EverCalm deer herd scent.

wolc123

Can’t say enough good about it ,( I also apply to my boots ) had a buck follow my foot prints right too my ladder stand opening day of firearms unfortunately it was too dark for a shot . Have had numerous doe stick their noses in the air and looking for the new deer they smell . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Over the yrs I have come to realize that most scents work on deer 2.5yr or younger. Mature bucks and doe actually tend to avoid the area or always circle downwind to check it out thoroughly.

That had been my experience with other scents but not this one.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Can’t say enough good about it ,( I also apply to my boots ) had a buck follow my foot prints right too my ladder stand opening day of firearms unfortunately it was too dark for a shot . Have had numerous doe stick their noses in the air and looking for the new deer they smell . 

After applying it to the boot bottom how far do you walk before reapplying and do you walk right to your stand

7 minutes ago, luberhill said:

After applying it to the boot bottom how far do you walk before reapplying and do you walk right to your stand

I apply it to the back of the heel of each boot, a couple hundred yards from my stand.  

When I get to the stand, I wipe some on a branch or the trunk of a tree or the wood or metal  rails of my blind.  The “solid deoderant” type applicator is very convenient compared to liquids.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Well actually that opening morning I hadn’t applied any. It had been over a week since using it during bow. I would say I walked 175 -200 yards to my stand . I actually have the buck on cell cam cutting my trail a hour after I walked in . 
Another evercalm story , i also had a deer blowing at me during archery walking to my stand , i was in a low part of the dug road so pretty well hidden when the deer started blowing . I stoped and quickly pulled the evercalm out pulled the cap off and started waiving it in the air.  That deer gave a few more huffs and  quit blowing ,  now I can’t be 100 % certain that that’s what did it , but that deer did stop . 

14 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

LOL made to trap what’s in a mans wallet 

You can lol all you want , but I’m going off first hand experience . If I didn’t think it had merit I would say so . 

Edited by rob-c

The first time I used it was in 2017.  Prior to that, I hadn’t even seen a buck that looked like it was over 2.5 years of age, for about 5 years, while I was hunting.  

I had a close encounter with a 3.5 that year, and each year since, always using the Evercalm as I described in the earlier post.  The best part was, that I was able to not only see them, but to kill them, 4 out of 5 times.  I’d have hit that 5th one were it not for this dang smart phone.

When I connect the dots of those 5 bucks, the only common denominator is the EverCalm.

The real clincher for me was the one this past Friday.   I first saw him over 100 yards away thru some thick stuff and could immediately tell he was a shooter by the high rack. 

He was walking a parallel course to the field edge my 8 ft  high stand was on, 5 minutes after sunset.  When he reached   The closest point, he was directly downwind and near the trail i walked in on.

Before evercalm, any deer and especially older bucks sped up or bolted the instant they got my scent or crossed my entry trail.

He stopped and not just for an instant.  I could see his mid section, but his front and back were hidden behind trees.  He remained motionless long enough for me to clean the fog and snow off both of my scope lenses and ventilate his rib cage.  Now he is on a hook in the garage.  

FD096031-D873-4702-8AC4-D0E868C90CF5.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

It's a solid wax type scent , the problem with it is it stays when you leave..  my  friend uses it and all I can see is white stripes on trees around where he has sat ..  imo it hurts more than helps.  Deer will investigate and find human scent mixed with it during your absence..  then they just avoid..  friend is upset as he's hunted here 25 plus years and hasn't killed a bug buck..  new hunter show up and score  in a year or two.. the only thing he does differnt us he uses every call and scent he can...  imo  he hurts himself.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, G-Man said:

It's a solid wax type scent , the problem with it is it stays when you leave..  my  friend uses it and all I can see is white stripes on trees around where he has sat ..  imo it hurts more than helps.  Deer will investigate and find human scent mixed with it during your absence..  then they just avoid..  friend is upset as he's hunted here 25 plus years and hasn't killed a bug buck..  new hunter show up and score  in a year or two.. the only thing he does differnt us he uses every call and scent he can...  imo  he hurts himself.

Seems like a case of blaming the gear or the tactic vs the hunter.  

3 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

He uses it religiously , gets deer  but not the big ones. Sat above him 60 yards and watched a herd spook to his calls/ scent and double back he never saw them.. 

4 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Could be, because I had put it on that same stand 6 days prior (on opening day).  It does leave a residue.  A little 1.5 year old four point calmly fed 30 yards in front of my stand that evening and walked a circle around it within 50 yards without any alarm.

7 minutes ago, G-Man said:

He uses it religiously , gets deer  but not the big ones. Sat above him 60 yards and watched a herd spook to his calls/ scent and double back he never saw them.. 

Still seems case specific, rather than an indicator of the overall value/lack of.  All things in moderation.  I rarely use the stuff, but I would hesitate to discredit it because "I know a guy".  

I know an old timer that hunted some of the "bigger" woods in VT.  I asked him about scents like Tink's etc.  He believed in curiosity scents and swore that he would put vanilla or peanut butter up against any store bought scent, even on big bucks.  He thought that deer that had to travel to find other deer would check out any scent along the way.  

The argument I have heard about the foot application only, of an attractant scent,  is that it will lead bucks away from and not towards your location,  because the scent is strongest where you put it on (at your car, cabin, wheeler, etc), or in my case, about 200 yards from my spot. 

I tried to reverse that at a few times with Tinks 69 and others but the results were inconclusive.  I would apply it at my stand then backtrack in a few different directions.  The only buck that ever responded to any of that stuff, no matter how I used  it, was a button that ended up being my first archery kill.  I even used piss I had recovered from does killed during peak rut a time or two, with no positive results.

Not only has the Evercalm fooled (5) 3.5 year plus bucks for me, but it also worked on a doe at least that old, and a coyote (I almost got jumped once by one that had to have thought I was a deer).  Its reaction, when I lifted my ML just 7 yards away, was priceless.  

I rarely hunt a location more then once a week, so maybe that is long enough for the “residual effect” to wear off.  The old buck that showed up for me Friday night, at a location where I had wiped EverCalm 6 days prior, is pretty good proof of that.

Edited by wolc123