What's up with Pete Rickard's Indian Buck Lure?

Grouse

I purchased 2 bottles of Indian Buck Lure this year.  I've always used it and I have always felt it works.  

The bottles I bought this year seem to have no scent to them.  This lure always had a very strong, pungent, musky scent to it and you could smell it very easily when you used it.  The ones I bought this year seem to have very little musk scent.   In fact, they have very little scent at all.  

Has the formula been changed?  I don't have any confidence in these new bottles and am quite disappointed in them.  I don't plan on buying more if this is what I will get from now on.  I sent an e-mail to Rickard's yesterday but have not gotten a reply yet.

Anyone have any idea what is the story with the one's I just bought.  I know many lure companies have been forced to go synthetic, buy I would think they would want to duplicate the old smell.  Anyone using something else they are happy with?

I don't have an answer for your question. But I went with out scents this year. I thought me using them was diminishing my chances of seeing bucks. My southern zone 4h&g uses never brought in bucks. I tried drags and hanging wicks. Up north 5j I have had a buck come to my wicks. I always wanted to buy Rickards, support the small guy. Unfortunately I would buy my license and lure at Wally World....they don't carry Pete's. 

I sent them an e-mail and got a reply.  The man said they haven't changed the formula and he was interested in calling me to discuss the situation.  I sent him my number and a good time to call.  We will see what results from that conversation.

So far it sounds like the man is concerned about the problem and what I told him in the e-mail.

• Like 2

I did have the virus about 1 year ago and did lose my sense of taste and smell for a little while.  The symptoms from the virus were joint pain, weakness, lack of energy and a slight fever, but that's it.  The sense of smell is fine now.  There is nothing I can't smell or taste.

I had some cotton in a tube with Indian Buck Lure in it from last year that I dumped out to use the fresh stuff.  Believe me, I could smell it.  I should have kept it and used it this year.

I love the smell of Hoppe's #9 and wish it worked as a deer lure.  Indian Buck Lure smells like schit, but the bucks seem to like it.  It actually smells just like the scent of a buck's tarsal glands.  Maybe they are attracted to it because they think another buck is around looking to breed their does.

Edited by Grouse

Just got a call from David at Rickard's.  He is sending me two bottles directly from the factory.  I bought mine online from an archery outlet called Bowhunting Outlet.com.  

David assured me the formula has not been changed and suspects the product was not properly stored in a refrigerated environment at the sellers location.

We also discussed how Indian Buck Lure has no actual deer product in it and cannot transmit CWD or EHD, but the lawmakers, in their infinite cluelessness, decided anything that isn't completely synthetic is no longer legal to sell in NY stores.  Rickard's is in PA and the law doesn't prevent them from shipping it directly to me in NY though.  How stupid is that?

This has the potential to put this small company out of business, as this is their most popular, best selling product and the sales are way down this year.  The government could put a lot of folks out of work and destroy some of these deer lure businesses without cause.

Rickard's doesn't have the cash to fight this law in court or lobby dumb lawmakers into correcting the law.  All they can do is hope no more states decide their product is a problem without giving them due respect and allow them to make their case beforehand. 

In the meantime, if you want to try a deer lure that I believe, after decades of use, actually works, you can order it direct from Rickard's.

https://www.peterickard.com/

• Like 1

So maybe the way I use my scent wicks is my problem? I have used the same wicks on different weekends. I just store them in a zip lock bag and dip them in the lure every time I go out and hang them.

Should I be using a fresh wick every weekend? They seem to smell the same to me all season. I have left them in the bag and smelled them over the summer, strong ammonia by that point. 

Rickards was from Cobleskill,NY. Just west of my town. I found some of his lure in my local gun shop. Dusty and not refrigerated....and the package still has his local Cobleskill address. So it must be old stock. I purchased a  bottle of his "Buck lure" ( no Indian lure in the shop). It still smells like urine to me, not spoiled like ammonia. You guys ever use old stuff that hasn't been opened in the woods?

He did say improper storage can have different effects on the Indian Buck Lure, anything from a really strong smell to none at all.  The basic message is, if it's not fresh, it probably won't have the same effect on bucks.  I just want to use something that works for me like it always has.  I appreciate what the company is doing for me and respect any company that still practices good customer service.

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

He did say improper storage can have different effects on the Indian Buck Lure, anything from a really strong smell to none at all.  The basic message is, if it's not fresh, it probably won't have the same effect on bucks.  I just want to use something that works for me like it always has.  I appreciate what the company is doing for me and respect any company that still practices good customer service.

Your local deer farm that collects urine will always Trump any store bought bulk scent. Companies like Tinks..and better yet the Code Blue crap of from one deer to one bottle stuff… comes from tractor trailers full of 55 gallon drums of deer urine bought straight from a farm. 

Many years ago a buddy and I drove to Rickards in Cobleskill to by some Scent. They were surprised we drove to their business instead of buying it at Walmart. They gave us a nice little discount. It was sad to see them leave for Pennsylvania.

Just one of thousands of businesses who found NY to be hostile to their struggle to be profitable.  It costs a lot of money for a company to pick up stakes and move to another state.  NY is making it so costly to stay in NY, these companies willingly pay the cost to move, in order to profit from it in the long run.

On 12/1/2021 at 10:24 PM, Meatball said:

I don't have an answer for your question. But I went with out scents this year. I thought me using them was diminishing my chances of seeing bucks. My southern zone 4h&g uses never brought in bucks. I tried drags and hanging wicks. Up north 5j I have had a buck come to my wicks. I always wanted to buy Rickards, support the small guy. Unfortunately I would buy my license and lure at Wally World....they don't carry Pete's. 

So going without , how did that pan out for you 

I have seen the same 5 does this year. Took one with my crossbow. A spike horn has come twice too. Still waiting for a buck to show up. The cameras by us show less deer than previous years, so I guess that's the trend I have been hearing from friends hunting in the capital district. 

I have been able to take deer  both with and without using lures.  Not sure if I could say using it has definitely made the difference , except for one buck a few years ago.  He was hot for it and made it obvious. 

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Just one of thousands of businesses who found NY to be hostile to their struggle to be profitable.  It costs a lot of money for a company to pick up stakes and move to another state.  NY is making it so costly to stay in NY, these companies willingly pay the cost to move, in order to profit from it in the long run.

Which cuts down on traffic, making things nicer for those of us who are strong enough to “tough it out”. 

• Haha 1