Meat ok when stomach is broken ?

luberhill

So the doe I killed last Sunday and didn’t find until the next morning ..

The rib had broken the stomach, it was mid 30s that night.. I shot it at 5 minutes before dark and found at 7 am the next morning , gutted and took to the butcher.

Ive seen some say the meat is no good because the stomach was broken and others say no problem or the butcher would have tossed etc..

So the only meat that really would be touched by stomach contents would be the inner tenderloins right ?

Im going to thaw one now and cook it tonight .

The meat all looks dark red and I noticed no ill smell …

So if the tenderloin smells and tastes ok it all should be fine right ?

Edited by luberhill

• luberhill changed the title to Meat ok when stomach is broken ?
4 minutes ago, luberhill said:

So the doe I killed last Sunday and didn’t find until the next morning ..

The rib had broken the stomach, it was mid 30s that night.. I shot it at 5 minutes before dark and found at 7 am the next morning , gutted and took to the butcher.

Ive seen some say the meat is no good because the stomach was broken and others say no problem or the butcher would have tossed etc..

So the only meat that really would be touched by stomach contents would be the inner tenderloins right ?

Im going to thaw one now and cook it tonight .

The meat all looks dark red and I noticed no ill smell …

So if the tenderloin smells and tastes ok it all should be fine right ?

Correct.  Even though. You will probably get the phantom smell or taste, because it's in your head.lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ncountry said:

Correct.  Even though. You will probably get the phantom smell or taste, because it's in your head.lol

Like I said it looks normal , all the meat does ..and the butcher I use is very good ..

I would assume he would have tossed it if in question or at least told me 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

It should be fine. Plenty of gut shot deer have been consumed with no ill effects. If anything was bad your butcher would have tossed it. I suspect you didn't lose much meat at all. 

That’s what I’m thinking ..I figure the only spot the contents would touch would be the inner loins ..

The hams , shoulders neck etc and back straps all should be out of touch anyway ..

Ill try the tenderloin tonight ..if I don’t post back pls call 911

• Like 1

That’s the main reason why I like to cut my own…if it’s suspect I toss it which is also why my yield is nowhere near the max poundage on charts. I much prefer to have less but PERFECT meat and since doe tags are readily available (but not always easy to fill) I’d rather shoot an extra deer anyhow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, crappyice said:

That’s the main reason why I like to cut my own…if it’s suspect I toss it which is also why my yield is nowhere near the max poundage on charts. I much prefer to have less but PERFECT meat and since doe tags are readily available (but not always easy to fill) I’d rather shoot an extra deer anyhow

Yea as I said this guy is good .. no hair, bone etc ,all trimmed and shrink wrapped ..

Never had any question or bad taste etc and I’ve used him for the past 5 yrs

• Like 1

with these temps the meat is fine. I will always rinse down a gut shot or gut spilled deer. I will always rinse tenderloins regardless, but I also eat them in a day or so and never freeze them. If there is anything here to worry about it's the tenderloins. Everything else is fine so long as it smells and looks ok. you WILL know when it's not. 

For extra precaution, freeze everything and don't eat any of it for a few weeks if you're really, really worried. Very little to no bacteria is going to survive that and then of course cook everything like you normally wood. At this point you're in the clear for food safety and entering in the "taste" part of it. Again, you'll know. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

with these temps the meat is fine. I will always rinse down a gut shot or gut spilled deer. I will always rinse tenderloins regardless, but I also eat them in a day or so and never freeze them. If there is anything here to worry about it's the tenderloins. Everything else is fine so long as it smells and looks ok. you WILL know when it's not. 

For extra precaution, freeze everything and don't eat any of it for a few weeks if you're really, really worried. Very little to no bacteria is going to survive that and then of course cook everything like you normally wood. At this point you're in the clear for food safety and entering in the "taste" part of it. Again, you'll know. 

Yea these have been at -14 in my chest freezer for a week

• Like 1

This is very simple… meat is not porous. If you cook the outside of the meat any bacteria that was there is now gone..

No gut shot meat is bad as long as it is being cooked.

I would just be careful about what goes in the grinder since most people don’t eat burger well done

• Like 2

I shot a doe yrs ago that was gut shot.  25° overnight. Found her the next morning. Cleaned and washed her out really good. Every time I cooked a piece of her, I'd get a slight hint of gut smell. Couldn't really taste it, but she went to dog food. 

It's the reason I will never let a gut shot sit overnight. I'll go back in at midnight.

• Like 1

I shot a doe yrs ago that was gut shot.  25° overnight. Found her the next morning. Cleaned and washed her out really good. Every time I cooked a piece of her, I'd get a slight hint of gut smell. Couldn't really taste it, but she went to dog food. 
It's the reason I will never let a gut shot sit overnight. I'll go back in at midnight.

Dr Seuss said it best…”I do not like it in a box I do not like it with a Fox…!!!!”
Just about my sentiment regarding any inner tenderloin. Ridicule away but it’s inside marinading with all them death juices. Just not for me.
a00a4cbdf68a2123a3f6204bd05a7506.jpg
These can’t be any cleaner from a heart shot last year….still gave them away.

2 hours ago, mowin said:

Can’t imagine how the backstraps , hams and or neck and shoulders would even have any contact with gut juice ..

Zero hint of any “gut smell” on these inner loins 

24 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Dr Seuss said it best…”I do not like it in a box I do not like it with a Fox…!!!!”
Just about my sentiment regarding any inner tenderloin. Ridicule away but it’s inside marinading with all them death juices. Just not for me.

Why pray tell would you give them away

2 hours ago, Chef said:

This is very simple… meat is not porous. If you cook the outside of the meat any bacteria that was there is now gone..

No gut shot meat is bad as long as it is being cooked.

I would just be careful about what goes in the grinder since most people don’t eat burger well done

But any burger meat wouldn’t touch the inner cavity anyway 

But any burger meat wouldn’t touch the inner cavity anyway 

Not necessarily true… the inside of the hinds could depending on how the deer was dressed. Also I know People that put the meat from between the ribs in their grind

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again….

I just can’t with you…..

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, luberhill said:

Can’t imagine how the backstraps , hams and or neck and shoulders would even have any contact with gut juice ..

Zero hint of any “gut smell” on these inner loins 

Only giving you my experience with gut shot deer, and how I handle the recovery. 

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

to each his own, as long as someone eats them... but damn man that's my favorite cut. It's tradition in my family to eat them fresh the night of or after. Never froze one in my life. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3