Polaris Ranger vs Can-Am Defender

Five Seasons

Some of you saw my post on a 400 vs a 700 Quad and nudged me in the direction of a UTV and honestly I'm strongly considering it now. I still see the cons as price and size vs a quad but the pros of the bed and added weight are growing on me.

Would be used for typical hunting stuff like putting in stands and hauling deer. Would also be used around an aging orchard to haul debris from tree trimming and possibly some food plots and tow behind brush mowing.

Anyhow, width is a big factor as my current trails are not super wide, and while it wont be terribly difficult to widen them I'm also not looking to put in roads.

I built a spreadsheet comparing price, engine size, weight, width and ground clearance of the following:

Can-Am Defender DPS

Kawasaki Mule Pro-MX EPS

Honda Pioneer 700 deluxe

Deere

Kubota

Polaris Ranger 570 Premium

I think I've narrowed it down to a Can-Am HD7 and Ranger 570. Both have the same ground clearance. the Can-Am has 200 pounds on the ranger but it's also 6" wider which might not seem like much but the defender is 14" wider than a Polaris 850 quad so it starts adding up. The Polaris at just 56" wide is only 8.4" wider. The Defender is $300 cheaper and 83 more cc's.

Also for what it's worth, you can't get shit right now. Polaris' is shipping out to March and Can-Am's a little more available but larger engines and more expensive trims. I don't really need anything till the spring.

Thoughts?

https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-sp-570/

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/us/en/models/side-by-side-vehicles/defender.html#dps?gclid=Cj0KCQiAy4eNBhCaARIsAFDVtI2xQd0Bw0KoD8rK8LjKGrjkODacPwoSjucLZL1dREzXiRhr6BjS4tcaAobJEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

PS haven't totally ruled out a Kodiak, Polaris 850 or Can-Am Outlander

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

They’re pretty hard to find and sort of minimalist, which is kinda Honda’s thing and some people prefer but the deal breaker is their 2 latch tailgate. Just overly complicated and I could see getting annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy had one on order ,was supposed to be in this month ,just got pushed back 4 or so months I guess .another friend has one ,has worked great with no issue .Yamaha or Honda can’t be beat imo.

Understandable,take the good  with the bad ,you won’t be in the shop getting things fixed constantly though lol .

Edited by WNYTRPR

24 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

My buddy had one on order ,was supposed to be in this month ,just got pushed back 4 or so months I guess .another friend has one ,has worked great with no issue .Yamaha or Honda can’t be beat imo.

Understandable,take the good  with the bad ,you won’t be in the shop getting things fixed constantly though lol .

The only guy I know who had a honda had it in the shop for the transmission . I remember him telling me it was like an automatic out of car . It was super noisy. 

For whatever it’s worth…

I was in your boat @Belo not knowing which way to go.  I loved the look of the Can-Am’s, but wanted reliability as we ride in extremely remote area’s of Maine.  I researched as I saved my money for a few years.  Can-Am has an extremely well made, reliable product, their fit, and finish is great.  It was a no brainer for me to purchase our machine.  I run it hard, 90mph floored, zero issues at 800 miles in.  

I know a few people with Polaris Rangers, they love their machines.  They do use them a lot, and zero issues as well.  

I ordered our X3 Turbo R in February of this year, and finally received it in July.  I suggest ordering a machine you really want, and a machine you also want, as long as the dealer will return your deposit. ASAP. I was able to order 2 machines, because I wasn’t sure on color.

I hear Can-Am is delivering mid spring for 2022’s, while others already have their 2022’s….it depends on what the machine has, certain availability of sensors are holding up the delivery of certain machines. 

No matter what machine you buy, if its Can-Am or Polaris, break the drive belt in, and motor in according to the manufacturer spec.  I also warm my motor up to operating temp before I drive, and I follow the maintenance schedule.  I think you will be fine with either the Can-Am, or Polaris, that you have narrowed your needs down to.  

I agree Honda is a reliable company, and I run Honda generators, etc, but in a UTV I respectfully pass.  

