Deerage.com

BizCT

Over the last few years, a lot of WNYers seemed to have cast doubt on some of the ages of local 3N (Putnam County) deer that I felt confident about.

After my 2019 xbow buck, which my Dad and I felt without a doubt was 3.5 years old in 3N (Putnam County) at the very least, and more people doubted it I vowed to send every deer going forward to Deerage. Quick background is dad and I started hunting 3N in the mid 90’s. We know these deer very well. Sure we may be off by a year sometimes on the hoof, but as we all know it’s very easy to look at a jaw and determine 1.5 or 2.5+. After 2.5 it’s a guessing game on tooth wear (60% accuracy I believe for experts and I don’t claim To be an expert). But Deerage.com Is over 90% accurate on whitetails. Their website and Instagram has tons of data. Really cool stuff.

Anyway, I know [mention=271]Lawdwaz[/mention] and @The Jerkman used Deerage.com last year so I hope they can repost theirs here as well. I thought this would be a cool thread going forward on official ages.

First up is my Dad’s xbow buck. We had pics of
This buck in 3N since September. He was my # 1 target during bow and I never saw Him and then my dad killed him on 11/8. We thought he was 3.5 years old at Least. He dressed at 147lbs the day after my dad shot him since he recovered him the next day.

Deerage.com results came back today at 4.5 years old. We aren’t super surprised. We thought he was a great buck for this area and we were right. I taped him tonight at 95”. I’ve attached 6 trail cam pics for reference.

Lastly, this is likely my Dad’s 15th or so
Buck over 90” and under 110” in 3N. My 2019 buck was 94” and was heavier weight wise than my Dad’s this year. All were great bucks, but they just don’t score well. Maybe it’s genetics? Maybe it’s pressure? Maybe it’s food?

169dc28f8ab4ea096035bbb5ae86ecec.jpg

dd1e1ecef850618951f92142b5db35cc.jpg
3df479f2e36cbb3683cdc25c1f77daf3.jpg
1cf907024f4a4134f5a429b73acbd7ea.jpg
e74b3ce985741186639420b5c26fc073.jpg
4d577c1dc842883caace9f82182dd11e.jpg
3c5ebe484abfcb8e05d18c3998264d17.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I guess you needed to find out because of pressure from this forum? 
I'd say f'em and shoot what you want. If you're happy with them and think they are a certain age, then go with that. Screw what the " forum" says. 

Well unless you have a history of pics year after year on a unique buck, it’s really just a guessing game beyond 3.5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, mowin said:

I guess you needed to find out because of pressure from this forum? 

I'd say f'em and shoot what you want. If you're happy with them and think they are a certain age, then go with that. Screw what the " forum" says. 

If the forum isnt impressed then why bother being out there hunting? 

• Like 1

I've used Deerage before, it's nice having a more definitive answer to age. I put little faith in tooth wear as it's very circumstancial. I still need to send in the teeth to an ancient doe I killed that was most certainly on the downhill. Her teeth were incredibly worn and she was even missing a few.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've used Deerage before, it's nice having a more definitive answer to age. I put little faith in tooth wear as it's very circumstancial. I still need to send in the teeth to an ancient doe I killed that was most certainly on the downhill. Her teeth were incredibly worn and she was even missing a few.

Nice. I saw some on their website some other states had some really old does older than 10!

14 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Over the last few years, a lot of WNYers seemed to have cast doubt on some of the ages of local 3N (Putnam County) deer that I felt confident about.

After my 2019 xbow buck, which my Dad and I felt without a doubt was 3.5 years old in 3N (Putnam County) at the very least, and more people doubted it I vowed to send every deer going forward to Deerage. Quick background is dad and I started hunting 3N in the mid 90’s. We know these deer very well. Sure we may be off by a year sometimes on the hoof, but as we all know it’s very easy to look at a jaw and determine 1.5 or 2.5+. After 2.5 it’s a guessing game on tooth wear (60% accuracy I believe for experts and I don’t claim To be an expert). But Deerage.com Is over 90% accurate on whitetails. Their website and Instagram has tons of data. Really cool stuff.

Anyway, I know [mention=271]Lawdwaz[/mention] and @The Jerkman used Deerage.com last year so I hope they can repost theirs here as well. I thought this would be a cool thread going forward on official ages.

First up is my Dad’s xbow buck. We had pics of
This buck in 3N since September. He was my # 1 target during bow and I never saw Him and then my dad killed him on 11/8. We thought he was 3.5 years old at Least. He dressed at 147lbs the day after my dad shot him since he recovered him the next day.

Deerage.com results came back today at 4.5 years old. We aren’t super surprised. We thought he was a great buck for this area and we were right. I taped him tonight at 95”. I’ve attached 6 trail cam pics for reference.

