Neck Shots

Grouse

As of Wednesday 11/24 I am tagged out in my home woods.  One six point buck was taken and I filled my doe permit.  I still have a doe permit for 3M, but I'm not sure if I will be going down there to fill it.  We'll see how the weather looks and if I can find the time.

This year I decided if I could possibly do it, I was shooting the deer in the neck.  Both deer were within 50 yards and both were shot in the neck.  Both fell down where they stood when they were hit.  No tracking was required and there was no fear of losing either animal.  Gutting was a lot less bloody and I expect all of the meat to be fine, with no worries of lead in any of it, or lead left for raptors in the gut pile.  And no need to use monolithic copper bullets to achieve it.  Neck shooting seems to offer plenty of advantages and no disadvantages that I can see.

I've only taken a few deer in the past with neck shots, but I'm starting to think this may be they way to go from now on.  I'm thinking now of maybe using a different rifle too.  The 7mm-08 seems to be more than needed to neck shoot deer at close range.

Anyway, just thought I'd ramble a little on my harvest this year.  Still going out with the ML when the season is open, but I think I will hold out for an eight point or better.

Anyone else taking their deer with neck shots?

Had this exact discussion last night.  A friend of mine wanted the organ meat.  A doe was harvested by our party and the heart was clipped so we told him to cut around. Then it divulged into aiming for the neck to avoid what you described.   Going forward, if the shot presented itself i think i would go for the neck.  

• Like 1

Yes.  Midway up the neck, not too close to the head and dead center.  I did not cut the hide on the neck to see what the results were, but the entire neck at that point feels like marbles in a bag.  Lots of blood was let out of each deer with those shots as well. The shots were taken from broadside.

Edited by Grouse

I always go for the neck when a finishing shot is required, from point blank range, but I don’t like it as an initial shot.  I only did that once, on going on a hundred deer I have shot.

The only reason I did it that time, was the big buck appeared suddenly at point blank range with just his head and neck exposed.  

The problem with the neck shot, is that unless it strikes the spine, there is a good chance the deer will get away,  and suffer a wound that might take a week to kill it.  

Is it really worth taking that chance to save a little meat ?  Also, the neck roast is one of my favorite parts of the deer.  

I did strike the neck with my first shot unintentionally two times.  Once on the exit from a Texas heart shot with my 30/06 (lost that neck roast).  The other was with my bow when the buck ducked my shot and caught my arrow in his juggular.

To me, taking an initial neck or head shot shows some lack of respect for the animal and I don’t even do it on squirrels.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

I always go for the neck when a finishing shot is required, from point blank range, but I don’t like it as an initial shot.  I only did that once, on going on a hundred deer I shot.

The only reason I did it that time, was the big buck appeared suddenly at point blank range with just his head and neck exposed.  

The problem with the neck shot, is that unless it strikes the spine, there is a good chance the deer will get away,  and suffer a wound that might take a week to kill it.  

Is it really worth taking that chance to save a little meat ?  Also, the neck roast is one of my favorite parts of the deer.  

I did strike the neck with my first shot unintentionally two times.  Once on the exit from a Texas heart shot with my 30/06 (lost that neck roast).  The other was with my bow when the buck ducked my shot and caught my arrow in his juggular.

To me, taking an initial neck or head shot shows a lack of respect for the animal and I don’t even do it on squirrels.

Squirrels don't have necks. 

Disrespectful? Really?  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mowin said:

Squirrels don't have necks. 

Disrespectful? Really?  

I did disrespect a big grey one time, with my 50 cal sidelock ML.  He made the mistake of showing up at sunset on the last day of the late deer season .  I had to shoot the thing to unload it anyhow.

Classic case of showing up at the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Yes.  Midway up the neck, not too close to the head and dead center.  I did not cut the hide on the neck to see what the results were, but the entire neck at that point feels like marbles in a bag.  Lots of blood was let out of each deer with those shots as well. The shots were taken from broadside.

And the deer were DRT ?

I shot the first deer on my wall in the neck. He dropped where he stood. The doe he was chasing ran right up to my stand and he was behind a tree, all I could see was neck and head. Figured that doe was going to bolt and take him too. After the shot the doe looked up at me as if to say thank you for saving me from the harassment and started munching on acorns.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

I’d say you make the judgement ,if you feel comfortable with it then do it .I don’t agree with the disrespectful aspect of it .how many deer are hit broadside and injured and lost ? I’ve never had a deer move after a neck shot .Never injured any either .