Also, I always hear, I am sooo glad I went with a UTV…it seems everyone is pleasantly surprised after some seat time.  They are big, but with plot work, I think you are better off, throwing chainsaws, axes, chains, straps, fuel cans, log rollers….it’s just more practical than an ATV.

it has also been an awesome hobby my wife, and I enjoy together. Priceless, imagine you, and your wife in the front, and your boys sitting in the bed….

Lastly, you can have good luck, and bad luck with any manufacturer.

0492498A-C94D-4BDC-9D54-4FF98E631141.jpeg

CCEC5B73-3A19-42B3-8DE0-E76DC74F79CE.jpeg

F1817DD4-01E5-4353-9BCB-356F920F94B6.jpeg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having friends with Polaris and can am. The can am  wins hands down, one with a Polaris is saving ti buy a can am now as Polaris has started needing replacement parts on a bi monthly basis.  ...
Just curious.....how much does your buddy use the polairs? Daily...weekly....only for hunting or does use it around his homestead as well.

I have a polairs rzr I bought used and put minimal mileage on it a year....then use it on average once a week during the hunting season. So far it has only required an oil change and I went through the fluids.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

If you really want something that will WORK hard for you and get you from point a to point b (and showing fast is not your desire), I would reconsider the Kubota…. You can not beat the Diesel engine for power and reliability..  the machine is built well and now has rear independent suspension which make a big difference..  I am on my second one and it does everything I need it to and more..  not cheap but nothing good ever is..

My dad has had a Polaris ranger for about 10 years.  It has a very smooth ride.  The only trouble with it, is the lights don’t work.  That has been a pain in the behind for me twice so far this year.  It works good for deer recoveries in the morning hunts, but not so hot on evening ones.  

Ma nagged him pretty good about that Friday night (as she was holding a flashlight looking at deer guts) so I am guessing that he will get them lights fixed relatively soon.  

I have used it for some light food plotting (sprayer and cultipacker) and it does fine at that.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

Just curious.....how much does your buddy use the polairs? Daily...weekly....only for hunting or does use it around his homestead as well.

I have a polairs rzr I bought used and put minimal mileage on it a year....then use it on average once a week during the hunting season. So far it has only required an oil change and I went through the fluids.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

He uses it on trail rides maybe once a month and daily around his house with kids going for rides. He's replaced about every wheelberring and universal joint now..  

21 hours ago, Wildcat said:

If you really want something that will WORK hard for you and get you from point a to point b (and showing fast is not your desire), I would reconsider the Kubota…. You can not beat the Diesel engine for power and reliability..  the machine is built well and now has rear independent suspension which make a big difference..  I am on my second one and it does everything I need it to and more..  not cheap but nothing good ever is..

I appreciate that feedback. I haven't  ruled it out. Speed is not a priority at all for me. 

We have a ranger 570 and a ranger HD.

I will tell you that 90% of the time, i grab the 570. the 570 has never let me down, and is used at least twice a month. pulls logs and sprays and seeds all our plots. is also used for frequent 20 mile plus trail ride days. Yes, it can have some wear and tear problems, but every year we drop it off at the local dealer and have them give it a once over. after 6 years of ownership we are now looking for a crew 570. 

My uncle has a can am commander and it seems pretty well built. although it is a different machine than the defender, its still similar. go with whatever local dealer has the best support, at the end of the day thats a big factor. 

• Thanks 1

I appreciate that feedback. I haven't  ruled it out. Speed is not a priority at all for me. 
Had my ranger for about 6 years now. 2012 800xp. Just replaced a pile of wear parts. It gets used. It has spent most of its life outside, some of that uncovered. It has a pile of hours on it. I'd say it has been a fantastic machine for what it is, and not a problem child especially given its life. We creek ride alot. Mud bog alot. Deep snow etc etc. I wouldn't say it's better or worse than a can am, but for me it's been a great machine. I would buy another. I also know can am has become very popular and holds a solid reputation. Your 2 choices are great, so get the one that's available or the one your wife thinks is the cutest and you shouldn't regret it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1