Tim’s Last Hunt

outdoorstom

I had the honor this afternoon of guiding a veteran, Tim, on a deer hunt through Wounded Warriors Outdoor Adventures.  He was brought to the farm we just sold, but have retained hunting rights to.  Bob Giordano and his buddy Phil brought Tim out in a trailer since he’s confined to a scooter.  Our adventure started with the Jeep and trailer getting stuck in the mud on the way up to the ground blind, so I walked back for the tractor and towed them up there.  After getting situated in the blind, we stashed the tractor and the trailer on the backside of the tree line and Bob and Phil left.  

Tim and I started getting acquainted as we waited for a deer to show itself. Tim had tags for either sex. I was amazed when Tim shared that he had been placed under hospice care today. His attitude and demeanor were such that you would never guess that was the case. I hope and pray I half of his grace when it’s my turn.

We visited for about an hour or so when Tim said “there’s a deer”.  I looked and saw a 4 pointer in the brassicas, 75 yards in front of us. I started videoing on my phone and Tim settled in and took the shot. The buck did a little dance and looked around, then started eating again. I told Tim to shoot again and he said “he’s down”. I should mention at this point that Tim is blind in one eye. I quickly  scanned the brassicas and the only deer there was still standing. I told Tim he must see a rock on the edge of the field,  and to shoot again. He shot and hit the buck, which then ran into our woods. It was snowing pretty good, so I told him I’m going to check for sign before it got covered in snow. When I got out of the blind, I saw a deer down in the soybean field, 125 yards away.  It was a doe and she had been in the blind spot between windows in the blind and I couldn’t see her from my position.  And yes, I have two good eyes.  

I found one drop of blood in the field, and 10 yards into the woods I saw the buck get out of a bed and run 50 yards and bed down again. My nephew (Ralph) was in a blind in the woods only 150 yards away, so I told him to get ready I was going to push the buck to him.  The buck took off towards him, then bedded down again 40 yards later. At this point I called Ralph and told him to climb down and work his way towards us.  About 10 minutes later the buck went on alert as Ralph approached, then got up and ran another short distance before bedding again.  Ralph got on him and soon put him out of his misery.  I told Ralph I could call the DEC and explain what happened and they may come and take it so he wouldn’t have to use his tag. He graciously used his tag to help a fellow vet out.

Big shoutout to Mike Fennessey for the processing job he’s going to do for Tim.

Tim’s last hunt and he shot two deer!

80443DA2-87F4-41E8-A333-76636714EAE0.jpeg

DB6B54D1-2A81-4426-B457-631D11AE1513.jpeg

DBBF6BE5-0657-48EA-9D33-EE9E4FFC84AC.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 8

8 hours ago, outdoorstom said:

I had the honor this afternoon of guiding a veteran, Tim, on a deer hunt through Wounded Warriors Outdoor Adventures.  He was brought to the farm we just sold, but have retained hunting rights to.  Bob Giordano and his buddy Phil brought Tim out in a trailer since he’s confined to a scooter.  Our adventure started with the Jeep and trailer getting stuck in the mud on the way up to the ground blind, so I walked back for the tractor and towed them up there.  After getting situated in the blind, we stashed the tractor and the trailer on the backside of the tree line and Bob and Phil left.  

Tim and I started getting acquainted as we waited for a deer to show itself. Tim had tags for either sex. I was amazed when Tim shared that he had been placed under hospice care today. His attitude and demeanor were such that you would never guess that was the case. I hope and pray I half of his grace when it’s my turn.

We visited for about an hour or so when Tim said “there’s a deer”.  I looked and saw a 4 pointer in the brassicas, 75 yards in front of us. I started videoing on my phone and Tim settled in and took the shot. The buck did a little dance and looked around, then started eating again. I told Tim to shoot again and he said “he’s down”. I should mention at this point that Tim is blind in one eye. I quickly  scanned the brassicas and the only deer there was still standing. I told Tim he must see a rock on the edge of the field,  and to shoot again. He shot and hit the buck, which then ran into our woods. It was snowing pretty good, so I told him I’m going to check for sign before it got covered in snow. When I got out of the blind, I saw a deer down in the soybean field, 125 yards away.  It was a doe and she had been in the blind spot between windows in the blind and I couldn’t see her from my position.  And yes, I have two good eyes.  

I found one drop of blood in the field, and 10 yards into the woods I saw the buck get out of a bed and run 50 yards and bed down again. My nephew (Ralph) was in a blind in the woods only 150 yards away, so I told him to get ready I was going to push the buck to him.  The buck took off towards him, then bedded down again 40 yards later. At this point I called Ralph and told him to climb down and work his way towards us.  About 10 minutes later the buck went on alert as Ralph approached, then got up and ran another short distance before bedding again.  Ralph got on him and soon put him out of his misery.  I told Ralph I could call the DEC and explain what happened and they may come and take it so he wouldn’t have to use his tag. He graciously used his tag to help a fellow vet out.

Big shoutout to Mike Fennessey for the processing job he’s going to do for Tim.

Tim’s last hunt and he shot two deer!

80443DA2-87F4-41E8-A333-76636714EAE0.jpeg

DB6B54D1-2A81-4426-B457-631D11AE1513.jpeg

DBBF6BE5-0657-48EA-9D33-EE9E4FFC84AC.jpeg

Just plan awsome! Great people and great job.