How big are the two kill zones in comparison? Hunting is a game of chances...I like the best ones for myself.

• Like 1

I knew an older guy that always shot the deer where the head and neck met with a .22 mag. For two reasons he couldn't walk very good and he liked to eat the lungs.I meet him at the rifle range he would put up a target with rows of 1" circles and shoot all day at 50yrds. not once did his bullet land outside the circle.I know because i changed his targets out for him.I used to give him a few deer when i was nuisance hunting there wasn't much waste when he got done butchering the deer and that went to his pigs.

My brothers first bow kill was a head shot right in the ear.I agree with grouse the gutting was much cleaner.

My experience (limited) with neck shots isn't good. I took a 40 yard shot at a huge doe standing broadside in brush. Doe was standing still and the neck was only available target and I figured that if she did move, I wasn't going to get a better chance. I was in a no rifle zone so I was using a 12 ga. Ithaca Deerslayer, a gun I had used for decades at that point. I shot, the deer ran, with no opportunity for a follow up. Deer bled profusely and with a little snow the tracking was easy. Eventually, the trail led in to posted property which I was unable to access.

The next year a member of our hunting party took a huge doe from the same area that had a softball sized "growth" of scar tissue on the middle of its neck. I think it was the same deer.

I hesitate to say I would never take another neck shot, but I am certain it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

How big are the two kill zones in comparison? Hunting is a game of chances...I like the best ones for myself.

I always try to hit a particular hair when I shoot at a deer, but I can only say with certainty, that I struck exactly on my intended point one time.  I know that, because there was no hair at that point, over a diameter about equal to that of my .30 cal bullet.

The near misses are a fact of hunting, which why it is usually best to aim for the point that provides the most room for error.  

There are always exceptions, and I would go along with the neck shots, inside of 50 yards, if you are extremely confident in your rifle.  I still wouldn’t do it, unless it was all I had to shoot at, because of my fondness for neck roasts.  The center-lunger is going to wreck less usable meat for me.  

• Like 1

I have killed a few with a .223 shooting barns copper bullets. I like to shoot them right below the head in the neck. It is like someone just shut the lights off. I wouldn’t take a deer with that caliber over 100 yards. I took this doe last year in December 6 at 4pm. She didnt even twitch, the shot was around 80 yards. 

5CE54FA8-E6CC-4270-A0D5-AC1C4A2EEE6B.jpeg

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
  • Like 4

I know 2 guys that hunt with a 300 win mag and if the deer is inside 100 yards and the neck shot is available they take it. They are both very good shooters and are both confident in there abilities. Every deer has dropped immediately when that shot was taken.

I consider myself a good shot but I do not have the confidence to do it. I’ll take one in the boiler room every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

I’ll go for a broadside shot every time if the situation warrants it ,sometimes that’s not an option though .I’m saying,if that’s all I have ,I’ll take the shot and feel comfortable .Every neck shot I’ve taken,they dropped dead .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

E2557154-300C-4E1C-9E38-2A165C6E3C25.pngThis guy was stopped in its tracks

That’s just how my Texas heart shot Adirondack 6-pointer looked,  when I walked up to him.  The hole in the front of his neck was the exit.  There was no entry wound. My 150 gr .30 cal bullet likely mushroomed on impact with the spine (after it cut a shallow trough across the bottom of the heart), resulting in an exit hole about the same size as your 12 ga slug entry hole.

I expected the worst,  but that was amoung the cleanest gut jobs I ever had on a deer.   Even the butt-out worked just as if should.  

Did your slug stay in that one and how was the gutting job ?

Edited by wolc123

I always go for the neck when a finishing shot is required, from point blank range, but I don’t like it as an initial shot.  I only did that once, on going on a hundred deer I have shot.

To me, taking an initial neck or head shot shows some lack of respect for the animal and I don’t even do it on squirrels.
Pump the brakes. So a neck shot is disrespectful to the animal, but shooting them up the ass isn't? I'm confused yet again by you. Do you just make up things that sound good in the moment and forget about the other things you brag about that completely contradict yourself?

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

That’s just how my Texas heart shot Adirondack 6-pointer looked,  when I walked up to him.  The hole in the front of his neck was the exit.  There was no entry wound. 

I expected the worst,  but that was amoung the cleanest gut jobs I ever had on a deer.  Even the butt-out worked just as if should.  

Deff like the over all cleanliness of a neck shot .The 3” copper sabots I use are ruthless on a body shot .