolute moron". Best prevention for "Early Blur" is blaze orange.

I wonder what time this incident occurred, and if low light conditions in the extra half hour’s before sunrise and after sunset was a factor.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Don’t make excuses for it. Should never happen, period.

25 minutes ago, Paula said:

The article says 11 

Glad to hear that.  It would suck to lose that extra hour due to such stupidity (that’s what not being sure of your target is) from one individual.  Id be sitting on my buck tag right now, were it not for that extra half hour past sunset, that we were granted this year.

I always wondered if antler point restricts might be effective at reducing incidents like this.  To me, it seems that having a buck and a doe tag might lead to “brown down” type shooting behavior, whereas point restrictions might curtail that a bit. 

Data from states or NY zones, which have antler point restrictions, might be investigated for correlation to shooting accidents.  If a reduction could be shown from that, it would be the only way I would support antler point restrictions. 

Years ago we were doing a drive and I saw some deer legs I thought underneath the brush  I waited and made sure and it turns out it was one of the drivers. Human legs don't look anything like deer legs,but I was thinking deer. 

A bad accident happened here, a father and son were walking and the father stumbled and fell and shot the son. 30 some old guy survived so far,but already had 6 surgeries.

Experienced hunter but didn't have the safety on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

A scientific explanation is neither an excuse nor a justification. Perhaps a path to understanding..............

I’m sorry, I just can’t understand anything other than 100% this morons fault. You identify your target, buck or doe, then pick the exact spot to shoot and make sure it’s safe beyond. At 11:00 in the morning, no light light excuse either

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Has there ever been a case of a hunter being shot mistaken for game in New York State while wearing orange?

I don't know specific cases but prior to hunter orange being mandated I recall the statement in the regulation booklet that stated that those not wearing orange were 7 times more likely to be shot  by another hunter than those who were wearing orange.  That makes me think there have been some cases of hunters wearing orange who were shot by others.  (These statistics, I am almost certain, do not include the self inflicted accidents.  A substantial number of accidents are self inflicted.)  Nevertheless, clearly wearing orange improves safety.  I know that won't change some people's minds.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

I have a friend that was shot (hand) while wearing blaze orange. But, he was not mistaken for game. He was on watch and hit by someone who fired at a buck and didn't know that my friend was in the line of fire. I was told that DEC had a crew in the woods for hours reconstructing the accident.

That's why I cited the "mistaken for game" criteria.

On 11/27/2021 at 2:40 PM, Bigfoot 327 said:

My wife is close friends with a member of the extended family. Shooter had decades of experience and had introduced other family members to hunting. He was regarded as a "safe" hunter. Shooter shot his daughters fiance. Shooter is devastated and on suicide watch.......

Shooter shot his daughters fiance. 

Do you think just maybe dady wanted someone better then this guy and oops pulled that trigger .

This is the most important gear I carry afield , and I hunt private posted land and haven’t seen another hunter in years . I’ve worked on well over a hundred gsw , but 9 mm hardball on city streets is nothing compared to hunting rounds . 

353202A4-EDFF-4F24-A28B-D40F1A0CAB07.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...