Meat ok when stomach is broken ?

luberhill

50 minutes ago, ncountry said:

OK. 

I think the consensus is

1: meat is fine 

2: to be safe let your wife try 1st

3: mowin is crazy (happy birthday!  and sorry mowin).;)

Lol, I've been called worse.  

I imagine some factors come into play. How fast did the deer die? If dead in a couple hrs, and it sits until the next morning, will make a difference compared to one that's alive several hrs and laid dead for only a couple hrs. 

• Like 1

Why pray tell would you give them away

They smell gutty to me always!!!
We ripped some out once from a fresh kill and cooked over an open fire…chewy! Thinking they were too fresh and never went through rigor.

I’ll trade you my inners for your heart(unless you blow it out!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

They smell gutty to me always!!!
We ripped some out once from a fresh kill and cooked over an open fire…chewy! Thinking they were too fresh and never went through rigor.

I’ll trade you my inners for your heart(unless you blow it out!!)

I’ll take that trade 

• Like 1

So serious question as I must be doing something wrong:
I usually hang my meat for 3-5 days in outdoor weather if temps are right or quarter and hang in a deer fridge if too hot.
By the time I am ready to butcher, the loins are leathery and not appetizing.
And yet when I ripped them out and ate them the same day as a kill they were tough.
What’s the correct handling of inner loins? Do you rinse your cavity? Mixed opinions on this step too.

9 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I usually hang my meat for 3-5 days in outdoor weather if temps are right or quarter and hang in a deer fridge if too hot.
And yet when I ripped them out and ate them the same day as a kill they were tough.
What’s the correct handling of inner loins? Do you rinse your cavity? Mixed opinions on this step too.

Humm well I always take mine to the butcher same day I kill it ..

He skins and hangs it in the cooler for a day or so..

The inner loins i always just put a little olive oil, salt and pepper and cook med rare!

They are always very very tender cut with a fork !

19 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I never touch them with any water, which can promote bactetia growth.  If any piss or gut juice touched them during the gutting process then I rinse them with fresh blood from ahead of the daiaphram. 

I remove them, wipe them dry with clean paper towels, put them in a zip lock bag, and into the fridge.  They are good to eat right away if the deer is less than 8 months old, but should remain in fridge for about an week minimum if older.

I will be having some for supper tomorrow, after 6 days in the fridge.

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

We pull tenderloins the day the deer is killed.  They can dry out easily, and they are already tender, there's no benefit to aging them.  We have gotten in the habit of rinsing the cavity, especially if there was damage to the stomach or guts.  But even with a heart/lung shot deer, I'm not opposed to rinsing with water from the hose and then drying well with paper towels.   

Edit:  I don't know why they are tough for you same day... must be tougher downstate deer compared to the cow-like ag-fed fatties that I deal with out here. 

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

I pull them the same day or the next day at the latest. They will either get eaten that day or be put into a zip lock bag to be saved in the fridge for when we can have them for dinner but never frozen. I'll cook them in the cast iron pan with salt, pepper, garlic, onions and mushrooms to medium rare and I've never had them be anything but tender. 

I'm cooking Saturday's spike buck tonight and the loins where pulled Sunday late afternoon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnplav said:

We pull tenderloins the day the deer is killed.  They can dry out easily, and they are already tender, there's no benefit to aging them.  We have gotten in the habit of rinsing the cavity, especially if there was damage to the stomach or guts.  But even with a heart/lung shot deer, I'm not opposed to rinsing with water from the hose and then drying well with paper towels.   

Edit:  I don't know why they are tough for you same day... must be tougher downstate deer compared to the cow-like ag-fed fatties that I deal with out here. 

There might be something to that.  One side tenderloin, from the old Adirondack doe that I killed during early ML this fall, was quite chewy for breakfast the next morning.  After 5 days in the fridge, that from the other side was quite tender, when cooked the same way.  She may have been 4.5 years old though, and I think the age of the deer is the biggest driver in how long it takes to pass the rigor mortis. 

I have eaten a lot of them fresh from corn-fed wny deer and they were never too tough.  I think the buck I killed last Friday night in wny may have also been 4.5 years old, so I am giving those 6 days in the fridge, just to be safe.  I like them a lot better when they are tender.  

• Like 1

We have a tradition. First deer of the yr in our butcher shop( private shop), the inners get pulled, rinsed off. There often warm when pulled, so they get cooled in ice water. 

There then fired with butter and enjoyed by whoever is there. I can safely say, there's no reason that I can figure out why some are tender and some not.  We've had yearlings that were tough as hell and old hag does that were tender as butter. Same with bucks. Most deer died within seconds.  With 12+ guys bringing their deer to the shop for the past 25+ yrs, that's a lot of deer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Backstraps are the best part by far.

Salt & pepper and sit out until room temp.

Then grilled quick & hot. Amazing.

If the whole deer was backstraps I’d shoot does in December.

3b3043e4bec2bc3759f6022d0a019aad.jpg
2b9c228143539403cdcb3c92b6e56bc8.jpg
74ae3c44e48a4895040d91032e352bf8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I prefer back straps far better than the inners. 

• Like 1

We have a tradition. First deer of the yr in our butcher shop( private shop), the inners get pulled, rinsed off. There often warm when pulled, so they get cooled in ice water. 
There then fired with butter and enjoyed by whoever is there. I can safely say, there's no reason that I can figure out why some are tender and some not.  We've had yearlings that were tough as hell and old hag does that were tender as butter. Same with bucks. Most deer died within seconds.  With 12+ guys bringing their deer to the shop for the past 25+ yrs, that's a lot of deer. 

Listen to the Meateater podcast episode about meat and meat processing. I’m no expert, but I’d suspect you are sometimes taking out and cooking the tenderloins at peak rigor mortis.

• Like 2

It’s my favorite cut and 90% of my loins are removed the day of kill and marinated over night for the next days dinner. Medium rare.

13 hours ago, onlybrowning said:

Listen to the Meateater podcast episode about meat and meat processing. I’m no expert, but I’d suspect you are sometimes taking out and cooking the tenderloins at peak rigor mortis.

It's possible. Remember it's just the first deer of the year in the shop. All other are properly cooled before processing. But I still prefer back straps over the inners. 

Edited by mowin

On 12/1/2021 at 8:29 PM, onlybrowning said:

I think that is most folks problem with tenderloins.  Generally, the older the deer, the longer it takes to get past that.

My best guess on this does age is 4.5.  One of her tenderloins was tough as hell,  the day after she died, maybe the toughest I ever had.  The other one was considerably more tender, but still tougher than average, after 5 days in the fridge. 

My best guess on this buck’s age is 3.5.  After 6 days in the fridge, his tenderloins may have been the most tender I have ever had.  He was certainly corn fed though (see gut pile), so that may have had an effect. 

Besides the time in the fridge, the age of the deer, and the diet of the deer, some say how fast they die has an effect on tenderness.  The doe was DRT from a shoulder blade shot, which also penetrated thru both lungs.  

The buck trotted off about 60 yards after taking a slug thru both lungs, centered on the second last rib.  

9C47CD86-E2BD-4209-8331-4B875752BE0D.jpeg

9FB75355-C0EC-4AD4-B9FE-0886591C2C09.jpeg

9FC0A013-14AC-44FE-970D-804F8AF5A537.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 1