Outbid commission From injury

Northcountryman

Can’t catch a break these last few seasons in the woods boys!! Wednesday , went up to camp and did a drive for awhile to push something to my buddy on stand . While walking, I discovered this old farmhouse foundation deep in the woods . Curious I walked along it , checking it out and jumped down from it after to continue my drive . Ended up landeing weird and strained ( maybe even tore a little bit ) the Plantar tendon on bottom of my left foot. Haven’t been able to hunt since !! It’s better now and hoping I’ll be able to go out maybe in the am, just don’t wanna push it and ended up making it worse . Anyone ever get knocked out of the game due to injury / illness ? Sucks !! 

• Sad 1

broke my collar bone a few days before gun season a few years ago. Still went hunting opening day but brought my 06 instead of my shotgun due to recoil differences. Got 2 shots at a pretty nice buck (at least an 8 possible 10) twice while standing broadside at about 80/90 yards. Missed em twice no blood no hair followed tracks for a couple hundred yards. wasn't sure if the gun was off or if it was me. the following year I check my gun and it was still dead on. I must of been flinching at the shot since that was the side my collar bone was broken on when anticipating the recoil. was bummed but what can ya do?

In 2015, I developed some painful sciatica, on my left side, that hobbled me up pretty good.  It started in mid October and lasted until January.   It hurt real bad to walk and it nearly immobilized me thru hunting season.   I got skunked that year.  Fortunately, some good friends gave us a couple deer, but on October 1, 2016, our freezer was nearly empty of venison.    Some simple stretching exercises took care of it and I had an above average year (4 deer) in 2016.  

This year was a wash for me. After suffering from a fall at work during the third week of October, I’ve been out of the game. I have 4 broken ribs and a compression fracture on one of my vertebrae. On top of that, I also got a pretty good concussion as well as injuries to my neck and chest as well. I’ve been dying to get out, but health comes first and I’ve been trying to get plenty of rest. I’m just thankful that it wasn’t worse, and I’ll be able to hunt again in the future. From what the doctors tell me, I was very lucky. Our season goes until the end of January, so we are almost at the halfway point. Hopefully I will continue to improve and I’ll be able to get a few sits in at some point before the season is over. 

Edited by NonTypical

8 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

This year was a wash for me. After suffering from a fall at work during the third week of October, I’ve been out of the game. I have 4 broken ribs and a compression fracture on one of my vertebrae. On top of that, I also got a pretty good concussion as well as injuries to my neck and chest as well. I’ve been dying to get out, but health comes first and I’ve been trying to get plenty of rest. I’m just thankful that it wasn’t worse, and I’ll be able to hunt again in the future. From what the doctors tell me, I was very lucky. Our season goes until the end of January, so we are almost at the halfway point. Hopefully I will continue to improve and I’ll be able to get a few sits in at some point before the season is over. 

I hear you. Very tough to sit out but need to heal properly for future hunts.

• Like 1

I'm out this year due to eye surgery.It was supposed to be simple Lasik,but when he went in he changed it to a more advanced PSK surgery which takes three to six months to heal. I looked throw my scope the other day it's crystal clear,but I'm not taking any chances.I might take a few shots with my crossbow next week and see how it goes. And as luck would have it there's been deer in my little food plots everyday.

Feel better Northcountryman and NonTypical

• Sad 1

Missed opening day last year with food getting stuck in my esophagus.  Tore it trying to cough up the stuck food piece.  Blood came up, so off to Albany med for a couple of metal clips in there to stop the bleed. Still got to hunt after 2 days of rest, but was really mad I missed the opener.  Meds are keeping the problem under control now.

• Sad 1

Back injuries had me sidelined one year . Last week I drove up in my truck walked 100 yards to a spot on a trail . I set tucked into a big pine  and killed a big doe an hour later . Had to drive back and get my 2 sons to dress and drag it  and load it up .

Another year i was down with bi lateral pneumonia.  Managed a trip to my lowest stand on the hill. Shot a 6 point . Dragged it aboutb25 yards and coughing up a lung . Called  my buddy and he came up and dressed it took it home . Wife and buddy  butchered it while I was in the hospital .

No injuries that keep me out of the woods for the opener, but in 2012 I had ankle fusion surgery scheduled on the Monday after the opener. Shot a little fork horn on the opening day. Managed to get out for a ML hunt. Sat in a clients garage and shot a big doe. My cousin did the grunt work. 

Sprained my wrist really bad while dragging my buck out during archery… it seemed better till I tried to get the doe i shot the other day out of the woods… now it’s worse than it was before..

743bc3eb378ddb14476d5f5e3cc1c5ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't missed a gun opening day in 42 years,  that said:

A few years ago I had a cracked disc and a couple of herniated discs.  Got some cortisone shots. Son had to get me to my elevated blind (wheelbarrow ride). Was able to spend all day as usual, with the help of pain killers. 

This spring I was diagnosed with some pretty bad stuff.  Was scheduled for a serious surgery on November 7th. Was having a hard time drawing my bow even after turning down the poundage.  I got out with the crossbow a little.  Surgery got postponed on the 6th. Spent 11 hours in the stand gun opening day, and a couple days since.  Glad I feel good enough to.  Only seen some smaller bucks, holding out for a bigger one as long as I can. For now, take it day by day.  Glad to be able to get out. 

I feel for those who can't make it out. I know how I felt when I thought about missing out.