Has anyone built a ground level deck? If so any pointers?

burmjohn

Has anyone built a ground level deck? If so any pointers?

I have been reading, and it seems the composite is not good for ground level decks because of mold and moisture issues (Less then 12 inches). The alternative is to use PVC / Plastic decking... I went to the lumber yard yesterday and got a sample of this - > http://www.azek.com/azek-deck/

Problem obviously with the composite and PVC style is the $$$.... However, if I'm going to do a deck I want something that will last me for a long time, and work with the limited space I have. Where the deck will meet the house I'll have to rip down 2x6's that will lay on an old cement slab, the rest of the deck will rest on footings I'll put in.

Anyways, any suggestions / idea's / tips?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure on the composites or anything, but make sure to put down a nice layer of landscape fabric with crushed stone on top of it underneath the deck to avoid any hassles with weeds, etc. I have a friend that just did the stone, and didnt bother with the fabric under it, and he still gets crap growing under there.

I also saw a show recently where they were using hidden fasteners to put the decking on and it looked really nice. The deck they were doing was low to the ground and they used Bamboo decking.

Yeah its crazy how expensive it is. Its 1/4 the cost to do it with regular wood, however since its low level I'm sure I'd have issues right away. Plus with the baby I don't want to have to deal with splinters. My jaw dropped when I figured the price to be roughly 4600 soup to nuts for the AZEK deck 14x32 from the local lumbar yard. I called a few others for pricing and they are all around the same price, $60-$68 for a 20 foot piece. The only good part is it would last forever... I might have to cut the deck size down to 16x16 to make it more feasible or save up for a bit longer. I had no idea these damn boards were so expensive!

I think footers...

BTW the problem with the hidden fasteners is the cost, you would not believe the price they want for these things even online!! For a 16x32 deck, $1000+ just for the stupid fasteners!

I didnt know what the price on them was. Sheesh, thats a little steep.

Look into the bamboo decking. From what I hear it lasts alot longer and is much harder than a regular deck, but was less expensive than composite.

I built a 10x20 composite deck a few years ago. It is beautiful, but i am kicking myself in the arss for where i put it. And i went with the pvc railing system, and living on the tug with a metal roof in the winter, sure does kick the pvc railings butt. Replaced it twice. Now im taking it down every year. If you make a good vapor barrier, you wont need to worry about the mold and stuff. Half of mine is on the ground then slopes out a lil bit. No mold yet.

Dinsdale is the man to talk to. I'm not sure but I'd bet he has a wealth of knowledge on deck building and most other chores like that.

Yesterday, while up this way visiting family, he installed a new stairway banister, spindles & posts for me at my house. He ordered the parts a couple months ago after a couple measurments and some pictures via the PM forum here.

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

The man is the finest craftsman I've run across. He was wayyyyyyyy over qualified for this job and good company to boot!!

I have built too many decks over the last 28 years...lol... ground level decks are the toughest over time because of the moister issue.. I usually recommend doing some kind of patio instead as opposed to a ground lever deck. they both serve the same purpose and a patio can be made for the same cost or even less... pavers, concrete, or a mixture of both... at my home I created a patio below my deck.. I made the shape of the patio with landscape stone then filled it with concrete... now there is also the option of stampcrete as well. Honestly, if you are having to ask this question.. you should not be building a deck by yourself..lol... leave it to professionals.. you'll be much happier.

I have built too many decks over the last 28 years...lol... ground level decks are the toughest over time because of the moister issue.. I usually recommend doing some kind of patio instead as opposed to a ground lever deck. they both serve the same purpose and a patio can be made for the same cost or even less... pavers, concrete, or a mixture of both... at my home I created a patio below my deck.. I made the shape of the patio with landscape stone then filled it with concrete... now there is also the option of stampcrete as well. Honestly, if you are having to ask this question.. you should not be building a deck by yourself..lol... leave it to professionals.. you'll be much happier.

A++ if you are that low anyway put in a patio of some sort. it can also be utilized to direct moisture and water away from the structure and that is something a deck can not do.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I managed to reno my house (gutted to studs), hopefully i can handle a deck ;) The patio idea is a great one, i said that to the wife last week, however she isnt sold on it.

I promise you john that your version of a good homeowner job and mine are quite different... I have seen many many homeowner projects over the years.. mostly when they ask me to come and fix the mess they created. Seriously though.. you can create a beautiful patio if you have a little sense of design... I'll try to take some pics and show you mine.. its simple but very nice looking and easy to take care of with just a broom. I think I spent a little over $1000, but I did the concrete work and landscape block work myself.

That would be cool, thanks Joe. I'm a bit anal with house work, ill have to post some pics later.

I was just messin' with ya... it doesn't matter what I think anyway... it only matters what you think.. I'm sure you did a nice job, you seem like the kind of guy that takes a lot of pride in doing something right... wish I lived closer.. I'd stop by and help you come up with a good idea for the deck/patio. Would be much easier if I could see the area you want to build.

