EverCalm deer herd scent.

wolc123

4 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

@wolc I can't believe you spend 20.00 a pop on that stuff. That must drive the price of your venison through the roof...lol

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Good point, and if it didn’t work so well, I certainly wouldn’t.  As cheap as I am, I even tried saving the unused stuff from one year to the next a couple times.  That didn’t pan out the first time, when I just left it in a drawer.  

It worked when I put a third of a stick in the freezer though.  That was the last year when I used the last of it up on the first day of northern zone gun season, and was not able to get a shot off at the monster that snuck to within 15 yards of me.  

I was too cheap to replace it after that and had to settle for a 2.5 year old buck at home later, that was dumb enough to come in to a grunt call.  

I think a new stick only cost $ 15 this year.  Based on his chest girth, that’s about 90 pounds of boneless red meat hanging in the garage, so that’s not a bad investment.  He’d have never stopped long enough for me to get off a shot, were it not for that Evercalm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good point, and if it didn’t work so well, I certainly wouldn’t.  As cheap as I am, I even tried saving the unused stuff from one year to the next a couple times.  That didn’t pan out the first time, when I just left it in a drawer.  

It worked when I put a third of a stick in the freezer though.  That was the last year when I used the last of it up on the first day of northern zone gun season, and was not able to get a shot off at the monster that snuck to within 15 yards of me.  

I was too cheap to replace it after that and had to settle for a 2.5 year old buck at home later, that was dumb enough to come in to a grunt call.  

I think a new stick only cost $ 15 this year.  Based on his chest girth, that’s about 90 pounds of boneless red meat hanging in the garage, so that’s not a bad investment.  He’d have never stopped long enough for me to get off a shot, were it not for that Evercalm.
Just good a nature ribbing.
Congrats on the buck....and glad it stopped to smell the ever calm before you graced it with a nice dose of lead!!

• Like 1

I use Evercalm as wolc described on my boots and like it. I don’t like seeing it on the trees in the area so I have started to wipe it on small bushes or down logs or even just some leaves. It’s worse than bright eyes for suspecting hunters in public ground.

A guy I just spoke to uses skunk essence on his boots and around his stand…that’s dedication

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, mlammerhirt said:

Just good a nature ribbing.
Congrats on the buck....and glad it stopped to smell the ever calm before you graced it with a nice dose of lead!!

No problem.  G-man has me a little worried now about the residual effect though.  I can’t fault him for raising the concern.  After all, he is the first to post the infamous PA chest girth chart on this site, on which I have grown so dependent. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I use Evercalm as wolc described on my boots and like it. I don’t like seeing it on the trees in the area so I have started to wipe it on small bushes or down logs or even just some leaves. It’s worse than bright eyes for suspecting hunters in public ground.

A guy I just spoke to uses skunk essence on his boots and around his stand…that’s dedication

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Jeremy using the Evercalm as deoderant trumps that.  

I sprung for one of those Scent-away deoderant sticks this year and that may have helped with that old buck and doe that I was able to fool. I also use their body wash/shampoo and a Scent-factor jacket.   Both got down wind of me before they caught my lead.  

Great idea on the leaves and bushes.

Edited by wolc123

Great stuff.  I also use it on the soles of my boots. Have watched does multiple times each yr cross my tracks and not get alarmed. Have had smaller bucks walk up to my stand a bunch of times. Can't say I've lured in a big buck with it, but not having does get nervous and alerting other deer in the area, is a win for me. 

• Like 2

Soo by using this product ,you don’t have to worry about over hunting a specific spot ?deer will fee comfortable right ?im sure my ?will go unanswered but i figured I’d ask .Just trying to learn more about this .Most deer I hunt I walk down the same paths daily ,and for 22 years never had a problem filling tags .

Sounds like I have been missing out 

Maybe I’m set in my ways ,never spent a dime on these products and use cheap camo.

I may be a bit defensive about the whole scent issue ,for years trapping k9s you hear guys going above and beyond for scent control ,it’s nonsense.These animals will know your there .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

Soo by using this product ,you don’t have to worry about over hunting a specific spot ?deer will fee comfortable right ?im sure my ?will go unanswered but i figured I’d ask .Just trying to learn more about this .Most deer I hunt I walk down the same paths daily ,and for 22 years never had a problem filling tags .

Sounds like I have been missing out 

Maybe I’m set in my ways ,never spent a dime on these products and use cheap camo.

I may be a bit defensive about the whole scent issue ,for years trapping k9s you hear guys going above and beyond for scent control ,it’s nonsense.These animals will know your there .

Yup, its magic, you never have to worry about overhunting your spot or your scent again....!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also use it religiously. It's the only scent product I've used where I am confident that it helped me rather than hurt me. I don't use it as an attractant, but as a cover scent. I apply it to the bottoms and sides of my boots before every walk in. I don't worry about reapplying it after any given distance, and sometimes my hike is near a mile to the stand. I've watched deer cut and follow my track within minutes of me and they don't spook. Usually one stick seems to last about a year and a half for me, and that's about 30ish uses. Not bad for the $20/stick. I'm curious about their VS estrous drip or solid bar.. but at $45 for the bar, it's a bit much.

After reading everyone’s accounts, I am leaning towards just applying it on my boot heels, and not wiping any near or on my permanent stands and blinds henseforth.   An easy “compromise”, will be to simply remove the top cover from the stick, and place it nearby, while I am hunting the location.

That way, I can cover it back up, and take it with me when I leave, not leaving any waxy residue behind that nocturnal visitors may later correlate with human scent.  Even if it don’t work, an added bonus is that the stick will last longer, saving me some cash.

With that new trick, the third of a stick that I still have should last me until the end of the holiday ML season.  That may be up to 26 more hunts total, including the last weekend of SZ gun, normal SZ   ML weekend, and Holiday ML week. I still have a ML buck tag and 3 dmp’s for home.

The Evercalm on my boot heels   was without question the key to this year’s 3.5 year old buck’s trip to “deer Heaven”, just as my grunt call was for a 2.5 year old last season.  

B4AA21C3-4A59-446F-AC65-3FA96DA22D6C.jpeg

26D939F4-3359-4B54-9DF3-1D042A867191.jpeg

Edited by wolc123