Lastly, this is likely my Dad’s 15th or so
Buck over 90” and under 110” in 3N. My 2019 buck was 94” and was heavier weight wise than my Dad’s this year. All were great bucks, but they just don’t score well. Maybe it’s genetics? Maybe it’s pressure? Maybe it’s food?

169dc28f8ab4ea096035bbb5ae86ecec.jpg

dd1e1ecef850618951f92142b5db35cc.jpg
3df479f2e36cbb3683cdc25c1f77daf3.jpg
1cf907024f4a4134f5a429b73acbd7ea.jpg
e74b3ce985741186639420b5c26fc073.jpg
4d577c1dc842883caace9f82182dd11e.jpg
3c5ebe484abfcb8e05d18c3998264d17.png

I for one think you’re hunting the best deer in your unit . We all know certain parts of the state carry larger antlered deer than others . One can’t hunt for a 140 inch deer  if said deer doesn't exist , it’s sad to me when others have negative posts about some one shooting a small racked  buck or about the big deer they have on their property and are jealous they don’t  .  

• Like 2

Nice. I saw some on their website some other states had some really old does older than 10!

I wouldn't be surprised by anything with my doe. It's a bow only zone so that helps a lot. But her size didn't ring any bells as to being old. One of her hoofs continue to grow, it was like 5-6" long. She also had a large calcium type mass on her front leg. I think she dressed at like 105, but that's no 1.5 yr old... Screenshot_20211127-104807.jpg

• Like 1

I for one think you’re hunting the best deer in your unit . We all know certain parts of the state carry larger antlered deer than others . One can’t hunt for a 140 inch deer  if said deer doesn't exist , it’s sad to me when others have negative posts about some one shooting a small racked  buck or about the big deer they have on their property and are jealous they don’t  .  
Having been on both sides of this I can certainly add some insight. I hunted public land for 16 years and did quite well, but not on great bucks. I killed a few respectable bucks in the 105-115" range on public. There were a few on camera that were really good but few and far in-between. Now for the last 3 years we've had a lease on some really good farmland. I now see multiple bucks over 110" every year, even multiple in the same sit. The guys who consistently kill big bucks have mostly the same thing in common, great property. It doesn't take an extremely skillful hunter to get big bucks on occasion if they are plentiful. I killed a bigger buck in my first archery season on the lease than I had ever seen in the woods on public in 16+ years. My standards increase/decrease with the deer present. If I ever lose out on the lease and go back to public, my standards will be lower for sure. It really can be short sighted to base others opportunities off of your own. Having hunted public for most of my career, I can't imagine going back to strictly public.

• Like 3

It’s more to prove a point to some of the WNY guys than anything

Example there are guys on the forum that stated this deer is 2.5 years old

6e65b1d2abfbcb1426c8aabcdea4cb96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I’ll be honest ,I don’t care how old anything is ,it’s dead now so it won’t be getting any older .not knocking ya at all ,who cares what anyone thinks it’s age is .You’re happy ,and that’s what matters .

One thing  I notice on these forums and Facebook ,everyone seems to worry what people are going to think about THEIR deer .I’d be off these forums way before I’ll ever care .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Having been on both sides of this I can certainly add some insight. I hunted public land for 16 years and did quite well, but not on great bucks. I killed a few respectable bucks in the 105-115" range on public. There were a few on camera that were really good but few and far in-between. Now for the last 3 years we've had a lease on some really good farmland. I now see multiple bucks over 110" every year, even multiple in the same sit. The guys who consistently kill big bucks have mostly the same thing in common, great property. It doesn't take an extremely skillful hunter to get big bucks on occasion if they are plentiful. I killed a bigger buck in my first archery season on the lease than I had ever seen in the woods on public in 16+ years. My standards increase/decrease with the deer present. If I ever lose out on the lease and go back to public, my standards will be lower for sure. It really can be short sighted to base others opportunities off of your own. Having hunted public for most of my career, I can't imagine going back to strictly public.

Same for myself kinda ,hunted on my cousins property for 20 plus years . There were 5 other hunting camps around my cousins  98 acres and one year they all decided 6 point or better . So all in all we had about 8-900 acres of guys only shooting 6 point or better , after about 3 years the big bucks I was seeing was numerous. About 10 years ago he sold his camp and I’ve been leasing property since. I like running my game cams just to see what’s on the property , I have a nice 8 and a super wide 6 with short tines on our current lease. I would love to tag that 6 he’s not the biggest but one of the coolest bucks I’ve seen . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

I think it has to do with the food they get. I hunted 40 acres in westchester county, no ag around. I was amazed at how small their body and rack was compared to the deer on my farm.   

I get some great mature bucks on cam on a small parcel in Westchester. It’s near a public farm but they still don’t break 125”