Dinsdale is the man to talk to. I'm not sure but I'd bet he has a wealth of knowledge on deck building and most other chores like that.

Yesterday, while up this way visiting family, he installed a new stairway banister, spindles & posts for me at my house. He ordered the parts a couple months ago after a couple measurments and some pictures via the PM forum here.

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

The man is the finest craftsman I've run across. He was wayyyyyyyy over qualified for this job and good company to boot!!

That is excellent work... I love seeing talent like that.

I was just messin' with ya... it doesn't matter what I think anyway... it only matters what you think.. I'm sure you did a nice job, you seem like the kind of guy that takes a lot of pride in doing something right... wish I lived closer.. I'd stop by and help you come up with a good idea for the deck/patio. Would be much easier if I could see the area you want to build.

:) Well what do you think anyways, some pics below? I like showing off my work, because I don't get to often and it takes me forever to get stuff done but I do it right..

These are Oak stairs I put in (Long story, I got them used heh), I had a pro do the spindles, did all the sanding, painting and finish work:

Before:

3282412421_0c983c7113.jpg

After:

4108336912_2b33ea9ee3.jpg]

These are some older pics but... you get the idea.

Fire place was ugly painted brick... high hats, etc etc..... Before:

1801847337_0ca158c564.jpg

2037013442_15f5f4508c.jpg

I had someone come to measure the countertop, but I did everything else. Wife even helped with the backsplash!

Before (I know, crazy right?)

1085869549_bcea34fb5a.jpg

After:

2647450717_ea1bf3fd82.jpg

2648282994_e8f8eb0b94.jpg

I am most proud of is this bathroom out of anything in the house... We had to wait about a year after we did the main reno to do the upstairs bathroom to save up some extra cash. Then it took me about 2 months of weekends to do this, and I made my share of mistakes along the way with stupid measuring, thank god I had that 10% overage. Its not perfect, however the guy that came to put the glass door in said it was better then a lot of the tile "pro's" he has seen. I was pretty happy when he told me that true or not :) I did pay a pro do the the mud shower floor so it was the right pitch when I put the tile on (that was not going to mess with).

5046302324_fb2c39472c.jpg

5046301006_0be0f2345d.jpg

Ha...that Lawdwaz posting pics.......sneeky.

Thanks for kind words.

Good looking renovations you have done John. Not EVERY homeowner is a boob (like everyone in the trades we all have fixed our share of less than perfect efforts). LOL

Have to see some pics too to add any real opinion, but concrete isn't a terrible way to go if you are trying to stay low. I have done some Trex on sleepers with out much issue for mold/algea etc....but that site had a good slope and a Southern exposure that stayed pretty dry. Original slab was in great shape too......

Looking at that fireplace reminds me of this job........hid a flat screen with retracting flipper doors above this one.......

Before;

IMG_0937.jpg

After;

IMG_1451.jpg

Check to make sure you dont need a permit also for the deck. I put in a 13' x 33' deck a few yrs ago and a couple of days after I received a letter from the town saying they had noticed I put up a new deck without buying a permit or filling out the paper work and they were not pleased. I went down and filled out the paperwork which was a complete pain in the ass. I had to draw a diagram of the deck and measure the distance from the deck to the property lines and put in writting that the footers were 48 in deep since they werent able to visually insp and verify that they were. Paid my 25 dollars and never heard from them again. So hopefully if I ever sell the place I wont have to tear the deck off because it was never insp and approved. Funny thing is I live 20 min from the town hall, I think one of my neighbors tattled on me.

Ha...that Lawdwaz posting pics.......sneeky.

Thanks for kind words.

Good looking renovations you have done John. Not EVERY homeowner is a boob (like everyone in the trades we all have fixed our share of less than perfect efforts). LOL

Have to see some pics too to add any real opinion, but concrete isn't a terrible way to go if you are trying to stay low. I have done some Trex on sleepers with out much issue for mold/algea etc....but that site had a good slope and a Southern exposure that stayed pretty dry. Original slab was in great shape too......

Looking at that fireplace reminds me of this job........hid a flat screen with retracting flipper doors above this one.......

That's sweet.

Check to make sure you dont need a permit also for the deck. I put in a 13' x 33' deck a few yrs ago and a couple of days after I received a letter from the town saying they had noticed I put up a new deck without buying a permit or filling out the paper work and they were not pleased. I went down and filled out the paperwork which was a complete pain in the ass. I had to draw a diagram of the deck and measure the distance from the deck to the property lines and put in writting that the footers were 48 in deep since they werent able to visually insp and verify that they were. Paid my 25 dollars and never heard from them again. So hopefully if I ever sell the place I wont have to tear the deck off because it was never insp and approved. Funny thing is I live 20 min from the town hall, I think one of my neighbors tattled on me.

Doh!